Feedback on my house

[quote user="just john "]

I wonder why you have not chosen to save the hassle and place the property with an agent?,

they can deal with choice of info, pics and deal with viewings enquiries etc?

I think your website should read more like an Agents ad, than a blog,

as for price well you can always go high or middle and accept offers,

I've seen the line,''Try an offer, owner keen to sell''

A couple of months ago I placed a building plot with an agent and was told that there was little chance of selling in the current market, but they would put it on their site anyway; todate they have had 4 viewings (while I have been in the UK) and one repeated enquiry which seems to be seriously interested -

The format they successfully employ, is a single large photo, (taken on a beautiful day and selected from a half a dozen), a headline giving the name of the village, followed by the area, followed by the price and then a short block of single line info with minimum relevant details, anyone interested would only take a few minutes to read and appraise whether to visit or contact the agent for details or further pics etc, and in many cases (me included) would rather talk to an agent than the owner. See content style below.[Www]

Dordogne/Charente borders

€33,000

2,000m² with CU & detailed planning in place for single storey 4 bed house with Balcony,

Sous-sol, Double Garage, room for pool.

Amazing panoramic views over valley (Michelin viewpoint).

Rural Setting with excellent access, on edge of woods near quiet hamlet,

Water, Electricity and Telephone all available.

5mins to thriving village with all services,

(Bank, Bar, Boucherie, Boulangerie, Charcuterie, Epicerie, Hotel, PO, Restaurant, Supermarche)

15mins Aubeterre, 45mins Angouleme, 20mins Riberac, approx 90mins Bordeaux airport. approx 80mins Bergerac airport.

More land available, if required

[/quote]

I have the property placed with 3 agents as well.

I think that's the way I have to go, that's a good format. I'll move the text I've written to the blog part of my site and put a link to it.

I was hoping to get some of this done today, but with Hurricane Irene on its way, I've been trying to prepare for that.

An internal floor plan with dimensions would be helpful early on the website as well as in the brochure.

Your website is aimed at the English language buyers, so give them what a UK agent would.

In the meantime, good luck with the weather.

Haven't read all this thread so this may have been said before but but what leapt out at me is (1) are you sure about saying 'taxe d'habitation depends on your income', this is simply not true for second home owners, (2) p-l-ease, 'One of its assets IS' not 'one of its assets ARE'.

Too many words, too few headings to help you skip through all the text, too personal, sorry didn't do it for me.

[quote user="EuroTrash"]Haven't read all this thread so this may have been said before but but what leapt out at me is (1) are you sure about saying 'taxe d'habitation depends on your income', this is simply not true for second home owners, (2) p-l-ease, 'One of its assets IS' not 'one of its assets ARE'.

Too many words, too few headings to help you skip through all the text, too personal, sorry didn't do it for me.[/quote]

1. When I lived there, tax d'habitation was dependent on my income I believe. And now, it's the only home I own, so I am not a second home owner. Besides it will depend on whether the new owner uses this as a second home or first home, doesn't it?

2. As for the rest, oops on the grammar error, obviously slipped through as I am a grammar nazi and it seems you agree with most others regarding the amount of text. Your grammar and spelling are a little amiss also, but as it's only a forum, I forgive you ;)

Am planning on fixing it up tomorrow I hope. Didn't sleep much this weekend thanks to the hurricane.

@ Renaud I have a floor plan in the brochure, but I haven't got the measurements unfortunately.

I'll have to look at some English agents sites to see how they do it, that's a good idea.

Richard, I believe that, as long as you are no longer French resident, it is counted as a second home.  Someone please tell me whether I have understood correctly?

Floor plans are always good but, failing those, it's better to give dimensions than the floor area:  eg it's much better to say the bedroom is 12 m x 14 m than the bedroom is 16.8 sq m.

It's easier to "imagine" 12 x 14 than 16.8.  Also it's easier to get an idea of the "shape" of the room with length and width; giving the dimensions that way enables someone to think ah yes it's a good rectangular shape, will take a large bed well, etc etc. 

Who ever is in on the first of January is liable for the impots locaux for that year, you are responsible for the taxe fonciere.

If no one is in on the 1st of January then you are responsible and will pay the full amount due as you have no income in France.

That's my understanding, and in fact that is what we did. We left France in Feb 2008 and didn't sell until July 2009 and had to pay the impots locaux for 2009 for our unoccupied house.

edit: and the taxe fonciere bien sur, this was split between the new owners and ourselves, but purely based on the previous years figures.

[quote user="EuroTrash"]I don't see any need to make reference to taxes in a property advert, in fact I think it would be far better not to. If they want to know, they'll ask.[/quote]This rang little bells with me so I had a quick look at some of the estate agents' fliers about some of the properties we looked at.  All have details of the local taxes plus average annual fuel bills etc.  Thus it seems common to state these here (possibly a requirement?).  It may well be something which a French buyer, for example, wants and is accustomed to being able to compare before shortlisting a property.  Dunno.  Just a passing thought.

I don't know about on flyers but I don't recall ever noticing these details on websites? As of this year they all have the diagnostiques in any case which tells you its energy efficiency so quoting annual average fuel bills as well would seem a bit pointless. But I know that in the UK house adverts give you the council tax band so maybe estate agents do this because British viewers expect it.

[quote user="EuroTrash"]But I know that in the UK house adverts give you the council tax band so maybe estate agents do this because British viewers expect it.[/quote]The ones I'm looking at are all in French.

(EDIT : And badly presented and produced they all are, to boot.)

I can't see where I have put "salon's".

I'm not finished on the site yet, I started, but have not completed it. Kids and holidays are really stopping me getting anything done.

It's breaking my heart selling for this price. It's what I paid before doing any work to it. But it is what it is, I just want out and to start again. Life's a bitch sometimes.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"] It's breaking my heart selling for this price. It's what I paid before doing any work to it.[/quote]

On that balance sheet of your's don't forget to put a value on goodwill, for the experience, memories, people along the way and so on.
Nothing is for nothing, pay to learn etc and of course if it really hurts don't do it, put it with an agent at a price that makes you happy, then just put in the back of your mind; revisit next year to see if it is really what you want to do, maybe the kids would want to keep it even.[8-)]

Incidently here is a well trod expat agent's site that may give you an idea of how little it takes to get someone interested in places for sale. No mention of taxes on site. . . http://www.residenceenfrance.com

Usual disclaimers etc.