Logs for fire - have we been ripped off?...

janetilett

Hi there

We have een buying logs for our open fire from our french neighbour, but I m beginning to think they are expensive... We pay 60 euros for one meter cubed... Is this the normal price for logs in France? It seems so expensive compared to the price in UK... (however, most things have increased in price in France compared to the UK).

Janet

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends without :

Type of wood

How well seasoned

Stacked or Dumped

Length cut to

Local area / How close to woods

Total Quantity

Google.fr 'Bois de Chauffage' and check local prices / quotes

http://www.lemarchedubois.com/le-prix-du-bois-de-chauffage/id-menu-31.html

Quotes between €40 and € 60. Price has been going up in line with oil

I think it depends where you are. When we were in the Limousin we got oak or hornbeam, cut to 50cm lengths, for about 40 euros a stere, godo wood. But there's a lot of trees there, and not as many here. So 60euros is normal here for oak, although you can get cheaper wood if you purchase plum (throws out a fierce heat but spits!). So the price the OP is paying is 'in the ballpark' but it is always worth asking around, and trying to find out what and where your neighbours purchase from.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Live in back of beyond, no passing traffic at all so not an option, have even tried advertising it in the commune newsletter and still no takers.  This time round I'm not pressing the issue, now have identified a lovely long garden sculpture to make with the wood instead.[/quote]

Shame your so far away from me else I would have taken the lot.

[quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="pachapapa"]So! The price in england is.[/quote]

A lot more expensive I suspect, England is not exactly overrun with forests is it?

[/quote]

But Janet said,"It seems so expensive compared to the price in UK... (however, most things have increased in price in France compared to the UK)."[6]

But 1.5 tons delivered last week in rural worcestershire; I'll check price tomorrow.

Problem...How much does a stère weigh?

[quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="pachapapa"]So! The price in england is.[/quote]

A lot more expensive I suspect, England is not exactly overrun with forests is it?

[/quote]

But Janet said,"It seems so expensive compared to the price in UK... (however, most things have increased in price in France compared to the UK)."[6]

But 1.5 tons delivered last week in rural worcestershire; I'll check price tomorrow.

Problem...How much does a stère weigh?

We pay 40 euros for a 1 metre cube of oak mixed with birch, or 15 euros from the barrel maker for a metre cubed bag of oddments of oak or 20 euros for a stere of oak, 1 metre lengths - leftovers from the barrel making. We are in the Haute Vienne.

[quote user="krusty"]How many days of burning do you get from your 1 metre cube ?[/quote]

Surely that is determined by how long and hard you have your fire.  And (yes, I know), the type of wood - but having one on all day to only on in the evening will make a huge difference.

Hi Krusty, how you doing? Glad to see you are still with us. Hope you had a good Christmas - which part of Cyprus are you in -we were in Paphos during June.

Chris puts the fire on around 9.00am - it's the only heating we have in the house and the stere will last us around a month, with the fire kept going all day. Not bad value!

I see the jokers are abroad tonight.

[quote user="pachapapa"]Problem...How much does a stère weigh?
[/quote]

and

[quote user="krusty"]How many days of burning do you get from your 1 metre cube ?[/quote]

Has April 1st come early, did I miss Christmas and the three months odd thereafter. Come on guys somebody might start taking your comments seriously.