Roma: EU to take legal action against France

velcorin

[quote user="Patmobile"]Brussels has withdrawn the threat of legal action in the European Court.  It's clear they have realised they have no winnable case.  As predicted by....

Patrick

[/quote]

The first sentence may be true (you have provided no link to prove it).

The second has nothing to do with the first., and there is nothing clear about the case, as you would understand if you read  French., or had a modicum of legal training.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="Patmobile"]Brussels has withdrawn the threat of legal action in the European Court.  It's clear they have realised they have no winnable case.  As predicted by....

Patrick
[/quote]
The first sentence may be true (you have provided no link to prove it).
The second has nothing to do with the first., and there is nothing clear about the case, as you would understand if you read  French., or had a modicum of legal training.

[/quote]

I also agree that Padraig seems to confuse the European Court of Human Rights and the European Court of Justice.

In Deux-Sèvres we have a court in Niort; a European Court but not one of THE European Courts; just a modest indefinite article.

[quote user="Patmobile"]Brussels has withdrawn the threat of legal action in the European Court.  It's clear they have realised they have no winnable case.  As predicted by....

Patrick
[/quote]

Pat, can you give us a link please, I would like to read this article. I have spent about 20 minutes searching through the French online papers and can't find anything but then that might be me. I would have thought a 'win' for France would have been spread all over the papers.

REUTERS

"Viviane Reding, the EU's

fundamental rights commissioner, dropped her previous accusation that the

“disgraceful” policy amounted to illegal discrimination against gipsies.

Instead, she warned France that it was in technical breach of EU law by failing to properly incorporate

a 2004 free movement directive into national law, a substantial softening of

her previous position.

“The Commission accepted France’s assurances that the measures taken have

neither the aim nor the effect of targeting a specific 'minority’ and that

French authorities apply EU law in a non-discriminatory fashion,” said a

two-page statement.

The case has strained relations between Paris and Brussels after an angry

confrontation between Nicolas Sarkozy, the French President, and senior

Commission officials at an EU summit on Sep 16.

Mrs Reding was forced to withdraw her comparison of the Roma policy with Vichy

France’s Second World War collaboration with Nazi round-ups of ethnic

minorities after President Nicolas Sarkozy demanded an apology for a “disgusting and shameful

attack on the honour of France”.

Eric Besson, the French immigration minister, proclaimed victory for France."

Brussels lawyers, at great expense, no doubt, have advised that though France is in technical breach of EU law, there is no Human Rights case to answer.  I could have saved them the time and (most of) the expense

Patrick

PS:  NormanH, I read, write and speak French, English and German and have at least "a modicum" of legal training, but it wouldn't take a multilingual international lawyer to find the flaws in the EU's "case".  I never said what Sarkozy did was nice, just that he, and France, broke no laws and infringed no-one's human rights.  Their human dignity, maybe...

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="pachapapa"]

I am pleased to see that the Dwarf will be changing french law to accord with the European Directive whose complete incorporation into french had been "overlooked".[:D]

http://www.20minutes.fr/article/609289/monde-roms-france-disposee-modifier-droit-national-satisfaire-ue

[/quote]

I assume that you are using the word "Dwarf" as a term of abuse - I thought this type of discrimination was both legally and morally "beyond the pale.