Donating items to Japan after Earthquake/Tsunami?

mogs

I feel so sad for these people and feel I should be doing something to help. Rather than a money donation I would like to contribute with clothing,nappies etc. in other words parceling up a box of "useful" items.

Does anyone know if there is a place like the post office/bank where you can drop items off for Japan?

Many thanks

That's a really kind thought and one that many of us share, I'm sure.

I worked for the British Red Cross during the 2004 tsunami. I remember many people phoning up asking how they could send goods but we always explained that we only took money, not goods. This was for two reasons - first, the transport costs and challenges of getting the right things to the right places made it a much less cost-effective way to give, and secondly because giving money means that it be used to buy the goods in the local economy, which helps the country and local businesses recover.

When you give money to a specific disaster the money goes to help that disaster, not their general running costs.

Sorry this doesn't answer your original question - hope you don't mind.

Helen

That's a lovely thought, Mogs, but it may be impractible. It would appear that much food and useful items such as blankets etc are held up due to road conditions etc. So I feel that posted items might well suffer the same fate. It might be better to donate via Save The Children, Shelterbox etc on this occasion, as they are set up ready to help out.

I support the Red Cross, for obvious reasons given my previous post! Because it works through local volunteers working for their national society in each country (Red Cross or Red Crescent), they have all the local experience and knowledge to know how best to help.

You can give on line via either the British Red Cross or the Croix Rouge Francaise.

[quote user="Helen"]You can give on line via either the British Red Cross or the Croix Rouge Francaise.[/quote]

If you are a resident in France and give via the Croix Rouge, you will get a receipt for a deduction of 75% of you donation for your income tax declaration.

https://www.croix-rouge.fr/Je-donne/

To Echo what has been said... I have a friend living in an unaffected area of Japan and she says that the Red Cross seem to be on every street corner asking for money... and they seem to be heavily involved in helping in the affected areas... she says if folks want to help to use them.

x

Our son who lives in Japan is assisting Foreign Volunteers Japan to arrange a music concert

"Foreign Volunteers Japan (FVJ) was formed in the wake of the massive

earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan in March. Within days, the

organisation gathered together over 700 foreign resident volunteers,

combining all their individual talents, experience and skills to help

those suffering in the north. Shipments of donated food, water, clothes

and other supplies are being shipped via trucks to the worst hit areas

rapidly. "

YouTube link

Those who have contributed already to ShelterBox will be pleased to know that he has seen the boxes arriving and being put to good use.