Can't stop smiling

Gemonimo

Watch yourself Gemonimo ! I wasn't particularly excited before my first grandchild was born.

Now my brain is addled !

I'm sure that your grandchild will be the most talented, intelligent and beautiful in the world. Just like mine are.

Hoddy

It's just soooo exciting, more exciting than becoming a mother for the first time in fact.  Is there a 'handbook' for being a granny? Do I have to go grey, have a perm , wear 'support stockings', learn to knit, buy futures in smarties and dolly mixtures?  Or do I just have to be there when needed and babysit when required?

Definitely don't need a grey perm, or support stockings, although I am considering wearing tights under my trousers on cold days.

Among many other joys I quite like being subversive. I tell tales of how 'naughty' their parents were when young. They love it - it can sometimes defuse problems too.

Hoddy

I remember the first Christmas after the birth of my first Grand daughter...

It suddenly became much more moving and significant as I saw it a celebration of the wonder of birth and new hope, in a way that I never had time to reflect on after he birth of my own son.

I think that that slight distance lets you relive parenthood without the hard bits.

Congratulations, you will adore being a Granny [B]

Congratulations! I really like the sound of Hoddy's "subversive" granny. I shall aim for subversive when my turn comes. Hopefully it will come before "senile", but maybe not. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm ready for it yet, but if and when it comes, I'll be as subversive as possible. I hope being the grandparent of a child prodigy is full of joy for you. It certainly seems to be for the vast majority of grandparents I know.

[quote user="NormanH"]I remember the first Christmas after the birth of my first Grand daughter...
It suddenly became much more moving and significant as I saw it a celebration of the wonder of birth and new hope, in a way that I never had time to reflect on after he birth of my own son.

I think that that slight distance lets you relive parenthood without the hard bits.
Congratulations, you will adore being a Granny [B]
[/quote]

That was so apt, Norman! Not being particularly religious, somehow this Christmas seemed to have more significance for me - the new life and new hope for the future, all wrapped up in this one little girl.

You are all so wise! I guess one 'grows' into grandparenthood the way one 'grows' into parenthood.

As for the distance, Norman, I guess it has its advantages, but also the inconveniences of not seeing grandchildren growing up or being available for babysitting.  At least there is Skype, if I can figure out how to make it work[Www]

Congrats Gemonimo[:D]

[quote user="Hoddy"] Among many other joys I quite like being subversive. I tell tales of how 'naughty' their parents were when young. They love it - it can sometimes defuse problems too. [/quote]

Struck a note there Hoddy, my three have become a bit of a raison d'être, not to mention the second customer at the bank of Dad (or Nanfer as I have become, what are you called?) and even a bit of serious Normy . . .

[quote user="NormanH"]I remember the first Christmas after the birth of my first Grand daughter...

I think that that slight distance lets you relive parenthood without the hard bits. [/quote]

The cherry on the top as is oft quoted is being able to hand them back![Www]

My oldest one went through a stage of calling me Gaga which everyone liked; she's grown out of it now though and I'm just Grandma to them all. Like you John I have three, all girls, and that has reignited the not very dormant feminist in me.

I wonder if Gemonimo has started worrying about schools yet ?

Hoddy

I had great problems trying to get used to buying baby clothes which weren't blue! I really love blue, and really dislike (all right, hate!) pink, always have. There are some pretty baby clothes in various shades, but I'm assured that our little one is a girlie girl, and into pink! Now if only I could find some clothes in my other favourites - black & white!

Be warned, once these grandchildren come along there's no stopping them.[;-)] We have two daughters, both married in 2007 the babies arrived 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011[8-|] I think they might have finished now! 

We have two grandsons and two granddaughters, each time I got it wrong and made quilts with blue patches for the girls and ones with pink patches for the boys![8-)]

Gen if your grandchild is anything like my four I have to say they are all little loves.

Yes, it's brilliant isn't it? About 3 weeks ago we found out that our only daughter is expecting her first baby.

I just wanted to charge up and down the street shreiking 'I'm going to be a granny!!' like I'm the only it has ever happened to, lol! I can't believe that my 'baby' is going to be a mum herself.

One of wonderful things that I find about it is that now you can look at various websites that show you 3D images of the baby in the womb at each week of pregnancy so you can see the development week by week. There was nothing like that when I had our daughter.

Oooohhhh, it's just so exciting!!!

Yes, it's brilliant isn't it? About 3 weeks ago we found out that our only daughter is expecting her first baby.

I just wanted to charge up and down the street shreiking 'I'm going to be a granny!!' like I'm the only one it has ever happened to, lol! I can't believe that my 'baby' is going to be a mum herself.

One of wonderful things that I find about it is that now you can look at various websites that show you 3D images of the baby in the womb at each week of pregnancy so you can see the development week by week. There was nothing like that when I had our daughter.

Oooohhhh, it's just so exciting!!!