Where do you want to be laid to rest?

TWINKLE

France or Britain?

I'm wondering about this as it has just dawned on me that soon, I'll have been living in France just as long as I lived  in Britain. 

I think I want to be buried in the village cemetary where my husbands grandparents are buried and where his parents will be too -  if we stay here until then that is.  Anyway - I'm sure it'll be a French funeral for me.

Been absent from the forum for a long time and so sorry for coming back with such a maudlin subject -  but I'm curious?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a member of the Association de Crématistes, and if you wish to be cremated as opposed to being buried I suggest you look into it, as cremation is far from either the norm (no pun) or automatic in France, a situation which comes from the importance of the Catholic church.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Thank you, I will. But is it not now simply the bureaucracy rather than the cathos?[/quote]

Probably.

But you do have to leave an easy to find statement of intent.

By being part of this Association they undertake to take charge of everything  if your next of kin can't get there.

And being France new laws were passed last year about the treatment of YOUR ashes.

For example they can no longer be kept at home.

This is yet another area into which Brits abroad stumble believing that things in France are the same as in the UK.

[quote user="NormanH"]I am a member of the Association de Crématistes, and if you wish to be cremated as opposed to being buried I suggest you look into it, as cremation is far from either the norm (no pun) or automatic in France, a situation which comes from the importance of the Catholic church.
[/quote]

I want to be buried thank you NormanH

Where do I want to be laid to rest?

I'll be dead. I won't be "resting" anywhere. Having seen a few dead bodies in my time, to me the body is an irrelevant shell once whatever it is that animates that body departs. I definitely want to be cremated as anything else would be a waste of space but as to what happens to my ashes... well, it's of no interest to me. Those decisions have to be made by the next-of-kin and they have to do what feels right for them and what aids their grieving process.

Assuming anyone is
grieving... [6]

Nice to see you Twinks.
[:D]

[quote user="NormanH"]Ok.
Another good reason for me to stop posting again.
I try to give sensible and known information for people who live in France (The Forum is called 'Living France' ) and I am completely ignored by people who assume they will die in England.
Why are they posting here?
[/quote]

Are we having a tantrum NormanH?

I don't really care. I don't believe in Heaven or Hell (although on an off day I feel I might be living the latter) nor reincarnation, this is it, as good as it gets. So seeing as I will be dead it won't worry me. The only people that it effects is those that out live you but then why panda to their wishes?

[quote user="Quillan"]I don't really care. I don't believe in Heaven or Hell (although on an off day I feel I might be living the latter) nor reincarnation, this is it, as good as it gets. So seeing as I will be dead it won't worry me. The only people that it effects is those that out live you but then why panda to their wishes?[/quote]

Hi Quillan,

What have bears got to do with it!

[quote user="NormanH"](The Forum is called 'Living France' ) [/quote]

A 'Dead in France' forum would be a bit quiet.

[quote user="NormanH"]Why are they posting here?[/quote]

Because they can. [:P]

There are crematoriums (crematoria?) in France. I believe there's a very nice new and shiny crematorium in Caen (or there's due to be) for eg. Where's the difficulty in arranging it?

http://www.afif.asso.fr/english/cremation.htm

[quote user="Catalpa"]Where do I want to be laid to rest?

I'll be dead. I won't be "resting" anywhere. Having seen a few dead bodies in my time, to me the body is an irrelevant shell once whatever it is that animates that body departs. I definitely want to be cremated as anything else would be a waste of space but as to what happens to my ashes... well, it's of no interest to me. Those decisions have to be made by the next-of-kin and they have to do what feels right for them and what aids their grieving process.

Assuming anyone is
grieving... [6]

Nice to see you Twinks.
[:D]

[/quote]

What she says... [:)]

[quote user="Quillan"]I don't really care. I don't believe in Heaven or Hell (although on an off day I feel I might be living the latter) nor reincarnation, this is it, as good as it gets. So seeing as I will be dead it won't worry me. The only people that it effects is those that out live you but then why panda to their wishes?[/quote]

Hello Quillan ye of the chilly office!

So is it just my  French in-laws that make such a fuss of where they want to go when they pop their sabots?  Personally I wouldn't want to have to make that sort of decision for anybody. It's bad enough losing a loved one without the dilema of deciding where they should be laid to rest. 

Well it's important to me anyway. (Stamping my foot and puffing out my cheeks 'cos' you're not playing my game now!)