Gaz de schiste

I have created a website in English giving lots of information about the issues surrounding Shale Gas exploration in France, including links to the petition and many informative and interesting articles.

This is a serious issue that could dramatically change the environment in many areas of France and in my opinion, it is in danger of being rushed into without fully understanding the long term implications.

The government of Quebec have just taken note of their environmental impact report into Shale Gas (which took 6 months to complete) and decided to call a halt to any further exploration until a more detailed report can be produced. There are too many unanswered questions. I hope that the French government will follow their lead and make sure that this is the right thing to do before allowing drilling to commence.

Here in Midi Pyrenees the local government officials seem to all be against it, but I think a lot of protest is going to be needed to stop it happening.

Do please get informed on this topic and make up your own minds.

[quote user="busybee"]

Do please get informed on this topic and make up your own minds.

[/quote]

That's absolutely my intention. I made the original post as I only heard about what was being proposed this week and was interested to know more and see what the local reaction is.

As far as NIMBYs go....  I generally find that it better not to be over critical unless one is happy to have the perceived blight sitting in ones own back garden.

Busybee

Thank you for the web site in English.  I gave up with the French site - it was too difficult to read with the black etc. 

I hadn't heard anything about this, so this is all very useful.  Forewarned is forearmed and though I cannot see if our area is affected or not from the maps, no doubt if we are, we will see something about it soon if it is .....

There is an English language web site which attempts to explain what is going on and what we can do to stop it. The news section is local to the Midi Pyrenees permit area but the information applies to Gaz de Schiste extraction wherever it rears its (currently) ugly head.

www.schistehappens.com

Come on in, the water's lovely (for the time being) .

[quote user="RPJ"]explain what is going on and what we can do to stop it.

[/quote]This is the rub - ie having the two things in the same breath.  What would be nice (but which isn't going to happen because it so rarely does with such emotive subjects) would be a balanced website with the pros and cons for us to look at so we can make up our own minds instead of having them made up for us.  I don't know enough about this to comment yet, but where do future generations think their power and energy is coming from - the Libyan dessert?