Dechetterie

Mac

In the UK- at least where we live-you are not allowed to use a van to take items to the local rubbish tip as that is deemed a commercial vehicle. Does the same apply in France as we have a large van which we will be using when we first take possession of our house to clear garden rubbish ect?

Also in UK you can take most things to the council tip and seperate out into different dumping areas e.g garden waste,small amounts of demolition rubbish,old carpets ect. Can these be taken to the dechetterie in France and where can I find a list of rules or will they be different for each area?

You can take virtually anything to your dechetterie, in virtually any vehicle, afaik (although our own wouldn't take a lorry, a large van would be fine and it certainly is not policed in the way in which the council tip was in Tunbridge Wells - the main proviso is that you must be a local tax payer) although there may be a limit to the cubic meter-age allowed per visit.  To find out about any local rules you need to ask at your mairie, who will also issue you with the permit you need to use your local one.

When we have used our local dechetterie it has been staffed and they told us what to put where viz separating building rubble, gardening waste etc.  They helped us sort through and chuck the rubbish into the various skips.  We found the system to be very efficient and the staff very helpful.

There are limits which will vary according to each commune, mine is 1M3 per load and also non particuliers have to pay from â‚Ĵ7 to â‚Ĵ15 according to what is being dumped.

In practice these are not enforced unless you take the p155 and it pays to drop the guys a pourboire once in a while.

During the course of a few days I managed to fill a complete benne with multiple trailer loads of  rubble and had to wait for the new one to take its place, there was barely anything in it that wasnt mine!

Its no exaggeration to say that I have saved many thousands of pounds on waste disposal compared to a similar chantier in the UK where I would now have to use skips.

No need for cards in my local one as far as I know. I was once asked which commune I was from and thats all.

My only gripe with the place is that they are very strict in not letting you TAKE things from the skips....the scrap metal pile often has allsorts of intersting things in it, but removal is strictly off-limits. However, its in a rural location and the fences are pretty low.........but that involves a second trip, which is a hassle I would rather avoid.

The one local to my last house was run by a jumped up little bloke who went through everything you had and also was very particular about proof of residence.  So as always it varies and you need to check it out for yourself.

AS Chancer says, they do get to know you and he even smiled once, it might have been wind though!!

[quote user="Mac"]Thanks for the answers. So when I start paying my taxes ( foncaire & habitation) I just go to the marie and get a permit?[/quote]I don't think you need to wait for a tax bill - I didn't - just go to your mairie when you're ready.  But unlike some on here our dechetterie is pretty strict and always asks for the permit (even though they know me and say hello!) so I think it's worth finding out if it's needed in your area before you load up a large van with stuff and find they won't let you in.

Our local place (it serves about half a dozen communes) is run by a charming petite lady who keeps the place immaculate. She does ask for your commune and surname and I think that they must check it, otherwise why bother to ask?

She has a little office-size building, with a desk & a pc, fresh flowers etc. One of those ladies who none of the salty dudes who turn up there would ever dare to cross (and I include myself in that category!).

The place is kms from anywhere, yet one night a couple of years ago, some idiots thought it would be fun to torch her little building. Happily rebuilt now, but I wonder if she put out a contract on them?[blink]     

On our first visit to the dechetterie we found a barrier in our way. I went in, spoke to the cheery chap, told him we were residents and were allowed in. He said to take along proof of residency next time we went. Weeks later on our next visit, I showed him the electricity bill and bank statement and was told our card would be available in a month or so, and was given a paper one to use in the meantime. On our next visit our card was ready and waiting, so we now just drive in through the barrier using it.

They also have a brick building, with a very well-organised system for cards etc and an equally well-organised system for different types of rubbish and recycling. There are little tables, presumably brought in as rubbish, to rest boxes of newspaper etc as you throw it in the dump, and the chaps are very helpful when emptying the car.

It's a sort of mini version of our UK tip, which was totally remodelled a few years ago. That was completed just before Christmas, and I remember joking with one of the very helpful men that they could wear their top hats and tails for a NY's dance. It's all under cover, very smart, and apart from getting rubbish flying back at you when the wind's in the wrong direction, it's also excellent.

Our dechetterie is great.

Think we showed our card the first time but never again.

The staff keeps the place immaculate and also help you unload.

Never a problem with what we take down - the chap got very excited when we took down some fire wood - got told to put it in one particular place whilst he went to get his trailer.

[quote user="PaulT"]Our dechetterie is great.

Think we showed our card the first time but never again.

The staff keeps the place immaculate and also help you unload.

Never a problem with what we take down .[/quote]

The same with the one we go to most often. The staff decorate it with plants in pots - I wonder if they've rescued them from the gardening skips. There's never any rubbish just scattered about, eveything's neat and tidy.

The way that this thread is going, I think that we all ought to take pics and have a vote for 'Dechetterie of the Year'.

Points for welcome / cleanliness / variety of bins / quality of what you can pilfer / ambience.

Our local (out of 5), gets 5 / 5 / 4 / 2 / 3 = 19/25.  Good quality tip. Let down on what's dumped.  Ambience not helped by the burning vegetation.

[6]   

Nice idea!

Welcome: 3

Cleanliness: 5

Variety of bins: 5

PQ: 2 (our place is too tiny for any extras, and we have no way of burning wood - maybe I'll amend that after our next visit, when I'll sniff about a bit!)

Ambience: 4

Total: 19

Maybe photos ought to be taken of the winner!

There's never stuff burning. Once a lorry turned up with a load still smoking; it was sent away very quickly, until the smouldering load was behaving itself! It's also very convenient; not too far out of town, and close to Carrefour, so it saves on petrol costs!  Bonus point?  [:D]

Around me the only fly tipping seems to be asbestos as only the dechettrie at Amiens accepts it and of course oly from residents.

Other than that I think the system works well here in France, in the UK whilst no restrictions on residency to go in to the municipal tip there are so many regulations barring anything remotely connected to trade waste, only small single axle trailers, no fourgonettes, etc etc, and the fact that an individual or tradesman/company cannot even take their rubbish to a trade waste site without a license that we see the mountains of fly tipping.