How do you use this board?

idun

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Théière"]Many many years ago when we learnt le chat was a cat, my friend Graham was told his French name was Guillaume, is that not right?[/quote]

Graham, I have been informed, is derived from Grantham. I have known a couple of Granthams - and it was also the place where I grew up!

[quote user="woolybanana"] ...  Kevin ... [/quote]

Kevin !! [:D] I can never read or hear this name without remembering the day that my son was born. His English grandmother gave us, in no uncertain terms, her opinion about what her first grandchild should be named. None of the names we'd chosen were good enough for her and pointing out the fact of an extra criterion that the French grandmother had to be able to pronounce it without too much difficulty. Endless arguments it caused to the point that English grandfather retorted : 'Just call him gnikcuf Kevin !!'  [:'(]

That's it. The argument was settled and I won and English grandmother didn't speak to me for quite a few weeks thereafter ...

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="Théière"]Many many years ago when we learnt le chat was a cat, my friend Graham was told his French name was Guillaume, is that not right?[/quote]So Guillaume Le Conquerant should have been called Graham the Conqueror in England - I don't think so!  I suspect your teacher was struggling to find a french equivalent for Graham[:)][/quote]As the great F1driver well knew, the French equivalent of Graham is, and always will be, Graam.  As in "Graam Eel".[:)]

Most of the French people we know have real trouble pronouncing Ian's name so we have now just given up and introduce him as Yanne which makes it easier all around.

I have a good english friend called Regina, so it's not that different to Regine, well not for me it isn't. Gina, well, I am not sure if she would like that, but she doesn't mind 'Reggie' from time to time though. I personally wouldn't ever dream of calling a french girl Reggie though, that would IMO be very impolite.

[quote user="idun"]I have a good english friend called Regina, .[/quote]You see, for me Idun that is another of those names which, in English although not in its French equivalent, is a very cruel one of parents to have given a daughter. No prizes for guessing what  the average cruel adolescent would have called her at school.

[quote user="NormanH"]"Most of the French people we know have real trouble pronouncing Ian's name"...as opposed to the Scots and Irish who seem to have problems spelling it [6]

[/quote]It is a Gaelic name -the equivalent of John in English and correctly spelt Iain. It appears to be the english who have simplified the spelling[:D] But where's the harm in that.

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="idun"]I have a good english friend called Regina, .[/quote]You see, for me Idun that is another of those names which, in English although not in its French equivalent, is a very cruel one of parents to have given a daughter. No prizes for guessing what  the average cruel adolescent would have called her at school.[/quote]

well, even in French, I don't like my name, but hey.. have to do with it ...

In a sense, I am sooooo lucky !! My dad wanted to call me Marcelle !! [:-))][:-))][blink]