New tax on maison secondaires ?

Please explain further, Mel.

Why is it "money down the drain" just because they might impose an extra tax of a few hundred euros per annum?

Are you no longer going to enjoy your maison secondaire that you have "poured thousands of pounds" into and over such a long period of time?

I Know its annoying. But ask yourself if this proposed tax was in place when you first purchased you home would you still have gone ahead.

When we purchased our place we realised that there would be some form of property taxes to pay but that was not one of our key buying decisions although for the more clued up this may well be different.

Its a nasty mean little tax that will only bring in E170 million that has been targeted on "Holidaymakers " who have decided to choose France to spend all their holiday time in .

The message it sends is just how desperate a financial situation France must be in to have to scratch about and come up with a " find a Foreign visitor " tax like this one .

I think you should go and read the other thread Mell then you will have an (possible) understanding of how the tax would work if it is ever implemented. There is a big difference between thinking about a tax and actually implementing it. As some have pointed out it may well be against European Law anyway should he try and get this in to law.

There is a lot of talk about this at the moment amongst those that have second homes in France but nobody knows exactly whats going in Sarko's mind on how this would work (most people don't know whats going on in his mind full stop [;-)]). Some have suggested it might be implemented on a pro rata basis in which case it will entice you to live more of your dream, visiting more often, because the more time you spend in it the less you will pay. But then who really knows, it's only just talk at the moment, the 'bill' has not even been drafted it seems. it's a bit too early to stamp your feet and throw you teddy out the pram.[;-)]

[quote user="Frederick"][quote user="Owens88"]Well it is better than the Welsh solution. I seem to recall they used to have housewarmings for the second-homers.[/quote] Sorry ...Cant see the connection with a government imposed tax here ?[/quote]

2nd homes were frequently burnt down......

[quote user="fisherman"]I Know its annoying. But ask yourself if this proposed tax was in place when you first purchased you home would you still have gone ahead.

When we purchased our place we realised that there would be some form of property taxes to pay but that was not one of our key buying decisions although for the more clued up this may well be different.[/quote]

Fair point fisherman...

[quote user="Russethouse"]

[quote user="Frederick"][quote user="Owens88"]Well it is better than the Welsh solution. I seem to recall they used to have housewarmings for the second-homers.[/quote] Sorry ...Cant see the connection with a government imposed tax here ?[/quote]

2nd homes were frequently burnt down......

[/quote]Giving rise to the poor-taste joke "Come home to a real fire. Buy a house in Wales!"

[quote user="Frederick"]

Yes.. I understood  ...Is anybody suggestiong Sarko will send the boys round to torch mine if  I  dont pay his petty tax ?

[/quote]

No saisie-vente by a Huissier would be sufficient.

However quoting a french neighbour, insurance companies used to supply a metal plaque to place above the front door. The purpose being to inform that the owner had fire insurance and accordingly setting fire to the house would be counter-productive as no effective loss would affect the owner.

Of course the saisie-vente would be followed by a charge on the property to encourage you to settle.

[quote user="pachapapa"][quote user="Frederick"]

Yes.. I understood  ...Is anybody suggestiong Sarko will send the boys round to torch mine if  I  dont pay his petty tax ?

[/quote]

No saisie-vente by a Huissier would be sufficient.

However quoting a french neighbour, insurance companies used to supply a metal plaque to place above the front door. The purpose being to inform that the owner had fire insurance and accordingly setting fire to the house would be counter-productive as no effective loss would affect the owner.

Of course the saisie-vente would be followed by a charge on the property to encourage you to settle.

[/quote]

I believe Marcus Crassus  started that  insurance scheme in ancient Rome .... He still sent the boys round for an increase in premuim while your house burned and would not put it out until you paid up.    ... Nothing much has changed  has it ..... still get shafted by the rich and powerful  !  

[quote user="Quillan"]But then who really knows, it's only just talk at the moment, the 'bill' has not even been drafted it seems. it's a bit too early to stamp your feet and throw you teddy out the pram.[/quote]

It has been drafted, it was passed in Cabinet on May 11. No reason why it shouldn't get through in June/July. Then maybe the EC will say it's discriminatory. If so it will be twiddled and enacted. Raising €180m from a constituency that can't vote back? Of course they will. My view is that if I'm to be charged an extra amount of about my current Taxe Fonciere then I'll make sure that I reduce my input to the french economy by that plus 10%.

If I cannot afford something I don't buy it. If I sign up for something and then things get tight then I trim my sails accordingly.

However, what on earth are these posts about that say, 'I'll show 'em, I'll spend less in France if they do this'?

If someone cannot afford to spend what they ususally spend in France, fair enough, but if anyone does this deliberately, then why?

Why did you buy in France in the first place. Many of you, from what I've seen bought in France in areas that I was always led to believe were areas that were being depopulated though lack of work opportunities and are generally poorer areas of France. Property prices in the past being a good barometer of this, as the prices I've seen have been incredibly low in comparison to where I lived.

Since the euro I think that prices in France for everyday goods have risen a lot and then with exchange rates, France must once again seem very expensive (it was when I got there). If you have the money though, surely people would spend as normal, keep the local economy boosted and their chosen region buoyant.

Remember that the french themselves are being squeezed too, they need the trade and custom.

Remember that the french themselves are being squeezed too, they need the  trade and custom.

Isn't that the rub ? Some houses in less populated areas sit empty for years - how likely is it they will be bought by someone willing and able to renovate, perhaps to use as a holiday home and let out at other times, thus  bringing some trade to the area, now ? Surely the chances are less ?

Yes, it is the rub. So, if people have le pognon, why not spend it where they have their holidays. Help their chosen region out. What are the young expected to do if there is no work? They move on to somewhere where there is work.

And if these regions had been vibrant and had lots of work, well, the french do buy and do do places up. And the prices would not be as low as they were, inflated later, I suspect, by foreign buyers.  In the region I used to live in we had people from all over France, because there was work. We once had the dubious pleasure of staying in Ernee in the Mayenne as part of our holiday, now that was weird, mid summer and it was all the Papys and Mamies out with the grandkids and no working age adults to be seen on the streets. We took it that the grandkids had been packed off to the grandparents for at least part of the grandes vacances.