Renewing a passport

Angel

Can't believe how much it is to renew a passport compared to the U.K. I've just filled in my form today and it's 185.00€ for an adult (inc p&p)! And 127.00€ for a child! Unfortunately I have to renew 5 passports! 2 adults and three children...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be interested to see what the service is like, too.

In UK, on the Monday before Christmas, I sent off 2 passport applications for renewals. I sent then SD so would have arrived on the Tuesday, 20 Dec. They were each successfully issued, one arriving back on the Thursday 22 Dec, the second a week later.

I call that excellent service!

Pouyade

Last time I did it in France, back in 2003, the passport was lost in the post.

I had to fax a declaration to say I hadn't received it, after a long phone call.

They did provide a replacement just in time for my trip though.

Official documents sent by non registered post here have gone missing on three different occasions in the last few years.

I believe this is more a reflection on La Poste which is quite dreadful, than on the sending authority, but I wish they would use registered post as a matter if course.

There has been a huge difference in price, for quite a number of years as the Foreign Office took over from the Home Office. Something which could add to the costs is that it seems that a company has been brought in to take over the enquiries etc and they are charging a lot when calling the consulate.

Yes your right, there has been a big difference in price for a number of years, but because the Euro and pound are near enough the same value it really is a big difference, if you get my meaning!!

Also I had to ring up as I was unsure of something and wanted to double check my inquiry. You have to call a center called "Careline", and you have to pay for it!!! I was only on the phone for about 3 minutes and a couple of days later when I checked my bank account they had taken out 7.86€!!

I've got mine ready to go, just waiting for my money to come through to pay mandat cash at post office. Apparently the new passport is now printed and sent from the UK on reading their website for downloading the forms. All a big ripoff really.

I had to renew ours recently

The service was very good, but there is NO justification whatsoever for the level of the charges.

Next time I will do them when I am in UK for a period with a friends address  for them to be posted to.

When I challenged the embassy in Paris, I was told "well someone has to pay for us to be here to support you" [:@]

[quote user="Pommier"]Is there any way of renewing in the UK without going there? I was thinking of sending the applications and old passports to be returned to my daughter's address, then she could bring them when she visits. Would that work?[/quote]

Now there's a thought! I wonder if it's possible too.

[quote user="Pommier"]Is there any way of renewing in the UK without going there? I was thinking of sending the applications and old passports to be returned to my daughter's address, then she could bring them when she visits. Would that work?[/quote]

Some people do it and get away with it , I would advise do not do it.

"Delivery of your passport 
Your new passport will be delivered by Secure Delivery. Secure Delivery couriers routinely deliver between 8.00 am and 6.00 pm Monday to Saturday. In most cases, the courier will: 

•take a photo of the property where the passport was delivered 
•record the address and delivery time and date 
In certain postcode areas you’ll need to sign for your passport. The delivery company will leave a calling card if you’re not home. 

You can arrange to collect your passport from the courier between Monday and Friday. Or, you can request that your passport is redelivered at a certain time (Monday to Saturday). You’ll have to pay an additional mileage-based charge for this, so the cost will depend on where you live. 

Through the courier, you can also arrange to collect your passport from a Regional Passport Office, during its opening hours, from Monday to Saturday.
 "

My son's was delivered by courrier and no calling card, they just dropped it through the letter box, no signature, but we had been warned that that is what could happen by the passport clerk in Durham.  As he needed it urgently, that suited us.

I think that the thing I object to most is those calls costing so much now.

I too have just sent off my passport for renewal - using the Paris "route" as I could see no possibility of being in the UK before it was due for renewal in 6 weeks time.  I sent if off last Monday recommandé avec accuse de reception etc ... again it will be interesting to see how long it takes. Still waiting for ack of receipt.   It is expensive - but I won't mind that so much if it works and comes quickly - though I suspect it won't - but the very complicated procedure you have to follow at the moment until the new system is completely in place is really a joke.   I had to spend ages working out from different websites just what I had to do.   I do think they could make it easier all round esp for what is a straight forward renewal of a passport I've held for about 40 years.

[quote user="Angel"]It's nice to know that I wasn't the only one who found their website not the easiest to retrieve information! I don't know about anybody else but I found their photo information complicated.....[/quote]

Yes and it hasn't got the excuse that it is French - as they are always so badly designed.  I spent my professional life finding information, which is what annoyed me even more.  It really does NOT have to be THAT complicated!!!

Good luck to us both, Angel, lets us hope we both get out new passports back soon.

Angel and/or Judith

Can you please tell me what other documents you need to send in addition to the old passport?

I'm tossing up whether to go for a short stay in the UK and get it done as well as my teeth, glasses, etc (before I get jumped on, I fully expect to pay for the glasses and teeth; well, maybe one tooth).

Hope I don't need anyone to certify likeness of the new photos!  I mean, I reckon that I look better with passing age .......[:D] 

Hi sweet 17,

I filled in a C1 form. Had two photo's done (The machine at Le'Clerc. Cost 4.00€ for 4 photo's) I haven't dramatically changed since last passport so no one (As far as I know!) had to certify the likeness. Printed off the debit/credit card payment form and filled that out and put everything into an envelope and sent it off with my old passport. From what I read on their web site it was not necessary to send any other documents. Hope this helps.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Angel and/or Judith

Can you please tell me what other documents you need to send in addition to the old passport?

Hope I don't need anyone to certify likeness of the new photos!  I mean, I reckon that I look better with passing age .......[:D] 

[/quote]

I sent photos which had been taken 2 years ago (so much for within a month) and asked an English friend here who was/ is  a teacher to countersign. She was happy that I still looked like my photos (once I had removed my glasses!!).  I sent no other paperwork other than the form which I completed electronically and then printed off, the photos, countersigned, and the credit card payment slip.  We shall see what transpires.

Incidentally, I prefer my younger self .... it looks more like me with specs and a "slight" smile.  This time I have no glasses (as recommended - how do you see to put the money in the machine I wonder??) and my hair was not so nicely done!!!  I also look very serious as without glasses I frown and I tried not to smile, as per instructions!!!!