citizen of the EU or not, present in France for less than 3 years,

may be expelled from the territory in case of threats to public order

(which includes the offences of theft, aggressive begging and illegal

occupation of land); an EU citizen could be expelled from the

territory in case of abuse of the right to short stay (less than 3

months).

Source

[quote user="Clair"]

Finally, a foreign national, whether citizen of the EU or not, present in France for less than 3 years, may be expelled from the territory in case of threats to public order (which includes the offence of illegal occupation of land); an EU citizen could be expelled from the territory in case of abuse of the right to short stay (less than 3 months).

[/quote]No prizes for guessing what that's about.

Foreign nationals wanting to live in France will be subject to further condition in order to respect the "contract of welcome and integration". In case of non compliance with the terms of this contract, the prefect may refuse the renewal of residence permit. [...]

Forgive my ignorance-does foreign national mean non EU resident? I thought EU residents didn't need a residence permit so how can they refuse renewal?

This is in the same vein (racist)  as the pressure to stop Binationality coming from the FN and the right of the UMP.

By 'foreigners' they mean Maghrebins, but in the case of Binationality I can't see Carla Bruni or Eva Joly being very happy...

Occasionally I may inadvertently make a comment which may upset one or two peoples sensibilities but I take my hat off to you Pommier you have managed to insult an estimated 85 million practicing Christians around the world. I can’t wait to hear your theories on the other world religions.

Sort of a relief to me when someone else makes such a comment. Personally, I have no faith in religions and little in their believers.

And I'm not sure if I believe in Richard Dawkins either! but he does make a lot of sense to me, never the less.

I think the majority of Christians, Muslims, Hindu etc etc etc are decent caring folk who find that their religion helps them through life's difficult decisions and guides them well. The trouble is the extremists and the politically motivated folk who use/distort religion to order to manipulate the masses.

[quote user="JohnM"]I think the majority of Christians, Muslims, Hindu etc etc etc are decent caring folk who find that their religion helps them through life's difficult decisions and guides them well. The trouble is the extremists and the politically motivated folk who use/distort religion to order to manipulate the masses.[/quote]In my experience the vast majority of people are decent caring folk regardless of their religion or lack of  it. I believe the ethics put forward by Jesus are very sensible and can be summed up  by saying "Do as you would be done by" which would lead to a very pleasant and fair society if everyone followed that. My problem is that I cannot believe in a supernatural being with the paucity of evidence to support that proposition. However if other do find the evidence convincing then that's fine by me

I agree, I reckon most people are decent and caring without any labels.

I once discussed this with a psychiatrist that I know and he said that for many it was a necessity and often a crutch to help people in their lives and sometimes to actually live. If anyone would be a candidate for a crutch, it would probably be me at the moment, I have a big pile of bouse in my life at the moment, which is getting bigger by the minute. But no, I'll do what I can and get on with 'life'.

[quote user="idun"]

I agree, I reckon most people are decent and caring without any labels.

I once discussed this with a psychiatrist that I know and he said that for many it was a necessity and often a crutch to help people in their lives and sometimes to actually live. If anyone would be a candidate for a crutch, it would probably be me at the moment, I have a big pile of bouse in my life at the moment, which is getting bigger by the minute. But no, I'll do what I can and get on with 'life'.

[/quote]

Idun - I have to say thank you for increasing my French vocabulary [:)]

Every time I see a word in one of your posts that I don't recognise, I look it up - bouse will be really useful for me (living in rural Normandy)[:D]

BTW good luck dealing with your bouse - I hope it goes away soon