Sea level in France

mint

[quote user="Edward Trunk"]I think the datum point for sea level in France is at Port-Vendres, near the Spanish border.[/quote]

Mareographic observations are available from Port Vendres et al.

Quoted in study by Pascual at the Universidad de Valencia 1989.

http://www.uv.es/cuadernosgeo/CG46_107_126.pdf

PSMSL Stations.

230 FRANCE (MEDITERRANEAN)

Code Station Name Lat Lon AC FC GLO METRIC RLR

230001 BANYULS 42 29 N 03 07 E 18 24 8 1967-1974

230006 PORT VENDRES 42 31 N 03 06 E 19 24 6 1978-1983

230021 SETE 43 24 N 03 42 E 19 24 4 1960-1979 80.0

230031 PORT DE BOUC 43 24 N 04 59 E 19 24 10 1960-1983 58.3

230041 MARTIGUES 43 24 N 05 03 E 19 24 10 1960-1983 58.3

230051 MARSEILLE 43 18 N 05 21 E 19 C 205 100 1885-1992 7.4 100 1885-1992 7.4

230061 TOULON 43 07 N 05 55 E 18 24 9 1961-1973 30.8 9 1961-1973 30.8

230081 NICE 43 42 N 07 16 E 19 24 15 1978-1992 15 1978-1992

http://cedadocs.badc.rl.ac.uk/99/4/psmsldat.pdf

[quote user="idun"]

Thanks for posing such an interesting question Sweet17, is there any reason for it?

[/quote]

Well, yes, id, as I said, I saw the benchmark on the wall of our local church and OH said I wonder how they determine the sea level in France.  And there we go...............I just can't let stuff like that pass as I always need to find out![:D]

[quote user="idun"]

LOL, well I would have been very shocked to see one on our church in the Alpes. Still in the mountains behind us we found sea fossils, must have really high tides at one time[Www][;-)]

[/quote]

Oh, Idun. You do disappoint me.

Surely you know that when He created the world in the evening of 23 October 4004 BCE, God decided to to plant these as a joke? Because He knew that 6,000 years later there would be people who would misinterpret these as evidence that the planet was very much older (billions of years). They would propose ludicrous theories that the Earth was spherical and that continents float on tectonic plates and when they bumped into each other fold mountains, like the Alps, would form.

And that His followers could look at these deluded fools with contempt in the sure knowledge that anyone not accepting the revealed word of God would be destroyed in the Rapture that is imminent ...

Fossils are God's joke. It must be true because that is what these people who knocked on my door told me ...

[quote user="idun"]

LOL, well I would have been very shocked to see one on our church in the Alpes. Still in the mountains behind us we found sea fossils, must have really high tides at one time[Www][;-)]

[/quote]Not high tides but Noah's Flood. Simples[:D]

Very interesting. Suffice to say that although my village sits on top of a hill and is in itself about 100 miles (give or take) from the sea, my house sits slightly lower, but that is counter balanced by having a number of very tall oak trees in the garden, so I feel sure that if either Marseille or Brest floods I shouldn't get my feet wet. However, as a consequence, if the river in Laval rises I shall have to do a quick shimmy up one of those trees just to be on the safe side.

Question is, if that should happen which item would I take with me as I struggle to get to the top of the tree? At the moment I favour the blow up mattress except that it would be much easier to climb if the mattress were deflated. But then I doubt whether I have enough puff to blow it up whilst clinging to a branch. Could take the foot operated pump I suppose, but would there be room up the said tree to get my leg pumping away whilst chanting "Tsunami!" in the manner of a football crowd taunting the opposition with a "oo are ya...oo are ya"

[quote user="Weedon"]

Very interesting. Suffice to say that although my village sits on top of a hill and is in itself about 100 miles (give or take) from the sea, my house sits slightly lower, but that is counter balanced by having a number of very tall oak trees in the garden, so I feel sure that if either Marseille or Brest floods I shouldn't get my feet wet. However, as a consequence, if the river in Laval rises I shall have to do a quick shimmy up one of those trees just to be on the safe side.

Question is, if that should happen which item would I take with me as I struggle to get to the top of the tree? At the moment I favour the blow up mattress except that it would be much easier to climb if the mattress were deflated. But then I doubt whether I have enough puff to blow it up whilst clinging to a branch. Could take the foot operated pump I suppose, but would there be room up the said tree to get my leg pumping away whilst chanting "Tsunami!" in the manner of a football crowd taunting the opposition with a "oo are ya...oo are ya"

[/quote]

Despite your house being on a hill, it may well be below sea level.

If your house does flood, I would think you are on a wing and a prayer. Take some strong pills and a bottle of what you fancy up that tree to give your voice more oomph whilst chanting Tsunami.[;-)]