If you have changed your name by deed-poll .....

suein56

My husband has always used the surname of his step-father, who joined the family when my husband (Roger) was 5. As Roger was never adopted by his step-father at the age of 21 he changed his surname by deed-poll to that of his step-father. (Not legally necessary, but helpful.)
Now comes the question - what kind of paperwork etc will Roger need to prove who he is in France? I seem to remember that someone said a while back that the only legal name-change allowed in France was that witnessed by the President(?).
I am imagining all kind of horrors when we try to rent/buy when we get to France.
Has anyone any useful information or leads that I could look into before we go?

Sue

indeed name change by deed poll is not recognised in france and all paper work will resort back to the original birth / marriage certifcates. Name change requires an act of parliment in france , signed by the president himself.

regs

Richard

• 1 year later...
I've done exactly this and am planning to retire to France next year. I'm divorced and have reverted to my maiden name, with a properly signed deed that's been accepted without any question by tax, NI, etc, authorities here. Will I have to use my married name, or could I legally ignore the fact that I've been married and simply use the name on my birth certificate? I have no children to consider.

Taking your husband's name on marriage is only a tradition, not any sort of legal requirement. You didn't need to change it back by deed poll in the UK, whether after being widowed, divorced or just wanting a change. It's YOUR name and can't be taken away.

I agree with you, but try telling the Inland Revenue that, they (and my pension fund) insisted on a piece of paper for their records :-) I didn't pay a lawyer to do it, it only needs a couple of lines saying that from such and such a date I [old name] intend to be known as [preferred name], sign it in both names and date it. [:)] Most solicitors' firms will photocopy the original and certify the copies for free, usually the office junior does it. I know this from experience - I'm a former paralegal/secretary.

Hi

My husband changed his surname to mine when we were married in England, 7 years later we moved to France, and have so far bought 3 houses, opened two bank accounts and coped OK with all the other French admin. We have a change of name deed from our English solicitor and all other relevant documents ie marriage certificates which we have numerous copies of to be handed to the authorities as and when needed. We get a lot of raised eyebrows and odd comments but we just explain that it is perfectly acceptable in the UK and this seems to be accepted, so far! So it is possible!

Hi

Thanks for that! I'll keep my fingers crossed, then, when the move eventually happens, hopefully that will be in the second half of next year. Until then, more research, and trying to improve on my school French [:(]

In France, women tend to be recognized by their maiden names anyway, married or not.  ALL my documents are in both, and some places refer to me by one, others the other.  It should be less of a problem here than you had in the UK from what you wrote.

PG

I changed my first name and therefore the name on my passport and marriage certificate is not that on my birth certificate.  I had never actually done so by deed poll in UK (you don't need to) but knowing how bureaucratic France is thought I had better do deed poll document before coming here.  The only people who have had problem with this are CPAM so now I have a Carte Vitale in a different name to my Carte de Séjour and passport.  In practice it hasn't caused me any problems other than a few raised eyebrows and comments on the fact it wouldn't be allowed in France.

Maggi

[quote user="diotima"]I agree with you, but try telling the Inland Revenue that, they (and my pension fund) insisted on a piece of paper for their records :-) I didn't pay a lawyer to do it, it only needs a couple of lines saying that from such and such a date I [old name] intend to be known as [preferred name], sign it in both names and date it. [:)] Most solicitors' firms will photocopy the original and certify the copies for free, usually the office junior does it. I know this from experience - I'm a former paralegal/secretary.

[/quote]

Here in France, when you get divorced you must revert to your maiden name, (article 264 of the code civil) unless you have the express permission of your husband to continue to use his name.  You never legally change your name - this dates from the revolution.

no, this changed recently, I think it was at the beginning of last year, and now it can either be the mother's name, or the father's name, or both, in either order.  That's for babies.  If the parents want to take advantage of this for an older child, they can do so, up to the age of thirteen, after which the child has to give his or her consent.  It provoked a lot of debate at the time, but it hasn't been called into question as far as I know.

[quote user="Russethouse"] I think it may have been Iceni, (Di, not John) who had a problem with using there 'usual' name.[/quote]

Well remembered Gay.

At the age of 3 Di's surname was changed at High Court level and thenceforward in UK used her mother's maiden name not her father's. The "original" name as per her birth cert has been used by the Chamber of Commerce  when registering her business and CPAM when joining the health service but as she is my chattel, my surname appears on our joint bank account.

Not sure whether the above helps or hinders.

John

not