How do you use this board?

idun

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plo' is that a good thing, I imagine if it were anywhere between 32 and 42° it would be most welcome. I would love those big drops in temperature, only I would often end up with a cold, as 'I' could cope with them, but my body never seemed so keen.

[quote user="Frecossais"]... Re names: when my sister was expecting her first baby, she bought a book of names. We all liked "Avashag", but she called him Martin.  [/quote]

Avashag [:D] Howzat for a sense of humour!      What nationality is this name ?...

So funny the criteria defining a name in different nationalities. My daughter taught at a school in Thailand for a while and 2 of her pupils who were brothers were called Bank-Bank and Bonk-Bonk. She could never speak of them and keep a straight face !

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="Rose"][quote user="just john "]

That which we call a rose, by any other word would smell as sweet.

[/quote]

[:$] [:$] [:$]

[/quote]

I'm sorry, Rose, nice as you are, how can you smell like me?[:-))]

[/quote]

Well... maybe you smell of roses?  [:D]

And Ploddy... it was cooler yesterday and I put my cardigan on and did get a yearning for colder days when I can feel snug in front of the fire... but then again I'm mighty pleased the sun is back today... so maybe I'm just fickle?

There is a Willy around here whose company I enjoy, - phnaar, phnaar [:-))]

Actually he is the retired medecin who founded the maison medicale and is very well respected by all, no Willy embarassment around here [6]

One English couple had chosen the name Connor for their impending newborn, luckily someone who did not enjoy all the giggling that was going on at their expense was kind enough to explain to them, they didnt choose Peter either!

I have a couple of French friends called David (pronounced Daveed) one is a musician, I recently saw on the groups website that he goes by the name Darvil, or maybe it was Darvel, which is the cooler, Daveed or Darveel?

Well Johnny's son is called David, so the french know the name well.

Hadn't thought of Connor, I suppose Nairn, would be an odd name to call someone in France too and for a girl Sharon.

In my region we had some Willy's and Zizi's. As an adult they were just simply names, now kids giggling about 'zizi' is quite a different thing.

Now if I couldn't speak french before I got here, well more than the odd word, I have a very 'rich' and often rude vocabulary now.[Www] not that I usually use it.[6]

L'Aiffricaine" wrote : 

Have any of his school/lycée friends try to shorten it to Gui - as in the French 'guee' not the English 'gaille' -  

No, not at all . Adults and kids just call him Guillaume .

And he loves his first name, so all is well.

Only problem, in  England, most people just can't pronounce it ....

[quote user="idun"]In England I'd just tell them that Guillaume was William, let them call him Will or Bill, it'll be easier. People will find a way round it, OR they will call him Frenchie.[:-))][/quote]

NON, c'est MOÛA , et je suis UNIQUE !! [:D][:D][:D] 

[quote user="Théière"]Many many years ago when we learnt le chat was a cat, my friend Graham was told his French name was Guillaume, is that not right?[/quote]So Guillaume Le Conquerant should have been called Graham the Conqueror in England - I don't think so!  I suspect your teacher was struggling to find a french equivalent for Graham[:)]

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="Théière"]Many many years ago when we learnt le chat was a cat, my friend Graham was told his French name was Guillaume, is that not right?[/quote]So Guillaume Le Conquerant should have been called Graham the Conqueror in England - I don't think so!  I suspect your teacher was struggling to find a french equivalent for Graham[:)][/quote]

Now you know why I can't do French [:$]

L'Aiffricaine, I don't know where the name Avashag came from, but I promise you it was in a book of names. It certainly gave us a chuckle though.

When I worked in schools, there were children whom you associated with their names: Jakes were little devils, Jasons tended to whine, Charlenes were always angry etc. My own daughters got names I'd not met in school.

[quote user="Frecossais"]L'Aiffricaine, I don't know where the name Avashag came from, but I promise you it was in a book of names. It certainly gave us a chuckle though.

When I worked in schools, there were children whom you associated with their names: Jakes were little devils, Jasons tended to whine, Charlenes were always angry etc. My own daughters got names I'd not met in school.

[/quote]

In older times they were little sh*thouses[:D]

[quote user="Frecossais"]L'Aiffricaine, I don't know where the name Avashag came from,  [/quote]

Name: Avashag
Origin: Hebrew
Meaning: My father's error
Categories: Biblical Names, Jewish Names, Hebrew Names
Used in: Hebrew speaking countries
From the Hebrew meaning "my father's error", "father of error" or "my father's growth".
In the Old Testament, Avishag was King David's nurse when he was old.

But Plod, I think that in french you could well be PloPlo, or Plodot or is the spelling Plodeau. As in Pierre being Pierrot. And Claude Francois was Cloclo. Plenty of ways you can juggle with names. I deliberately didn't just say Ploddy, that would have been trop facile nez pah[;-)]

Looked up Avashag and saw Avishag and Abishag as listed jewish names. I've never seen that name before. And we post at just about the same time.[:D]

[quote user="Frecossais"]Where did you get that from, Norman?

That might be why the Jakes are now known as Jayden these days!

[/quote]

King Lear Act 2 Scene 2

My lord, if you will give me leave, I will tread this unbolted villain into mortar, and daub the wall of a jakes with him

but it was common as a name for a toilet:

It has also been suggested that the Jacques (pronounced Jakweez) in As You Like It who makes the 'Seven Ages of Man speech'  might be a pun on  maybe "Jakes,"  Elizabethan

term for 'privy' or 'toilet.' In any case,

George Sand was so taken with the character that she made him central to

her French adaptation of the play (1856)