prices of delivered gas (tank)

frank

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether or not there is a way of comparing prices of gas (to refill tank, not bottled) by various companies such as Antargaz. I know there's a government site that allows you to compare the prices of natural gas but I can't seem to find anything on delivered gas.

FYI, I've had notification from Antargaz that my contract price next year will be at 1,560.78 euros TTC per tonne. The standing charge for the year will be 212.27 euros TTC. Good . . . reasonable . . . . or not?

Thanks for any comments.

Frank

Don't know about per tonne but we do not pay a standing charge .... over 10 years ago we paid approx £400 up front. Because our wood fires are so good ... We use gas mostly for range .... expect company to have a hissy fit soon since we fill our tank (85% or approx 850kg) every 2-3 years.

We have Antargaz.

Dec. 2010 the price for the current year was 1.483,04€ per tonne TCC.  So your quote is an increase of about .01€.

Not bad compared with the increase from previous Dec. when the price was was 1.184€ per tonne.!

I think gas is very expensive.

I haven't compared the Antargaz price with other providers, but we did change to them a few years ago from Totalgaz as they gave a better deal.

Actually, for the year 2011 we paid 1,363.44 euros per tonne. The quote of 1,560.78 for 2012 means an increase per tonne of almost 200 euros, virtually a 15% increase.

You're right Patf, gas is expensive but that's some jump.

I don't think there's enough competition for these guys to worry about!

not yet in France, so can only give you my UK experience..

consider the option to dump the gas install oil ,(putting aside the possibility of wood chip) and to hell with the capital cost.

dont compare the cost of a litre of oil with a litre or tonne of delivered gas, look at the thermal output from each.. the gas is misleading and from memory was about 25 percent less than oil.

the gas companies ran a cartel here, not filling each others tanks.. making it more expensive than it need be

rgds

Bill

ps capital cost may mean a ten year or more payback, but the good point is

the nasty jolt you get each time u fillup is not quite so nasty.

as an aside solar for heating water may help

If it is any help to anybody:

We took over the previous owner's Totalgaz tank and contract when we bought the maison secondaire in 2004. The first and only (!) time we used the central heating for a period quickly made us realise it was an un-affordable luxury - so we only use gas for cooking and hot water. We use the log insert all the time. (By the way, we're probably a bit odd and seem to spend more time there in winter than summer - but that's another story).

I'm rambling and to the point - we topped up with 300 kg in May 2011 and the rate was €1040.97 per tonne. We also pay about €100 per year for so called rent/maintenance of the tank.

Patf - I paid around €1400 (or more) per tonne earlier this year.  Can't remember exactly and of course I can't find the bill now!

I'm with Primagaz, above ground tank and no annual charges at all, they just send an engineer every 2 years to check the system (inside the house too!) and I have never been charged for that either. 

If I order at off peak times and give more than 8 days notice they even waive the delivery fee

I think that Butagaz are the only company who advertise their prices as they charge the same to all their customers. All the other companies charge individual rates which depend on how long you sign the contract for, how long you have been a customer, whether they deliver top ups when they want or you order each time for a refill etc. I have just ended an 7 year contract with Antargaz (my plumber at the time was obviously on a commsion with them at the time) at quite a steep rate, and in addition they charged a deposit (I paid 700€) when the tank was installed which when it is refunded to me will, in real terms, be worth a lot less than it was in 2002. I have gone with Butagaz as they are honest about what they charge to everyone. If you change it is a PITA as Antargaz have 2 months to remove their tank. You can't just replace one tank with another, I have to have another hole dug for the new tank as I have no idea when Antargaz will remove theirs.

hi There was an eu investiation into price fixing/non competitive practise.. also in other places such as australia, but I digress ..

http://www.internationallawoffice.com/newsletters/detail.aspx?g=3cc7fb80-6320-493d-919a-7f4193f79fd7

and the Uk continues , I bet there is a french one as well .

http://www.lpggassuppliers.co.uk/lpggasuk/articles/further-information-regarding-the-oft-market-study/

http://www.competition-commission.org.uk/our_role/speeches/pdf/freeman_beesley_181007.pdf

to name but a few.. it is fundementally wrong to rent you a tank, Then (collectively) refuse to fill your customers tank without yearly certification, and not require it yourself. not to fill other companies tanks (collusion), and then to overcharge for gaz /privalage . and and and and...

As an aside, my gas tank sat here for 9 years empty untill they came to collect.

I nearly sold it but thought better of the idea.

mmm best mend my ways before buying, our house, and must be positive about the french system ! :) rgds Bill ..