How do you use this board?

idun

Thanks Frenchie, yes my name is Sarah. Jacques is 7 starting CE2 Monday week!![:D] (what happened to the 8 weeks , here in Normandy it has rained and rained  ) Maybe then he should start writing his name Jack on his school books.....

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Sara"]Thanks Frenchie, yes my name is Sarah. Jacques is 7 starting CE2 Monday week!![:D] (what happened to the 8 weeks , here in Normandy it has rained and rained  ) Maybe then he should start writing his name Jack on his school books.....[/quote]

I love the name Sarah, that's why I asked you. [:)]

Jack seems a good compromise to me .

CE2 , ohh, he's becoming " un grand " !! [;-)]

[quote user="Sara"]Thanks Frenchie, yes my name is Sarah. Jacques is 7 starting CE2 Monday week!![:D] (what happened to the 8 weeks , here in Normandy it has rained and rained  ) Maybe then he should start writing his name Jack on his school books.....[/quote]

Jack is a very popular name now in the UK, beaten only by Mohammed and Oliver.  Anglicising Jacques name is just a question of pronunciation and in any case children 'grow' into their names.

[quote user="plod"]If everyone was like me the forum would die a rapid death. Most of the time I feel that posting would be intruding into a conversation by people I don't know, but who seem to "know" each other, even shortening their forum name. (It is clear from some of the responses that some of you have met each other). I don't give advice, but I might say "this is what happened to me". I have occasionally asked for, shall I say, thoughts, on something, but treat any replies with caution. I have to say that I like the heated debates, and get quite upset when the moderators "pull" them. If the profession of which I was once an employee is maligned I usually attempt a defence.[/quote]

Ploddy (see, new nickname!), I wish you'd post more often.  I like the way you write and express yourself [:D]

I, too, love it when insults fly around and the mods pull a thread.  That is, I like it if I manage to see the thread before they pull it but am not so happy when I feel I might have missed a few fireworks!

I think I am just nauseatingly nosey and enjoy a bit of other people's discomfort![6]

[quote user="Gemonimo"]

Jack is a very popular name now in the UK, beaten only by Mohammed and Oliver.  Anglicising Jacques name is just a question of pronunciation and in any case children 'grow' into their names.

[/quote]

Thank goodness I didn't grow into mine !!![:D][:D]

[quote user="Frenchie"]

I named my son Guillaume, because 1. it is a medieval name, 2. It can't be shortened , really.

[/quote]

My name is a shortened version of that (admittedly the anglicised version)

In fact one of the shortened versions caused great hilarity at primary school because the other kids could say 'willie' without being punished for using rude words.

And our French neighbour thinks that the English version of Pierre is hilarious, as it's the same as the French verb 'to fart' [:$]

[quote user="Will"][quote user="Frenchie"]

I named my son Guillaume, because 1. it is a medieval name, 2. It can't be shortened , really.

[/quote]

My name is a shortened version of that (admittedly the anglicised version) Yes, I know you can do it with the English version.But not the French one .

In fact one of the shortened versions caused great hilarity at primary school because the other kids could say 'willie' without being punished for using rude words.

And our French neighbour thinks that the English version of Pierre is hilarious, as it's the same as the French verb 'to fart' [:$]

[/quote]

The whole story is that he was to be called William, but as his family name starts with a C .............. [Www]

We prefered to give up on William.. [:D]

[quote user="Will"][quote user="Frenchie"]

[/quote]

My name is a shortened version of that (admittedly the anglicised version)

[/quote]

One of my students a few years ago was going to work in London. A charming young woman, whose name was unfortunately 'Willy' .

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Idun, Cédric is not considered as an old name at all. 

There are plenty of them in their 30s, and 20s, and teenagers...

[/quote]

I know that, but in England it was at that time. It's probably been revived in England now, so many old names have.

Good friends of ours have a son named Wilfreed.  This has always struck us as being very old-fashioned, as well as reminding one immediately of Wilfred Bramble, but of course isn't at all like that here.

When I was in the marketing business there was a research programme called Monica which produced data bases built solely upon forenames.  It was amazing accurate in its profiling abilities, especially with regard to age.

[quote user="Frenchie"]  I love long names. I named my son Guillaume, because 1. it is a medieval name, 2. It can't be shortened , really. Not like Alexandre, which often becomes Alex, Benjamin becomes Benji, etc.. Guillaume is and remains Guillaume . .... [/quote]

Have any of his school/lycée friends try to shorten it to Gui - as in the French 'guee' not the English 'gaille' - sorry no phonetic keys on this qwerty thingemejigg so trying my best to write the sounds I wish to convey ...

Not read all the thread but from its title, it seems to have strangely veered off along the way.

So how for strange name to shorten or not or to change or not ...

My daughter is called Aline. Her name has been shortened to ... B! That is real lateral thinking.  The English just don't get this name at all, just can't pronounce it correctly, yet there is a loch and a town in north Scotland named so ! I didn't name her because of that geographical point but because it is a good old French name I have always liked and I thought it could never be shortened.    Awfull Mother I am ! my poor girl, she has the proverbial mick taken every day over her name ... At least her French grandmother can say it properly!

and my son is named Christopher. He answers (and has been known to do so since school) to Wissington! Go and figure that one out ...

I am afflicted with the name of Blanche. Of course pure as the driven snow [Www] [;-)]

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="plod"]I have to say that I like the heated debates, and get quite upset when the moderators "pull" them. If the profession of which I was once an employee is maligned I usually attempt a defence.[/quote]I, too, love it when insults fly around and the mods pull a thread.  That is, I like it if I manage to see the thread before they pull it but am not so happy when I feel I might have missed a few fireworks![/quote]

I think the majority of posters like to read verbal fisticuffs... unless they find themselves at the receiving end, that is! [:D]

I'd be quite happy to let them fly, where it not for the reports and PMs from the offended parties and those offended on their behalf, usually demanding immediate action from the mods...

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="plod"]I have to say that I like the heated debates, and get quite upset when the moderators "pull" them. If the profession of which I was once an employee is maligned I usually attempt a defence.[/quote]I, too, love it when insults fly around and the mods pull a thread.  That is, I like it if I manage to see the thread before they pull it but am not so happy when I feel I might have missed a few fireworks![/quote]

I think the majority of posters like to read verbal fisticuffs... unless they find themselves at the receiving end, that is! [:D]

I'd be quite happy to let them fly, where it not for the reports and PMs from the offended parties and those offended on their behalf, usually demanding immediate action from the mods...

[/quote]

Because they are not capable of "standing on their own two feet"

Leo, it's not always a matter of standing on your own two feet. Sometimes the posts on here degenerate into infantile, unpleasant sniping. They're not amusing to me and they don't advance discussion.

I quite admire the people who are obviously trying to deflect any more barbs and get the subject back on track - the peacemakers.

At the same time I enjoy good-natured banter.

Re names: when my sister was expecting her first baby, she bought a book of names. We all liked "Avashag", but she called him Martin. 

[quote user="Rose"][quote user="just john "] That which we call a rose, by any other word would smell as sweet. [/quote]
[:$] [:$] [:$] [/quote]

But where are you trilling now Rose? The cafe in Riberac was closed last month, I hear the owner had a nervous breakdown after his wife's cancer?

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="plod"]I have to say that I like the heated debates, and get quite upset when the moderators "pull" them. If the profession of which I was once an employee is maligned I usually attempt a defence.[/quote]I, too, love it when insults fly around and the mods pull a thread.  That is, I like it if I manage to see the thread before they pull it but am not so happy when I feel I might have missed a few fireworks![/quote]

[/quote]When it comes to verbal fisticuffs or banter my motto is "If you can't take it, don't dish it out". There are a few people who are much more sensitive when they are receivers than when they are dishing it out.

This does not excuse anyone who is unnecessarily sharp on newcomers. Lets remain a welcoming community

[quote user="just john "]

[quote user="Rose"][quote user="just john "] That which we call a rose, by any other word would smell as sweet. [/quote]

[:$] [:$] [:$] [/quote]

But where are you trilling now Rose? The cafe in Riberac was closed last month, I hear the owner had a nervous breakdown after his wife's cancer?

[/quote]

It has closed but did a few evenings at a nearby restaurant the other side of town.  We're at a wedding tomorrow and a party in a couple of weeks... if we do anything local I'll let you know [:D]