DSK, can we believe this?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="cooperlola"]It's been said already on this thread, I know, but whatever the outcome of the DSK case, if its legacy is to empower women to come out against abuses of this sort then some real and positive good will have come out of this sorry affair.[/quote]

Deb, on that I wholeheartedly agree. As I tried to outline in earlier posts, there is far too much abuse of women by men - many of whom thinking they have a right to do it.

But I will reserve my judgement on whether or not DSK is guilty until we hear the official version(s) of what it is alleged went on. But there is no guarantee they will be honest versions. In fact, it is most unlikely as many members of the legal professions around the world will often resort to untruths to ensure they win their cases come-what-may.

I would like to believe 'but at the length truth will out' - however I doubt it. 

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Droit de Cuissage.

Useful french political "argot" to fit the moment![6]

" trousser une soubrette"

http://www.lejdd.fr/Election-presidentielle-2012/Actualite/Eva-Joly-Le-temps-ou-l-on-pouvait-baiser-les-soubrettes-en-toute-impunite-est-revolu-interview-319857/?from=cover

[/quote]

Started to read this article and then lost patience. French justice is 'better'? Has she not seen those juge d'instruction etc who are snowed under with dossiers often going back years and say they haven't the time to deal with them properly. And those 'years' mean that people are waiting for justice.

If the article went onto be more 'raisonable' later then I missed it, and I apologise, I was obvioulsy  too impatitent with what I considered ridiculous statements.

Well we will have to disagree about that then.

I never ever trusted the gendarmes. And they are the first line people in the justice system. Friends were fired at by the gendarmes and they asked for their bullets back! Couldn't make it up, things like that.

I saw the Affair Gregoire go on and on and on and on and perhaps still is. So was and still unimpressed with it all, and actually it worried me, just in case something ever happened.

Well, I should have said " whan I see  and hear" ..

We are on the DSK thread, so I mean, for instance, showing  somebody on TV , handcuffed, after 30 hours of being questioned , pointing this person as a perv, etc etc, when nothing has been proved is , IMO, against human rights.

Innocent until proven guilty.

In France we have a law which forbids to show people in such situations.

And I think it is a good thing.

DSK had the right to a lawyer from the first moment and did not need to say a word.

Remember he was seen as a potential flight case, to a country which has no extradition treaty with France, like a certain convicted, paedophile film maker.

He could also have fled to the Embassy.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

DSK is treated as any other person who is suspected of committing a crime in the US. Why should he be treated differently?

[/quote]

Noone should be shown on television in those conditions, whether it's DSK or anyone else, as long as it is not known if they are guilty.  If they have been caught in the act, that's different.

Wooly, just because someone said you had attacked her and it was not true, would you like to go through all that?

[quote user="woolybanana"]

DSK is treated as any other person who is suspected of committing a crime in the US. Why should he be treated differently?

[/quote]

I never said he should have been treated differently !

That's the treatment of any person " innocent until proven guilty" that I disagree with .

Won't the majority of french people have seen people menotte on american films or tv programs. My belief was that every last person who is arrested in the US is handcuffed. Can anyone tell me any different.

So I really do not understand why this was a surprise to anyone and it shouldn't have been to DSK either when they came for him. His surprise was surely that they came for him in the first place.

[quote user="Frenchie"]I'm afraid this is another debate.I wanted to stay on the DSK track...[/quote]

if it's not up for discussion on this thread, then why make a comment about it in the first place?

You compared both justice systems.

You imply one was better than the other but refuse to engage in a debate.

I would say both have their faults but how they are currently compared in the media in France is bound to make the French system a better one.

I agree with idun regarding the length of time it takes for a suspect to be declared innocent or guilty, particularly if the suspect is found innocent.

Relying on a single person - the juge d'instruction - to decide in which direction the police should look is inherently subject to bias, no matter how impartial he/she is supposed to be.

But no matter, we're not discussing it now...

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="Frenchie"]I'm afraid this is another debate.I wanted to stay on the DSK track...[/quote]
if it's not up for discussion on this thread, then why make a comment about it in the first place? I made a comment about American justice in LINK WITH   DSK's arrest, so I thought that was the right place to do it. But I didn't want to be off track and start an endless debate that would have had no link witb the topic of this thread.

You compared both justice systems.

You imply one was better than the other but refuse to engage in a debate. No, sorry, I'm ready to debate about the treatment of people who are innocent until proven guilty in both countries.
[/quote]