Sussex

idun

Please tell me about Sussex.

I have a good friend who has recently moved there and I am thinking of visiting. Not french ofcourse, but it would seem that a few posters have Sussex connections.

In fact when I go, if it is an easy place to get around, maybe a meet up somewhere. I think that I'll be near Chichester and I have friends in Portsmouth too, but I'm not even sure if that is in Sussex without looking it up.

Pebbly beaches from childhood visits to the seaside there (Bognor Regis which apparently has the most sunshine per year) but lovely countryside. Flying from Brest to Luton last time you come up past the IOW and can see Chichester harbour the other side of Pompey from the plane. West Wittering is for OAP retirees which is where our very first accountant retired to and to where we went for a visit to see him, nothing to do there!

I didn't think that I had ever been to Sussex and I know I haven't now. When I have taken the ferry to Portsmouth I have either headed directly north to Oxford or west as we had friends in Wales.

Sounds fine, I'll look forward to seeing it.

I lived near Chichester for a few years, nice place; parking can be difficult, not too much crime.

Portsmouth, I used to know well, good night out and good for shopping.

Watch out for the matelots and learn some jack-speak.

Have fun.

Not really!

Once took a wrong turn on way to Dover. Realised I was heading for a place called Brighton. So turned left. I was lucky finally to get out of a blackhole called Tunbridge Wells.

Never Again!!

I now travel by RyanAir to Stansted or East Midlands.

There are regular trains between Portsmouth and Chichester - you can check times on www.thetrainline.com

But for venturing further I would imagine you would need a car

There is some info on bus services here -

http://www.carlberry.co.uk/rfnshowl.asp?L1=CHI020

but depending on where you want to go, the services vary enormously (e.g. from every half hour to once a week!)

I have checked there are plenty of buses to where I want to be sur place. And the trains are good for me even to get to Portsmouth, so everything is looking hunky dory. Reasonable return train fares too. All is  good.

Driving is convenient, as long as I don't get lost, but when you don't know somewhere, then public transport is a great way of 'seeing' a new place, especially from a bus which gives better vistas.

I knew so little of that part of the country that I never realised that there was an East Sussex and West Sussex. I find myself as bad in this regard as friends from the south of England who know of nothing north of Watford Gap, am feeling slightly ashamed really.Still my trip will remedy that[:)]

If you do venture into the countryside you will find it is very beautiful.

W. Sussex: Try a visit to The Weald and Downland open air museum at Singleton, Arundel also a good place to go.

E. Sussex: Charleston Farmhouse, once the home of writer Virginia Wolf and her clan, is supposed to be a great place to visit though I have still not managed to see it.

P.S. are you old enough to own a senior bus pass?

You beat me to it Peter (not the god's own country bit because everybody knows that's Lancashire) but the Midhurst and Goodwood bits.  Lovely countryside if a bit soft compared to what you are used to, Idun.  Also Arundel is pleasant and do-able by train.  Used to be our days out when my ma' and I lived in Shoreham (dump!) and were car-less also. One thing which will shock you though is the sheer number of people about in the countryside after the North of England.  Jolly pleaseant  for a break.

Sussex is beautfiul,Sussex Downs run from Winchester to Eastbourne,

Seaside Towns - ChichesterBognor Regis,Worthing,Brighton,Eastbourne,Hastings.

Loads of sailing around Hayling Island.

Arundel has a castle,further east, Pevensey Castle,Bodium. Battle Abbey.

Beautiful, but busy

You just did [:(]

Where I was born and brought up , not that anyone asked me if  I had a preference.

I actually enjoy it there more than say 20 years ago as now it has become truly multi-cultural, I like listening to all the conversations in the many and varied languages to see if there are any that I recognise.

Probably not on the top of the list for places to visit unless you cannot resist the attraction of Asda, TKmax and the pound shop, which actually seems quite cr@p these days.

The more I hear the more I am looking forward to my little trip and until a friend moved there, I had never given a thought to visiting.

Thankyou all.

As I said, if there is a sensible easily got to place for everyone to meet up, then I would be up for that. Will post the dates I am there when I get around to booking my ticket. LOL everyone will be in France in July? Still I have friends there and that was just an idea.