IMF urges France to take austerity measures

I thought that Christine Lagarde was responsible for the French economy until earlier this month, yet here she is signing a critical appraisal of it!

http://www.neurope.eu/articles/IMF-urges-France-to-take-austerity-measures/107811.php

One potentially significant recommendation given the source is

"France's best solution would be to reduce government spending in areas

of health care and pensions to meet its medium-term targets"

So, Christine Lagarde is now saying what she did not dare say when she was a minister in Sarko's government. I wonder how many other ministers feel the same way.

Not sure that austerity has ever really been tried in France. Certainly the senior ministries have neevr been really pressured to save money except at a vvery superficial level, and most never seem to have been investigated by Le Cour des Comptes which has so far been very successful at reining in expenses in the presidential palace household.

[quote user="Théière"]

Well the Sarkozy's have cut back their new cooker from £100,000 to just a budget model at £66,000.

[/quote]

Yes, but it does come with a free box to stand on allowing access to the furthermost hot plates by the little man![:)]

[quote user="The Riff-Raff Element"]I doubt Sarko's grannie would know how to spit. Très bcbg, I understand.
[/quote]

Just cannot imagine her having a belle gueule to be honest.[blink] but I may be wrong, I so often am.