How do you use this board?

idun

[quote user="idun"]

So how do you use this board, do any of you read and re-read and re-read eternally, posting rarely.

[/quote]

I've not been a member for as long as a lot of you... I'm maybe no longer a newbie but I've still only got one light!

I pop in frequently, I use the active topics and see if anything jumps out at me.  If I have more time I'll read more topics and see what's being said.  I'm aware that I miss lots of threads but I always reckon that if something important is relevant to me... someone will give me a nudge, or an email.

I do reply but not as much as I did or as much as others.  Sometimes I start to reply and change my mind... maybe I dont feel I know enough, or maybe I think I'm just saying the same as everyone else, sometimes it's because I dont want to get involved in a dispute... but sometimes my hackles are up and I do want to get into a dispute [:$]

As for friends... oh yes!  I agree with coops on this one... I've met a few members and I would agree that they were all very much like I expected and I certainly didn't feel like they were strangers to me.  I'm very glad I found this forum, it's a great source of information and friendship and support... and friendship can spring from the most surprising places!

If I have one tiny little complaint it would be to agree with another comment that sometimes 'we' can be a bit harsh on newcomers;  I dont find the search on here that great and sometimes I just want to court opinion again... so maybe we could be always be nice to the new people [Www]

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Rose"] I do reply but not as much as I did or as much as others.  Sometimes I start to reply and change my mind... maybe I dont feel I know enough, or maybe I think I'm just saying the same as everyone else, sometimes it's because I dont want to get involved in a dispute... but sometimes my hackles are up and I do want to get into a dispute [:$]
If I have one tiny little complaint it would be to agree with another comment that sometimes 'we' can be a bit harsh on newcomers;  I dont find the search on here that great and sometimes I just want to court opinion again... so maybe we could be always be nice to the new people [Www] [/quote]

All of the above for me too Rose!! The search on here is truly abysmal, I have read Clare's comments and suggestions but I've spent hours sometimes searching and given up, Google is about 16secs, but not the threads on here.
One thing that does really get my hackles up is when posts degenerate into insults and usually when I log out. Comments such as 'its already been covered' are really not very helpful without the post url. Howabout be nice - full stop;

Do I count as a lurker, Idun?! not many posts in 5 years, yet I probably look at the forum once a day.

I agree with many of the comments already made - I really only post when I'm sure of myself (the information I'm giving), or if I feel my opinion is "different" in some way to those opinions already posted.

I enjoy reading other people's posts, and I would definitely say you could make friends on a forum. I'm probably a fairly reserved/introverted person and I suppose I'm the same in the "virtual" world....

Do please keep it up though, you seven times a day posters as you give me something to read killing time in quiet periods at work!!

Lou

[quote user="Frenchie"]At work !! Ohhhh !! ........................ [;-)].......... [:)][/quote]Yes, it made me smile too!  I belong to a motor racing forum which is populated by people (mostly guys) who are, largely, still at work during the week, unlike the majority on this forum who, unlike the two of you, are retired.  It's quite busy during the daytime in the week but come the weekend virtually nobody posts.  I can't imagine why that is...[Www][:D]

If everyone was like me the forum would die a rapid death. Most of the time I feel that posting would be intruding into a conversation by people I don't know, but who seem to "know" each other, even shortening their forum name. (It is clear from some of the responses that some of you have met each other). I don't give advice, but I might say "this is what happened to me". I have occasionally asked for, shall I say, thoughts, on something, but treat any replies with caution. I have to say that I like the heated debates, and get quite upset when the moderators "pull" them.

If the profession of which I was once an employee is maligned I usually attempt a defence.

Come on Plo, just do it. See how easy it is to shorten a name[;-)].

You wouldn't be interupting or interfering and I haven't met anyone on here.And one day I might, there are enough people I like, even though we don't always agree! And when I lived in France, I didn't really live near anyone anyway.

This is a good topic, Idun, not least because some of the infrequent posters like Plod have talked about what stops them from posting a lot.  It is certainly a bit of a shame if people feel they are somehow "interupting" groups of long-term posters because I for one often wish there were more people to join in and add a bit of diversity to the discussion and new perspectives to the forum as a whole.

It's one of the main reasons why I get so irritated when people are rude to newcomers.  Don't they want  more people to interact with or do they just prefer to belong to a clique which nobody else wants to enter?

The name shortening thing is something which in real life really winds me up.  As many regular posters know, my real name is Deborah.  I always introduce myself as such, or Deb if I feel the person I'm adressing can't cope with too many sylables at once!  I'm constantly amazed at the number of people who, after just a few minutes, will start calling me Debbie (which I hate) or who manage to add an S to Deb and call me Debs.  One thing lovely about France is that it's not a common habit here - Deborah I am and Deborah I am always called.[:)]

That is very true.  When young I was always Chris to everyone, but in France have always been called Christine by everyone, so now I have lost the habit myself of saying Chris.  Sometimes when writing when we were younger, some French would say Dear Christ!  Oh my dog.   [:D]

I've only just realised writing the above that Chris to the French must have sounded like Christ (pronounced the French way).

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Deborah, sorry, I for one have often called you Coops or Deb. [:$]

Will try not to do it again, now knowing you dislike it !!

For a revenge, call me REG ... [;-)]

[/quote]Oh, I'm not really that sensitive, Reg!  It's Debbie which I truly cannot abide.  You may call me whatever you wish, my dear, I will not hold it against you.

I quite like Pookie too, Woolyb. [:)]

[quote user="cooperlola"] my real name is Deborah.  Deborah I am and Deborah I am always called.[:)][/quote]

D, What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other word would smell as sweet.[6]

Worse than the Bristolian habit of shortening names, (I was usually JJ), some names get irritatingly elongated, mine became Jonathan when Mother had something serious to say[Www]

I love long names. I named my son Guillaume, because 1. it is a medieval name, 2. It can't be shortened , really. Not like Alexandre, which often becomes Alex, Benjamin becomes Benji, etc..

Guillaume is and remains Guillaume . He had a twin originally , Paul . But destiny has decided he would not live.

I guess people would have called him Paulo.

[:)]  My very good friend Paul is frequently referred to as Pauly-Wauly (wyb)!  My o/h's name (Ian) can't be shortened, so at work his surname was altered and used instead.  Maybe it's something about human beings in general which persuades them that shortening (or otherwise b*ggering about with) people's given names is somehow affectionate?  For sure, it is not meant to offend, but to endear, even if that's not always the effect it has.

Frenchie, talking of names I feel I may have made a mistake calling my son Jacques here in France. As he was born here I wanted to give him a french name so that he could blend in more, but unfortunately that has not happened. On the contrary some children take the micky out of his name, why is this? Is it too old fashioned, could he shorten it to Jac, will that make him look a bit cooler (?)[8-|] 

[quote user="Russethouse"] Lots of call Cooperlola 'Coops' don't we ? Oh dear ![:(][/quote]I think it's quite different when one is using a keyboard since it's a bit tedious to type out long forum names.  But face-to-face, where is the problem in using the name which its owner prefers?

[quote user="Sara"]Frenchie, talking of names I feel I may have made a mistake calling my son Jacques here in France. As he was born here I wanted to give him a french name so that he could blend in more, but unfortunately that has not happened. On the contrary some children take the micky out of his name, why is this? Is it too old fashioned, could he shorten it to Jac, will that make him look a bit cooler (?)[8-|] [/quote]

Hello Sara,    Is Sarah your real name ? ( if you don't want to answer that question it is perfectly OK !) 

Jacques is unusual for a child in France, and you know how kids can be...

Maybe he could just use the English equivalent, Jack ?    That could make him " cooler " .. ( I know how stupid that sounds but I know kids, I work with them..... )

How old is he ?

I'm glad that a few people who don't post much have posted. I do 'know' these people though, they may think that they are being a little reticent, but they haven't gone un noticed, by me, at least.

In my life I have been called all sorts, what I don't like is my own name, so I am really not bothered by most of the nick names I have had. Insulting ones are a little different though. [:-))]

Sara, yes, names like Jacques are old fashioned in France. However, my friend's son who is nearly 30 is called Cedric and we knew a lad who'll be 25 now called Herbert and these names seemed very old fashioned to me, but the old names have made a come back in the UK Here is a link to popular names over the years http://www.bebe-prenoms.com/pages/type_top.htm

We had our boys in France and picked names that would 'do' in both languages and for all one has a french name it is a proper english name too. We knew that everyone would know that they had british parents, from our surname, so we didn't try and hide the fact either. It is hard, but for example, who in their right mind would have a baby boy in France and call him Peter. The kids would have a field day with that, it would be cruel beyond words.