What is going on in London?

Joe

Spoke to the missus this morning who is visiting various friends in London. She hadn't seen any damage, though she'd seen it on television! She doesn't seem at all bothered, though of course we live near Paris, where this sort of thing happens so frequently it doesn't even make the news any longer.[:(]

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Norman wrote: I would see the roots earlier than Blair and Brown, in the period that launched the power of the Murdoch press, and deregulated markets.

Absolutely Norman, Maggie and her co-Horts have a lot more to answer for than the Labour movement.

Shoot looters, shoot those throwing petrol bombs, spears, slabs of concrete etc at police, fire fighters and ambulance people, clear crowds with bulldozers.

I would suggest martial law but the army is wasting it's time and my money elsewhere.

Softy of N Lot

[quote user="NickP"]

Norman wrote: I would see the roots earlier than Blair and Brown, in the period that launched the power of the Murdoch press, and deregulated markets.

Absolutely Norman, Maggie and her co-Horts have a lot more to answer for than the Labour movement.

[/quote]

Oh for goodness sake change the record - what utter rubbish!!!

This isn't about politics !!! Get a grip....and stop making excuses.....

It's about bad parenting and yob / gang / mob culture which has somehow become unchallenged in the UK.

So these scum don't know the difference between right and wrong ?? B**llocks !!

They want it, they want it now and they have absolutely no intention of working or paying for it !

Simon :-)

I just watched the FR3 reportage, the image that stuck with me was of a thirtysomething white couple probably parents of a young family, some might call them yuppies, not least of which the mob that had torched the buildings around them, they were very nervously venturing out of their front door under the protection of the police and the eyes of the media.

It was just a small terraced house typical of most in the area, built originally for factory or dock workers although it probably cost the family a small fortune; they must be rueing the day (is that how its spelt?) that they decided to move into an up and coming area [:(]

[quote user="Simon-come-lately"][quote user="NickP"]

[/quote]

It's about bad parenting and yob / gang / mob culture which has somehow become unchallenged in the UK.

They want it, they want it now and they have absolutely no intention of working or paying for it !

[/quote]

Bit like people who can't express themselves without resorting to bad language.

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="sweet 17"]

Morally bankrupt, that's the UK now.

[/quote]

That's not only very offensive but also built on gutter journalism and sensationalism - there are millions of ordinary upright moral  people in the UK - and frankly I don't think we need to take any lessons from France, when were the last riots there ? Not long enough ago  for France  to be morally superior for sure.

[/quote]

Er.....where exactly did I say that France was "morally superior"?

And why do you just take one statement of mine and remove it completely out of its context?  I did go on to explain, in quite some detail, why I thought the UK was morally bankrupt.  I gave several examples from public life to prop up my own statement.

You ought to know by now that I rarely say things without explaining why I say them.  Unlike some on here, and I don't need to name names, I am not in the habit of knee jerk reactions or sound off without, at least in my own mind, justification for my opinions.

So....are you going to remove my post now?[6]

[/quote]

Why would I remove your post  ? Frankly I resent the implication. Unless you are actually threatening to shoot someone ?  You started with a sweeping generalisation - what do you expect ?

Yes, you went on to give your reasons but like the first statement they are 'cherry picking' - the actions of a few (and they are a few in real terms)  do not make the whole country 'morally bankrupt' 

Who is there to set standards and to look up to?

MPs, greedy, dishonest.  The police with the newly-resigned Met Chief, thinking it's fine to stay at a luxury health farm without paying and unable to see any conflict of interest in that. Firstly at least he resigned, thus acknowledging wrong doing and it has been made clear its unacceptable, we'd be in more trouble if that hadn't been the message

So called celebrities and culture "icons"....greedy, spendthrift, over paid for their meagre talents. Sadly those that are like that get the most publicity, like any other walk of life there are good and bad.

Bankers and people in the city, equally greedy and irresponsible. Yes there are bankers who are irresponsible but again they are the ones we hear about, whats more they are individuals taking advantage of the  current conditions in that industry - would you turn down the money ? And if you did, what would it achieve?

Them and Us, you bet!  Too many divisions and no one prepared to condemn blatant contraventions of social order and deal with it firmly.

Far too black and white, although I think there is an erosion of the fear of consequences of an individuals actions and that is down to basic education and successive governments who have got softer and softer

As to these looters, I saw a man repeatedly hitting at a glass window for easily 10 minutes and then, when he didn't manage to break it, he threw his stick over the air to land it on other people.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick someone out like that and shoot him.  The rest of the thugs would soon scatter, I can tell you!

Yes and then they would use that as a reason to do worse.

I saw the special bulletin on the BBC a little while ago. I thought it nice to see that not all young people are 'scum'. One group (in Liverpool) had set up a Facebook page to get other young people to help clear up the mess. The lad who was interviewed said it didn't matter who actually did it, he and his friends just didn't like seeing all the mess around where they lived. Loved his comment about the fact that "he wouldn't leave his own bedroom in such a state". Next were the contents of some video from a mobile phone with two lads discussing exactly what they were going to loot from Debenhams, watches or other stuff although watches were easier to sell said another. There is good and bad in every society and I just hope we don't fall in to the old trap of labeling all youths with the same brush.

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="sweet 17"]

Morally bankrupt, that's the UK now.

[/quote]

That's not only very offensive but also built on gutter journalism and sensationalism - there are millions of ordinary upright moral  people in the UK - and frankly I don't think we need to take any lessons from France, when were the last riots there ? Not long enough ago  for France  to be morally superior for sure.

[/quote]

Er.....where exactly did I say that France was "morally superior"?

And why do you just take one statement of mine and remove it completely out of its context?  I did go on to explain, in quite some detail, why I thought the UK was morally bankrupt.  I gave several examples from public life to prop up my own statement.

You ought to know by now that I rarely say things without explaining why I say them.  Unlike some on here, and I don't need to name names, I am not in the habit of knee jerk reactions or sound off without, at least in my own mind, justification for my opinions.

So....are you going to remove my post now?[6]

[/quote]

Why would I remove your post  ? Frankly I resent the implication. Unless you are actually threatening to shoot someone ?  You started with a sweeping generalisation - what do you expect ?

Yes, you went on to give your reasons but like the first statement they are 'cherry picking' - the actions of a few (and they are a few in real terms)  do not make the whole country 'morally bankrupt' 

Who is there to set standards and to look up to?

MPs, greedy, dishonest.  The police with the newly-resigned Met Chief, thinking it's fine to stay at a luxury health farm without paying and unable to see any conflict of interest in that. Firstly at least he resigned, thus acknowledging wrong doing and it has been made clear its unacceptable, we'd be in more trouble if that hadn't been the message

So called celebrities and culture "icons"....greedy, spendthrift, over paid for their meagre talents. Sadly those that are like that get the most publicity, like any other walk of life there are good and bad.

Bankers and people in the city, equally greedy and irresponsible. Yes there are bankers who are irresponsible but again they are the ones we hear about, whats more they are individuals taking advantage of the  current conditions in that industry - would you turn down the money ? And if you did, what would it achieve?

Them and Us, you bet!  Too many divisions and no one prepared to condemn blatant contraventions of social order and deal with it firmly.

Far too black and white, although I think there is an erosion of the fear of consequences of an individuals actions and that is down to basic education and successive governments who have got softer and softer

As to these looters, I saw a man repeatedly hitting at a glass window for easily 10 minutes and then, when he didn't manage to break it, he threw his stick over the air to land it on other people.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick someone out like that and shoot him.  The rest of the thugs would soon scatter, I can tell you!

Yes and then they would use that as a reason to do worse.

[/quote]

For once I agree with RH [:-))]

That looked for all the world like a mixed race mugging so that put's that stereo type to bed. The "victim" looked chinese so they only took a lot of copy DVD's

EDIT: Just been informed the shops are closing and boarding up in Eltham high street right now as they are expecting a march imminently!

[quote user="Théière"]Yes they still don't see their country as in debt, is that correct?[/quote]

As the column seems to be direct quotes from the UK press, I am slightly bemused by your reference to "THEY".

Are you perhaps having difficulties in retranslating the already translated english. If otherwise please point me to the part of the column referring to the ubiquitous "THEY".

Post edited by the moderators.

Please do not post any material that you don't have the right to transmit under law, such as copyright.

As to french perception of the national debt.

I will say nothing!

La crise financière impose la dette comme le premier enjeu majeur de la campagne électorale pour la présidentielle de 2012 en France, un thème inédit dans un pays qui n'a plus présenté de budget à l'équilibre depuis 30 ans et place droite et gauche dans l'embarras.[:D]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="Théière"]Yes they still don't see their country as in debt, is that correct?[/quote]

As the column seems to be direct quotes from the UK press, I am slightly bemused by your reference to "THEY".

[/quote]

No it was in response to Norman's post about the public's response underneath the article.

Paying more tax (UK is a huge tax haven, oh of course it is!) would stop violent outburst just like the ones regularly around Paris.

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="Simon-come-lately"][quote user="NickP"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bit like people who can't express themselves without resorting to bad language.

[/quote]

I thought he expressed himself extremely well, unlike resorting to sterotypes about 1980s politics. Most of these thugs weren't even born when Maggie was in power. They've grown up under handout Labour. Watched a bleater on Sky News just now saying it was because parenting classes had been cut [:-))] and yoof clubs were closing in Slough. I don't see this lot playing pool in the Scout Hut !!

Greyman wrote: I thought he expressed himself extremely well, unlike resorting to sterotypes about 1980s politics. Most of these thugs weren't even born when Maggie was in power. They've grown up under handout Labour. Watched a bleater on Sky News just now saying it was because parenting classes had been cut Woot! [:-))] and yoof clubs were closing in Slough. I don't see this lot playing pool in the Scout Hut !!

Seeing as you used the same expression as he did; your comments don't surprise me. If you took the trouble to read properly and understand what I wrote, you would realise that my comment  about Margaret Thatcher alluded to her being the architect and leader of the "I want it now brigade" But of course your right wing leanings wouldn't allow you to understand or believe that could be true. [:D]

This will probably end up with the streets being taken back by residents who will band together to protect their property. I imagine the Asian shopkeepers will be drawing on their communities to turn out and provide protection for them and they will not be empty handed . Lets just hope the Police take control fast before sections of the population decide to get involved .