Married women poorer drivers.........

idun

But only when their husband's are in the car when they are driving.

I saw this earlier and had to heartily agree. My husband can scream like a girl when I am driving and he distracts me no end. I don't need it in the car. In fact last year someone pulled out in front of me from standing and as I was on my own, I was not in an accident at all. IF he had been there I'll swear we'd both be dead. Instead I drove off proud that my reflexes had been just right.

Several male friends of ours love my driving, just not my O/H!

My OH is a pretty competent driver, I dislike the term 'good' because it's too subjective and doesn't really mean much, what is the definition of a 'good driver' ?

She also says the only time she only misses a turn or gets lost is when I'm in the car but I think the truth is she does it on her own too but doesn't realise it !

[quote user="NormanH"]Since when has any self-respecting man let his wife drive? [6]
[/quote]

Since she got our camper broadside down a dual carriageway in the wet then recovering to straight ahead and navigating the surprise roundabout without a murmer . . . for what seemed about a century of silence after which she said, 'that was lucky'

[quote user="Cendrillon"]I quite often drive my OH and on a long journey he has been known to drop off to sleep while I drive, so I can't be too bad! [;-)]

[/quote]Ah but sleep is well known defence mechanism [;-)]

On longer journeys my OH probably spends 75% of the time asleep, or at least dozing whilst half reading her Kindle.

Not saying the two things are necessarily related in her case of course !

There's a lot of men who shouldn't be let out on their own either. In fact there are one or two I know who shouldn't be allowed to drive at all; indeed I have one friend who I will not get in hs car if he is driving. Statistically women are better drivers than men and have far fewer accidents than men which is why they used to get cheaper insurance. When I was in the RAF all my drivers were women, not because of a sexist thing but because they were safer.

If I put my sexist hat on I can't believe I just said all that but unfortunately chaps, it's the truth.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Cendrillon"]I quite often drive my OH and on a long journey he has been known to drop off to sleep while I drive, so I can't be too bad! [;-)]

[/quote]Ah but sleep is well known defence mechanism [;-)]

Ha Ha![:)]

On longer journeys my OH probably spends 75% of the time asleep, or at least dozing whilst half reading her Kindle.

Not saying the two things are necessarily related in her case of course !

[/quote]

On long journeys mine appears to have his eyes closed, only not quite, one half open like a sleeping dragon.

I can drive how I want. I soon learnt to drive like a maniac when I got to France although I usually don't these days........but that actually got me out of my near miss, being able to put my foot down and weave out of the situation. Braking after all, is not always the solution.

Am I a good driver, well that is what I've been told, unsolicited remarks.

Manys the time I have pulled up at the side of the road and told OH if he doesnt like my driving........Best Walk the rest of the way

He never does... but hate being told ...

You should have overtaken

Watch that car

Dont get so close

Why cant he shut up and let me concentrate on driving grrrrrrrrrr

We are not quite at the stage of the Hyacinth Bucket's 'there's a tree', but sometimes we are not far off such comments, not the tree.

You blokes are rather strange in general about nagging the lady driver, not just me and mine, I have discussed this with female friends and our experiences are fairly similar with the 'helpful critiques' we get from our huvving lusbands!![:@]

My mother was a far better driver than my father. I think all my girl friends have been good drivers as well. I think the main trouble is that the insecure members of our community (male and female) find it difficult to cope when they are not in control of a situation and, being a passenger, they are not in control. Because they hate it so much, they do things like give advice (or instructuions) in order to feel as if they have regained some of that control they so crave. (Control freaks.... I hate 'em)

My wife is a great driver (although she doesn't like it much).  She never complains about my driving as she is usually trying to read the map whilst holding it upside down......as we drift down the A6 and she tells me she's found Stuttgart I know it's not going to work too well...........

Then let her drive and you navigate [:)]

I once drove back from the  ferry and asked OH to navigate, he went to sleep leaving me with no idea where to go,(literally in the dark) I pulled up right under an illuminated sign so I could read the map, he woke up, furious about where I had parked - you can imagine the air was blue!!! [6]

Two male passengers, at different times, attempted to make comments about my driving. I will add, that they were not drivers themselves. [:@] Both were treated the same, I pulled over, stopped & told them if they didn't like it, to get out & walk.......they shut up!! [6]

A very sensible friend of ours said that the solution was that ladies drive, men navigate and a car would get to it's destination safely and without deviation.

I have to admit that I more or less said the same to my husband as we were leaving Liverpool a few weeks ago. Shut up or get out and...... and Liverpool is quite a long way from home. He shut his eyes and said nothing.

[quote user="idun"]

A very sensible friend of ours said that the solution was that ladies drive, men navigate and a car would get to it's destination safely and without deviation.

[/quote]This practice has been followed very successfully by Mrs Rabbie and myself[:)]