Pompiers at Christmas

Oboulez

This is our first christmas in France & it has been suggested (by somebody in the UK) that the Pompiers come around at christmas delivering calendars, and in return householders give them donations. Has anybody else heard of this, and if so, what is the 'going rate' for donations. Likewise, is it customary to give the postie something. Ours is very good.

Thanks

The postman and I have a good moan about the government when he comes round with the calendar!  He is a lovely man and couldn't be more helpful when it comes to bringing in heavy parcels etc - well worth his annual tip - much more so than the grumpy old wotsit in the UK who barely said thank you for his Christmas box.  We also get the bin men and the local sports' club round here with their calendars.  But only the one from La Poste is any good as it has all kinds of useful info', maps etc in it.

I agree, every year I buy the La Poste calender as it has some very good maps in it, the ones of regional towns change each year so you can build up a collection, remember you cannot buy something like a Phillips or A-Z streetmap of towns and villages over here, finally there is a choice of cover designs, far too many to choose from in fact.

When I spoke with la factrice this year, another new one I was once again struck by so happy they all are including the men, do they perhaps have the best job in the world? and that being a stunner seems to be a pre-requisite for the job, not including the men!

I was comparing them to the Viz cartoon character "Postman plod, he's a miserazble old sod" so Cooperlolas comment made me laugh.

I always donate to the Sapeur Pompiers as they have had to cart me away on two occasions but I refuse the calender, by comparison it is pants.

[quote user="JohnFB"]Oh yes you can'ish. I have a copy of Blay Foldex Atlas de  Region for the Midi-Pyren' it has many town maps as good as A-Z. Pricey tho. But i like maps more than GPS.More tactile.
JFB
[/quote]

Me, too, I love maps.  They are indeed wonderful things to look at and you get so much information from them!  I think those satnav thingies very sterile and I don't like being told what to do!  Therefore, unless I buy a car with it already installed, I can't see myself ever wanting one.

BTW, I think the UK OS maps the best in the world.....MUCH better than the French IGN ones.

Pompiers and Postie, was 20€ each for their calenders, I would probably be giving 25€ each now at least.

I like everyone else foreign to France was never sure about what to give and just followed what friends gave, and some friends are not well off.

[quote user="idun"]Pompiers and Postie, was 20€ each for their calenders, I would probably be giving 25€ each now at least. I like everyone else foreign to France was never sure about what to give and just followed what friends gave, and some friends are not well off.[/quote]

I used to give more but due to circumstances can now only give what I am able, I was embarrassed to ask if €5 would suffice this year but she said bien sur (bien sur she would!), it is, and will be my sole Christmas expenditure this year unless I see the pompiers.

I will make up for it when better times arrive but even if I am rolling in it wont get sucked in to the whole Noel over the top conspicuos consumption thing which I find is much much worse in my area here in France than it ever was in the UK.

The thing about the pompiers is that most of them are volunteers, and have other jobs. So have to take time off when called to an emergency. And a lot of the call-outs are free (as compared with SAMU who charge, ) so where does their funding come from?

I think contributions go to new equipment etc plus a fund for families if one dies on duty.

[quote user="Patf"]The thing about the pompiers is that most of them are volunteers, and have other jobs. So have to take time off when called to an emergency. And a lot of the call-outs are free (as compared with SAMU who charge, ) so where does their funding come from?
I think contributions go to new equipment etc plus a fund for families if one dies on duty.
[/quote]

They might be volunteers but they're not unpaid, they get a pension as well. Much like the part-time firefighters in GB. AFAIK the funding comes from the Conseil Départementale. But I think you're partly right about where the money goes, I believe the equipment is bought by the authority.

FairyNuff