Monaco wedding, .....

the wedding straight from bling?

No doubt you saw some snippets of it; with a bride who clearly did not really want to be there and all the rather obscene trappings of the nouveau riche, louche world of bling that France mistakes for Royalty. And what is wrong with Sarkozy's feet and where was Carla - putting her feet up and letting the bump grow?

On the other hand, I bumped into and chatted to a real member of the aristos yesterday who dressed like the gardener, in fact who was gardening, who muttered deep threats against the birds which were killing her trees and who took, a few euros off me to visit her ruined abbey of which she was rightly proud, but still concerned about as it does need work. (I feel a blog coming on!)

Not a wedding person, but with all those trappings, and what with his Mam having been an actress couldn't he have tried to look a little more happy. Sort of don't blame her for looking so impassive, maybe a look she will have to use quite often, sorry, so cynical.

Ca sent le divorce déjà!

I imagine she will produce an heir by AI (I cant imagine she would actually let him touch her), then leave with a big settlement.

And yes the wedding was the height of vulgarity, like  a tacky production of Offenbach[:)]

I disagree with everybody on here.  I thought the wedding was very interesting to watch, the coverage on Fr 2 was excellent, the bride was very beautiful, the groom whilst not actually prince-like didn't exactly look like a frog and, for Norman, surely Rene Fleming was in her usual exquisite form though I dislike that Andreas (can't spell his name).

When the bride shed tears at the church where she left her bouquet, I thought it did her credit.  I'd rather someone took their wedding ceremony seriously than grinning and gurning and gossiping throughout.

Certainly, I enjoyed it more than that other royal wedding affair which I refused to watch.

It was a plus for me to armchair travel around Monaco.[:D]

I cannot believe that in this day and age the public are daft enough to persist in allowing self elected aristos to waltz around claiming god given powers.

The quicker they are assigned to history the better.

Did anyone notice last week in UK on the day the teachers were on strike (claiming the headlines), Parliament whipped through a bill altering the way the Queen gets money?

To most of us we are in a recession, but I bet it results in a whacking pay rise for Royalty PLC UK.

Ah non, non, non!

I was anti royalist until I moved to France and saw how a republic worked. I realised that I didn't want Maggie as President and I quite like a queen or king at the head of the country. I have yet to see a stunning example of a President anywhere and for most countries they are costly too.

I'm with you on this one Sweets.  I thought the bride looked lovely and took here vows with solemnity.  OK, so she didn't smile and it wasn't touchy feely but she is every bit the princess with a discreet family, not like the lot we got. And I preferred Charlene's dress, too[:D]

Certainly, I enjoyed it more than that other royal wedding affair which I refused to watch.

If you refused to watch it, how do you know ?

As it happens I think Kate and William will do the UK a whole lot of good, for one thing they have the 'feel good factor' and have the knack of looking genuinely happy to be with each other and doing what ever it is they are doing, plus the Duchess of Cambridge is not spending big bucks on clothes and then consigning them to history.....

I never took to Diana (an accident waiting to happen) but I really like Kate.

[quote user="Dog"]I cannot believe that in this day and age the public are daft enough to persist in allowing self elected aristos to waltz around claiming god given powers.

Did anyone notice last week in UK on the day the teachers were on strike (claiming the headlines), Parliament whipped through a bill altering the way the Queen gets money?

To most of us we are in a recession, but I bet it results in a whacking pay rise for Royalty PLC UK.[/quote]

I bet the Queen would also like to retire, I don't think there are many people working as hard as she does at 80 plus. I'd hate to be a royal, all that duty to have to perform, my life wouldn't be mine and I'd have very little choice. Look at what Edward VII had to do to get away from it all.

I think the royal family do more for the country than if they were not there and they bring a lot of money to the country via tourism etc.

If the UK lost the royal family, then the likes of David Beckham would be even more prominent and likely to be ambassador for England. While he's probably a nice chap and all that, would you want him representing you?

I'm not a staunch royalist, and nor can I really see much of a difference between a monarchy and a republic in my own life, but I think they serve a purpose and I'd rather they be here than not.

I nearly choked on my beer... 'Feel Good Factor' 'Genuinely Happy' I should coco they just won a lifetime free ride at the taxpayers expense.

These people are the worst example possible to flaunt around the world.

I can only hope they enjoy playing puppets for 50 years until they zimmer onto the throne.

Soldiers that signed up for a 'sporting life' are dying while the cosseted royal elite enjoy dressing up in uniforms.

There is no reason for Presidents either they too should get a real job.

I think politicians and royals should be taxed at 150% tax rate - who cares if they go bust it won't affect anyone but them.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"][quote user="Dog"]I cannot believe that in this day and age the public are daft enough to persist in allowing self elected aristos to waltz around claiming god given powers.

To most of us we are in a recession, but I bet it results in a whacking pay rise for Royalty PLC UK.[/quote]

I bet the Queen would also like to retire, I don't think there are many people working as hard as she does at 80 plus. I'd hate to be a royal, all that duty to have to perform, my life wouldn't be mine and I'd have very little choice. Look at what Edward VII had to do to get away from it all.

I think the royal family do more for the country than if they were not there and they bring a lot of money to the country via tourism etc.

If the UK lost the royal family, then the likes of David Beckham would be even more prominent and likely to be ambassador for England. While he's probably a nice chap and all that, would you want him representing you?

I'm not a staunch royalist, and nor can I really see much of a difference between a monarchy and a republic in my own life, but I think they serve a purpose and I'd rather they be here than not.

[/quote]

Crumbs you seem to have been seduced into the idea that Royals are somehow good for a country.

More people visit the ex-royal palaces in France than visit UK palaces, plus since when do you allow foreign tourists to decide on who rules in UK?

There is a vast difference between a Republic and a Monarchy - why do you think most countries in the world go for a Republic?

You get to own the land and public spaces unlike UK where Queenie owns everything.

When people in a Republic own the country they tend to look after it better.

My choice to live in France was based heavily on wanting to live in a Republic and not being a subject in a land run by a corrupt self appointed elite.

I do not subscribe to a Presidential system, but at least they are elected.

I would go for a weekly change of State Leader who could be chosen at random and do the wining and dining at their own expense.

Do you think you could get a worse Ambassador than Princelet Andrew?

Why let these people corrupt society?

I nearly choked on my beer... 'Feel Good Factor' 'Genuinely Happy' I should coco they just won a lifetime free ride at the taxpayers expense.

There is no way I'd consider being under 24 hour surveillance  a 'free lunch'

Prince Andrew is not my cup of tea, but then neither is DSK

I'm not actually sure the royals do rule the UK in reality. On paper, perhaps they do, but I've never really seen much evidence of it, at least not in the day to day stuff. That's down to civil servants.

More people visit France than the UK anyway mainly due to its central position, so those figures are probably why more go to the ex royal palaces there.

As for republic, well both France and the US are republics, and yet both are totally different. Nothing to do with whether a royal family exists or not. I felt living in France was more like living in the UK, but that was just my experience. I feel Australia (a monarchy) is more similar to the US than France is for example.

As for Pronce Andrew, not heard about him in years. But Prince Phillip is worth the tax alone with the stuff he comes out with. George Bush had nothing on him!

At the end of the day, whether a monarchy or a republic, the politicians screw you over, so what difference does it make?

But perhaps you are more politically minded than I am. I cannot make a difference to anything so I do not focus on it.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

If you refused to watch it, how do you know ?

As it happens I think Kate and William will do the UK a whole lot of good, for one thing they have the 'feel good factor' and have the knack of looking genuinely happy to be with each other and doing what ever it is they are doing, plus the Duchess of Cambridge is not spending big bucks on clothes and then consigning them to history.....

I never took to Diana (an accident waiting to happen) but I really like Kate.

[/quote]

So, I didn't watch but you could hardly get away with comments on newspapers, etc etc.  I mean, all the fawning, the sycophancy and wall-to-wall coverage.....gggrrrrr

Not spending big bucks on clothes?  Of course not, they get GIVEN them, don't they? 

Dog, well you are welcome to your opinion, but I would hate the royalty to go.

Shock of my life living in a republic that announces freedom, liberty and equality and then then I was exposed to things within the first months that felt that they were remnants from the 1940-1945 regime. PAPERS! PAPERS! PAPERS! photocopies, photos and as much proof as you could offer for every last thing. THEY still make all their population give their finger prints for no good reason!!!! how can that be?

Still things have got worse in the UK, but it will never sway me from my initial feelings about republics being there to feather ambitious politicians nests and not for the citizens, who are treat with at best lack of consideration, and possibly loathing.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]To back you up a bit sweet, if you saw one, but not the other, then by default if you enjoyed the one you watched then you would have had to have enjoyed it more ;)[/quote]

LOL, Rich, I like your joined-up thinking......

However, at the time of the OTHER wedding, OH kept saying look, here she comes, first sight of her dress and I said yeah, yeah.  Now that's American, if you like, when TWO positives can mean a negative![;-)]

Me, I'm just contrary......[6]

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"][quote user="Dog"]I cannot believe that in this day and age the public are daft enough to persist in allowing self elected aristos to waltz around claiming god given powers. The quicker they are assigned to history the better. Did anyone notice last week in UK on the day the teachers were on strike (claiming the headlines), Parliament whipped through a bill altering the way the Queen gets money? To most of us we are in a recession, but I bet it results in a whacking pay rise for Royalty PLC UK.[/quote]

I bet the Queen would also like to retire, [/quote] Her majesty believes it is her duty to carry on  as Sovereign. She has made this clear over the years. If she did retire it would destroy the magic that keeps the monarchy going.

I bet Penn & Teller could tell what tricks she uses...

Duty my nose, my granny did more for UK and she didn't have family that thought fascism was the answer.

I just cannot believe people buy into the 'Royal Myth' - well I can - as they pay over the odds to all the people that work for them...

.. and the other half believe in fairy stories and have such sad existances that they live their lives through these less than savoury characters.