Too old to be a 'petite amie'?

fluffy tree

I was wondering if the french have a word equivalent to 'partner' where couples are living together, but not actually married? We are in our 50's so I'm assuming we're probably a little too crumbly for the french boyfriend/girlfriend of petit(e) ami(e) - but I'm unsure how to explain our relationship when my partner is referred to as my husband!

Compagnon, /  concubin(e) and the lady will always be addressed by her man, as 'ma femme' anyway. It is what she calls him that I would  be in doubt about. Nous habitons ensemble sounds fine to me.

As someone who lived 'in sin' years ago, when it was, at least where I lived, very severely frowned upon and my mother not speaking to me for years (not a bad thing) and from my point of view 'naughty but nice', know that in an unmarried state one is a  lover? man friend? lady friend? 

Partner? NEVER! It sounds like it means something, has some 'rights' attached to it, which it doesn't. We have friends, not young, who work together and now live together and they work for the MOD and have noted on their personnel files LIL, which sounds OK to me too.

As I qualify as a grumpy old woman now, I hate 'partner' used as it is now a days, with a passion.

Plenty of suggestions to choose from! In the UK I'll say boyfriend, partner or other half depending on the situation, so it's good to know there's a similar variety here. I'm very happy to be described as 'petite' anything these days as it's been a while, and yes, we do more than bake bread together, but maybe we won't introduce ourselves by implying that we've just popped out of the bedroom for some fresh air! lol

[quote user="Loiseau"]"Amant" could seem to imply lots going on in the bedroom department [:D].   Depends how much of your life you want to reveal to people...

"Copain / copine" would be suitable perhaps?

Angela
[/quote]

Well if amant is not applicable, then copain is just the word, isn't it!

I am married, what does that imply then? How much am I giving away?[:-))]