Meeting the Mayor

VandA

Hi,

We have made an appointment to meet the Mayor of our local town (pop. c5000) tomorrow and are wondering what one is supposed to say at these meetings!

We'll do the introduction bit, enchanté etc but then what? We are converting a stable block in our garden into a gite, which presumably she'll know about as we have a permis for it. Should we mention that? Can we ask if the town can offer any support, like signs, or should that wait till nearer opening?

I understand we have to remain formal too, calling her 'Madame le Maire' at all times too. Any other advice?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the purpose of the meeting is just to introduce yourself, then unless you have something of interest to a Maire of a town that size, it'd just be polite small talk for a few minutes then take your leave.

Whilst your gite plans are unlikely to be of particular interest to her, you can discuss the benefit to the commune of bringing visitors in.  You could also ask her if there is any help available so that you can maximise this potential community benefit., eg by providing some road signs........[;-)]

[quote user="VandA"]Hi, We have made an appointment to meet the Mayor of our local town (pop. c5000) tomorrow and are wondering what one is supposed to say at these meetings! [/quote]

I could understand the Maire asking this question but you surely must have had a reason to ask for the meeting so that should be your point of discussion.

You could perhaps ask is there anything else that as new arrivals and etrangers we should be aware of?

Our Mairie supplied road signs (free of charge) for us, without even being asked, although our commune is somewhat smaller and they were probably thrilled to have even one more business opening up.

The Mayor also arranged for our accommodation to be listed in the local tourist office brochure for us.

However, it may be worth getting to know her a bit before starting to ask for things!

And there was me thinking this was 'the thing to do'!

In fact she was as charming as she could be - very keen to see us establish our gite and behind us '200%'. She said she'd be very happy to apply any pressure to the Conseils Generale and Regionale on our behalf.

She commented how pleased she was we'd been to see her as it showed us as being 'open' and welcoming. And she said she'd be happy to cut the ribbon when we come to open for the first time.

All in all well worth a visit, and nice to be 'known' in the town rather than just hiding behind our gates.

[quote user="VandA"]And there was me thinking this was 'the thing to do'!

In fact she was as charming as she could be - very keen to see us establish our gite and behind us '200%'. She said she'd be very happy to apply any pressure to the Conseils Generale and Regionale on our behalf.

She commented how pleased she was we'd been to see her as it showed us as being 'open' and welcoming. And she said she'd be happy to cut the ribbon when we come to open for the first time.

All in all well worth a visit, and nice to be 'known' in the town rather than just hiding behind our gates.[/quote]

What a hilarious idea [:D][:)][:)]

'Known' in what sense and by whom?

Of course she would say that..she is a politician.

Post edited by the moderators.

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="VandA"]And there was me thinking this was 'the thing to do'! In fact she was as charming as she could be - very keen to see us establish our gite and behind us '200%'. She said she'd be very happy to apply any pressure to the Conseils Generale and Regionale on our behalf. She commented how pleased she was we'd been to see her as it showed us as being 'open' and welcoming. And she said she'd be happy to cut the ribbon when we come to open for the first time. All in all well worth a visit, and nice to be 'known' in the town rather than just hiding behind our gates.[/quote]

What a hilarious idea [:D][:)][:)]

What have you done to be known or respected? And more important to whom could you be useful?

Of courrse she would say that..she is a politician.

[/quote]

Reading between the lines, an offer to make Conseil a feminine substantive was made.

La Conseil Regionale looks impressive.

Post edited by the moderators.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

VandA made the effort to introduce themselves to the Maire

[/quote]

I too did this, I tried really hard but kept getting blocked by his secretary, unfortunately I was unaware of what introduire actually meant in French, to his credit Mr Le Maire didnt apprise me and kept a straight face throughout our meeting.

They still giggle when I go into the Mairie now but I have probably made other faux pas's since then.

Glad it all went well, and I think it's good to meet the Mayor and get them onside. I'm moving to a new place next year, and the Mayor for the commune is going to be my nextdoor neighbour (not quite immediate, but their house is visible from the bottom of the garden), so I'm hoping we get on okay!

Well done to original poster - there is nothing wrong (believe it or not) in doing what you believe is correct. Sounds like a good result anyway.

Besides which, there seem to be some people on here these days who have little to do except slag off newbies.

I was a newbie once and (except once!) I was given loads of good advice for (in hindsight) what were perhaps slightly naive questions at times. But until you have lived somewhere for a while you are almost certainly going to have some naive questions - it's not a sin.

Glad it went well - sorry - not often given to venting !

Please note:

Some comments on this thread have been edited by the moderators. Others have been deleted.

By posting on the forum you agree to abide by the code of conduct stated above and the terms and conditions.

Please do not post messages which:

• Are insulting, abusive,

racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are

individuals or companies, users of the Forum or not. This includes

material sent via personal e-mails through this forum.

• Threaten, intimidate, victimise or harass others.

• Use the service in a manner deemed inappropriate by Archant

• Impede or disrupt the flow of the discussions in the Forum

Forum Moderators

[quote user="londoneye"]Well done to original poster - there is nothing wrong (believe it or not) in doing what you believe is correct. Sounds like a good result anyway.

Besides which, there seem to be some people on here these days who have little to do except slag off newbies.

I was a newbie once and (except once!) I was given loads of good advice for (in hindsight) what were perhaps slightly naive questions at times. But until you have lived somewhere for a while you are almost certainly going to have some naive questions - it's not a sin.

Glad it went well - sorry - not often given to venting ![/quote]

Newbies ?

The original poster , (Vanda) joined the forum in 2004

If you talk to a French person about the idea of meeting the Major to introduce yourself when you move into the town or village, they think you are joking! Not sure where this myth has arisen and if everyone did this, the Major of a larger village or town would not have the time to do anything else than shake hands with new arrivals!

We nearly bought in a hamlet in the Drome, where it was suggested I help out at the local school, teaching English informally. If we'd bought, I'd probably have gone to see the mayor. The town we bought in has about 8,500 inhabitants. It never occurred to me to attempt to see the mayor.. We do see photos of him in the local paper at least 3 times weekly at local events, and often see him at them, such as when he buys a big truffle at the annual truffle fair, but we've never met him.