Killed by a Chasseur while picking mushrooms

Seems a strange choice of words to call the shooter a 'marksman' don't you think.

They are out around here as I type this, bang, bang.

On occasions when I have watched these hunters rarely, if ever, have I seen any of these people take account of what is behind their target. A basic rule in use of weapons.

And firing a rifle at a moving target well, I'm not even going there.

[quote user="Frederick"]t.. How can you mistake a cow for wild life ?[/quote]

When you have sunk three quarters of a bottle of pastis over the course of the previous couple of hours, as is the custom among may "hunters" here, then its probably quite an easy mistake to make.

I use inverted commas around the word "hunters" as that is not really what they are about. Sure, some of the older chaps hunt for sport / food as has always been the case but the younger ones here see it as an excuse to get drunk, run round the woods dressed up like Rambo and play with guns.

We had english friends staying with us during the hunting season. Two of the blokes just went off for a walk, not a word, just went, and told their wives they were going up to the forrest.

I nearly had a fit. We had no idea where they had gone and could hear the guns going. Talk about relief when they got back. They had heard the guns in the distance but not near them.

Dogs get killed, as stated, cows anything really, including humans. They don't care, it is their right to kill anything they see and even that that they don't.

[quote user="idun"]Dogs get killed, as stated, cows anything really, including humans. They don't care, it is their right to kill anything they see and even that that they don't.[/quote]

One Sunday afternoon, before the families arrived for their Sunday stroll, OH and I walked down to one of the local beaches discussing which direction we were going to take - left or right - when we got there. Emerging onto the sand we saw to the left, on a small headland, a seemingly upset hunter. He was wearing all the gear and brandishing in one hand a rifle and in the other a bottle. He was shaking both alternately at the sky as if to complain he hadn't hit anything. For OH and I the decision was made; we turned right.

Sue

What amazes me is the obtaining of a shooting licence but not that of a licence to hold a shotgun or a riffle.

In France you have a licence/certifcate to shoot. So just have any weapon you fancy and go blasting. My sister, long ago, used to dish them out in the Prefecture de Niort. I did ask her once how it worked as 'im indoors wanted to come shooting in France one holiday. I don't remember her asking if he had a gun licence, insurance etc... only thing she worried about was his 'permission to shoot' licence. What about if the person asking for a permit had mental illness she would have been none the wiser ...

Whilst in UK you have a licence to own a riffle or shotgun. And don't I know how pernickety the police is about 'im indoors to have all his armoury in tip-top condition, insurance, licence all up to date, all locked up inside a steel cupboard hidden in the house and me not knowing where the keys to the cupboard are, with a once in a while an unannounced inspection by the local PC Plod, the palavar of having the licence renewed, double and trebble checks done on the owner's mental health, the palavar around the sale of a gun or a rifle or even the mere gift of passing the gun onto one's son or nephew ...  

I did live in a village, not 'in' the country. But as with the town I live in now, there is country side all around and people I know do go walking.

Who would decide if the chasseurs should have their guns. Sadly with the human rights acts, the looney tunes can do as they please these days without any 'rights' to the rest of us. I"m thinking about someone I know here, who probably needs to be locked up for everyone else's good and they have a gun.

I live in the countryside and I avoid riding my VTT or walking through the forest on hunting days (Thursday and Saturday here). There's plenty of other places to go, stick to the open fields or roads. We're certainly not going to be able to change their habits.

What makes me laugh are the sign "take care hunting dogs" on the main roads. How about a sign for the dogs "take care, traffic!". Not that I'm anti-dog at all, it's just the assumption that we'll work around their idiotic pastime.

That happened to me in the UK and I was very shocked, it was however a country house and I was at the end of the drive working on the gates.

Were it to happen to me in France and knowing now that it doesnt hurt I would not be shocked or outraged.

What always does make me wonder though is the scenes of all the militants liberating Iraq, Egypt, Libya, wherever, they always shhot off their AK47's into the air amongst the crowd, surely a 5 or 9mm bullet returning at terminal velocity is going to do more than sting?

[quote user="Chancer"]

That happened to me in the UK and I was very shocked, it was however a country house and I was at the end of the drive working on the gates.

Were it to happen to me in France and knowing now that it doesnt hurt I would not be shocked or outraged.

What always does make me wonder though is the scenes of all the militants liberating Iraq, Egypt, Libya, wherever, they always shhot off their AK47's into the air amongst the crowd, surely a 5 or 9mm bullet returning at terminal velocity is going to do more than sting?

[/quote]

Exactly. what goes up must come down !!!!!

The UAE eventually banned the firing of weapons in the air at ''celebrations'' after a number of people were killed by descending rounds.

The number fired at Shk Mohd's wedding some years ago was absolutely frightening.

I don't remember much about my grandfather on my mothers side, but one story I do clearly remember concerns a "spent" bullet.

As a younger man he spent a lot of time in various Afrian countries, and was a keen photographer. He dug about in an old chest of stuff and produced an old camera in a leather case. It had a couple of different lenses, which were each in their own leather pouch, attached to the main one by cords.

He had been walking along minding his own business with the whole lot slung over his shoulder when he felt a thump on his back. He showed me one of the lense cases which had been hit by a bullet, which had entered the pouch, smashed the lense but lacked the energy to exit the case.

Lucky day!