Getting cross with pigeons

Recently I met somebody whose life is being ruined by pigeons in his eaves, and having been plagued myself by moles (garden type not skin) I know how these things can get to you.

I thought his best attempt, if a little tricky, was to balance on a windowsill whilst swiping at them with a broom. I reckon his neighbours think it is a quaint English version of housework rather than pest control though.

I suggested a catapult or a fancy water pistol with dye so he could see if the same pigeon comes back.

Anybody else have any suggestions for a very cross pigeon non-fancier?[:D]

Edited:- Cos I can't think why I thought there was a D in Pigeon.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]Use some sort of weapon of mass destruction. I believe France has them. But like Q suggests, aim it away from the house.[/quote]

Only a few compared to the US and they like to ask questions first, well with the exception of the odd Green Peace boat of course.

Has anyone a real solution?

I have an internal courtyard where they nest in a hole in a neighbour's wall  too high up for any ladder to reach; and cover floor and window-ledges with guano.

It is a health risk as well as making any attempt to place a table and chairs to eat outdoors quite useless

Invite someone that does birds of prey demonstrations.

It works in Wimbledon so should work in your corner of France. They employ a falconer during the summer just to get the blighters out of the way of a good game of tennis.

Or find on the internet someone who makes life size dummy falcons and plant a few of these about the place. Also apparently the colour red is not one that they like most of all.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningadvice/helen-yemm/7879348/Use-red-to-ward-pigeons-from-your-garden-Helen-Yemm.html

http://www.pigeoncontrolresourcecentre.org/html/reviews/rid-pigeons-terror-eyes-balloon.html

This last site has all kind to deter them...

Or invest in one of them ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pigeon_trap_melbourne.jpg

Pigeons here know me too well and avoid me as they know they'll end up with some lead shot and into a stewpot ...

I wonder who this is?

[Www]

Norman do you fancy trying an electric fence?  I am almost at the point where I will try anything.  I scare the bleeders away, they stay away for a week or two then they sneak back, turn the path to a slippery slimy mess then bu66er off.  Ideally I would have an air rifle[6].

I am a bit of a mad professor so maybe a trap might be a good idea?  [I] super glue and a hatchet!  We could be on to something here.

In the Languedoc (Béziers)

I don't think Ill be climbing ladders with my rollator [8-)], but it might be worth asking if any builder is intrepid enough to try.

It's the neighbours wall though and she is in a home, not really able to take any decisions.

Thanks for the tip. It will encourage me to take action