Cold evenings - Hot nights - Inverters / air con etc

Having recently seen an installation of one of these, I was pleasantly surprised how cool the room was (no shutters) and better yet how silent the unit was so that perhaps now they are perfected?

Has anyone experience of an Inverter air-con/heater installation noise, running cost etc? . . .

Usual disclaimer, No connection etc . . .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110728129810&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Ours is 3 Kw we run it for perhaps four hours in the evening for a couple of months a years. It is installed in an upstarirs hallway and chills three bedrooms room enough to make sleeping pleasant during heatwaves.

Cost depends on roof insulation and how cold you want the rooms. I never liked the US model were you needed a sweater when you worked in their offices despite high temperatures outside

I have one here in France, it hasnt been used yet this year although a few days ago I was tempted to use it for heating!!!!!

I am completely sold on them, its not my main source of heating, I use night storage heaters but the clime can be switched on at any time, a sudden cold snap for instance for instant hot or cold, the internal noise is barely audible, my VMC is louder, when I do get to use it in summer, and the next few days look promising I really like the sweeping action of the cooled air.

This has been discussed before, try doing a search on Air Source Pump in the top right hand corner.

The one in the link to on Ebay is probably old technology, you should be getting much better C.O.P. figures than those, up around 4.2.

We have replaced all our old electrical heating with these units and it's saved us quite a bit of money. You should get your initial investment back in about 5 to 6 years on all your units after which you will be smiling all the way to the bank not to mention nice and warm.

It is a different type of heating, don't expect to stand in front and get blasted with hot air like a fan heater, it's gentle thus quiet. With the TV or radio on or people talking you won't even notice, it's just a gentle hum.

For more info do the search and read what people say.

[quote user="Quillan"]
The one in the link to on Ebay is probably old technology, you should be getting much better C.O.P. figures than those, up around 4.2.

We have replaced all our old electrical heating with these units and it's saved us quite a bit of money. You should get your initial investment back in about 5 to 6 years on all your units after which you will be smiling all the way to the bank not to mention nice and warm.

It is a different type of heating, don't expect to stand in front and get blasted with hot air like a fan heater, it's gentle thus quiet. With the TV or radio on or people talking you won't even notice, it's just a gentle hum. [/quote]

Useful comments Q; with regard to later technology and better COP figs perhaps you could steer me towards specifics, manufacturers or sites offering these. (I was about to buy until this[8-)])

[quote user="Quillan"]
This has been discussed before, try doing a search on Air Source Pump in the top right hand corner.
For more info do the search and read what people say. [/quote]
http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2416807/ShowPost.aspx

This is a theme I've been following independently and on this forum but the Air Source Pump thread above seems to be about something completely different?

All I can say is I bought mine from Brico Depot, not the best bu very good for the money.

That link is for pools but the other threads  have information within them even though they were not initially about air heat pumps. Also try looking at heating etc, you need to search and read. I don't have the time to find them for you unfortunately.

Thanks for extra info.  We do not need anything for heating - our electric radiators are wonderful but some "cooling" would be brilliant upstairs in the summer (at least when it is hot) as our upstairs "ceilings" are the roof (boarded of course and lots of insulation) so it gets very hot as no "loft" as such.  We love our "pointy" ceilings except when weather very hot.

Will do some research.

H.

[quote user="Hereford"]Thanks for extra info.  We do not need anything for heating - our electric radiators are wonderful but some "cooling" would be brilliant upstairs in the summer (at least when it is hot) as our upstairs "ceilings" are the roof (boarded of course and lots of insulation) so it gets very hot as no "loft" as such.  We love our "pointy" ceilings except when weather very hot.
Will do some research.

H.
[/quote]

Ah but so were ours or so we thought. Basically by replacing them we reduced our electricity bill by a third (I don't have the figures to hand but I did put them on the forum in one of the threads).

However, if your not after heating then look at the normal reversible split units for around 299 Euros in Brico Depot (add another 100 on for all the bits and bobs). You will find they do the job quite well. All you need is a power socket inside near (within 1m) to the unit.

Quillan is right, as an inverter/heat exchanger, which is basically the outside bit of an air conditioning system, is by far the most economical and efficient way to heat your house.

I installed air con in my house several years ago and mainly use it for heating, as the electric radiators were hugely expensive to run.

In fact I notice a lot of new builds are using heat exchangers, as the best way to meet new eco efficiency targets.

We've also been thinking about one of these systems for next year for the bedroom after quite a run of hot evenings/nights. Ours would back on to the balcony as we aren't allowed to put anything on a common wall.  Does anyone know if those used for heating as well as cooling are any larger than just cooling systems? We have electric heaters, which aren't hugely expensive to run, but any money saved would be most welcome.

In general they are the same size the difference is the electronics and the heat pump itself. Rather than stop and start like a conventional unit the speed of the heat pump varies so it can keep a constant temperature in side your house. The older units start, get to temperature, then turn off. When the temperature drops or rises (depending on if you are heating or cooling) they switch on again. Constantly switching on and off actually draws more electricity than just slowing down plus the heat pump benefits and is less likely to fail over time.