Snow - freezing weather

WendyG

[quote user="Cendrillon"]A hat, Berghaus jacket (not bulky but windproof) and lined trousers from Craghoppers worked for me last weekend, my fingers were cold to begin with but after 20 minutes of brisk Nordic walking I was warm and stayed that way for the rest of the three hour walk.
[/quote]

That is pretty much what I was wearing when doing 4 hour randonnées at the weekend, I am a great fan of layering, it allows you to have the exact amount of insulation you need especially when working hard.

I have a few Berghaus Goretex Paclite jackets, they are just an incredibly thin and compact (and very expensive) pakamac or K-way but the absolute best for stopping the wind, I layer up with a long sleeved lycra gym vest and a French Army polaire, it is only a little thicker than the Decathlon/L'Eclerc ones but a lot warmer and has very tight elastic on the cuffs, when walking or exercising I dont even need a shirt or T-shirt.

On the bottom I used to wear army surplus long johns but have found that lycra cycling leggings are actually warmer, more comfortable and a lot less encumbrant, I wear Craghoppers unlined summer trousers over the top and have never found the need for lined ones, on the other hand if i start getting too hot I can at least zip off the legs.

I wore exactly the same clothing when I tried and failed to climb Mount Cotopaxi where we got to 5600 meters just a couple of hundred short of the summit before the conditions worsened, I was not at all cold although did have a lot of my own insulation then [:D]

I virtually live in Craghoppers trousers and my only complaint is that the sizes are a bit too generous, flattering it may be to wear something of a smaller size than you really are but the smallest they do for men is a 30" waist and they flap around on me whereas for any other clothing (Columbia Sportswear excepted) a 30" would be a good fit.

I took delivery today some clothing from Tesco including some warm stuff, the delivery was very quick (I ordered it Saturday) and the price very very good, 4 pairs of thick walking socks, great quality and British made, thinsulate gloves and hat, a polaire dressing gown, a very good quality pair of best trousers and a very good quality Gingham long sleeved shirt all for £45 including delivery, I have paid that much in the past for trousers alone of equal quality.

Everything was a sale item and there was an extra £10 off which more then covered the £6.95 european delivery.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor Gem and poor mogs:  yes, must be horrible without hot water.  Still, just boil the kettle to wash the essential bits?[:)]

I have at least 3 layers of clothing on at any one time and, because it's not exactly clothes-washing weather, I take all 3 layers off over my head (not undoing fiddly buttons or zips) at night and, in the morning, I pull all layers back on over my head.  I sniff them first to make sure they smell all right though![:D]

Had the most amazing walk with dog this afternoon and I wasn't cold today because I had the right clothes on.  I wore a thick thermal vest from Damart, a fleece, then my ski jacket and I had on some double layer golfing trousers (they are from a company called Moose and I must do a bit of googling to see if they are still around).

Actually, GG, the Landsend cuff things didn't just apply to the squall jackets but also to a couple of zipped-up fleeces.  They are years old, probably from the 1980s so I feel I have had my money's worth out of them.  And it could be the case that their suppliers weren't so good in the old days or it could be just a duff lot that I bought.

Will have another look at their site.  The other company I used to buy outdoor stuff from was Orvis:  not cheap but good quality. Like Landsend, the clothes tend to be unflattering but last for practically ever.

I may be tempted by some jumpers and fleeces because since the régime that I have been following since last September, I think I have dropped at least one size, maybe two.

Cinders, I was thinking of you this afternoon as I walked in the snow through woods where the only tracks were mine and the dog's from the last 3 days and deer and other critters.  Do you think Bear Grylls would come walking with me and tell me what the tracks mean?[:D]

It was quite hard going, double poling all the way in the woods but easy walking on traffic-free roads.  Wish you could have come with me.

[quote user="Chancer"]

On the bottom I used to wear army surplus long johns but have found that lycra cycling leggings are actually warmer, more comfortable and a lot less encumbrant, I wear Craghoppers unlined summer trousers over the top and have never found the need for lined ones, on the other hand if i start getting too hot I can at least zip off the legs.

I virtually live in Craghoppers trousers and my only complaint is that the sizes are a bit too generous, flattering it may be to wear something of a smaller size than you really are but the smallest they do for men is a 30" waist and they flap around on me whereas for any other clothing (Columbia Sportswear excepted) a 30" would be a good fit.

I took delivery today some clothing from Tesco including some warm stuff, the delivery was very quick (I ordered it Saturday) and the price very very good, 4 pairs of thick walking socks, great quality and British made, thinsulate gloves and hat, a polaire dressing gown, a very good quality pair of best trousers and a very good quality Gingham long sleeved shirt all for £45 including delivery, I have paid that much in the past for trousers alone of equal quality.

Everything was a sale item and there was an extra £10 off which more then covered the £6.95 european delivery.

[/quote]

Chance, like you, I find Craghoppers trousers much too generous, especially now I have lost a few inches round my middle.  I always did find the crutch bit of their trousers too long and too baggy, EVEN when I was much bigger.

With the Tesco, can you buy with a credit card (British) but with a French address?  Wasn't there some discussion about how impossible this was to do?

Also, can you buy household linens and have them sent out?

Wish I could buy one of their kitchens WITH FREE FITTING!!![+o(][+o(][+o(]

Gentlemen ...............

Isn't it amazing, how on a thread entitled 'Snow', women can turn it in to a debate about the relative qualities of various types of clothes? (oh .............. and kitchens!!)

Worried about Chancer though, who has joined in. Has he gone over to the 'dark side'? [Www]

Gardian we are talking here about sensible clothing for the arctic weather we are experiencing not fancy fripperies!!!

Craghopper trouser are my favourites and fit my shape,[8-|] I have three pairs, different weights for summer and winter wear and bought them all at a designer outlet mall. The Berghaus jacket, brand new with labels, I bought on eBay for £28 a couple of years ago, it's worth looking on there if you know your size.

Sweets, would love to have been out walking with you today but I was busy working and earning an honest crust for once.

[quote user="Gardian"]

Gentlemen ...............

Isn't it amazing, how on a thread entitled 'Snow', women can turn it in to a debate about the relative qualities of various types of clothes? (oh .............. and kitchens!!)

Worried about Chancer though, who has joined in. Has he gone over to the 'dark side'? [Www]

[/quote]

Well, Gardian, we don't mind if you care to describe to us what you are wearing today?[;-)]

Yioupiiiii! I have hot water! My boiler is in the north facing garage and barely insulated so to defrost the pipe I made a 'tent' of that silver insulation stuff and put a radiator underneath.  Well, after six hours and no movement, I went back to the bon vieux method, got out my hairdryer and the pipe was flowing in less than five minutes[Www]

And I'm sure both Gardian and Chancer look sublime in whatever they are wearing, colour coordinated or not.[:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"][quote user="Chancer"]

[/quote]

With the Tesco, can you buy with a credit card (British) but with a French address?  Wasn't there some discussion about how impossible this was to do?

Also, can you buy household linens and have them sent out?

[/quote]

Yes that is exactly what I do but the card is registered to my UK address, I simply set up 2 delivery addresses, logically if you have an English card registered to a French address then it should be even more secure for them, give it a try.

I dont think that they offer international deliveries on other products from their web site, best to have a look to be sure.

My weight has remained at 71/72 kg since the end of the summer, I really want to drop the last couple of kilos to get to a round figure which will also be 11 stone, I suspect after 3 days of the regime for my coloscopy and having taken the preparation for colonic lavage (as it is marked in English on the box) my wish is going to be granted.

"My weight has remained at 71/72 kg since the end of the summer, I really

want to drop the last couple of kilos to get to a round figure which

will also be 11 stone, I suspect after 3 days of the regime for my

coloscopy and having taken the preparation for colonic lavage (as it is

marked in English on the box) my wish is going to be granted."

I am sure it will Chancer BUT be warned, after the colonoscopy as soon as you start to eat and drink normally the pounds will creep back on. [blink]

Today I got an email from my Vendee water provider regarding the present severe cold . This was to make me aware that should the counter/meter become damaged by the severe cold because I had not taken care to insulate it from the cold properly .

I will be charged if they have to come out and fix it ... I am to insulate it with polythene not straw paper or any absorbent material .

They are no doubt covering themselves ready for future call outs and to limit the costs they

may have to face if they feel its not been insulated to their satisfaction

Il est toujours temps de protéger votre compteur : de simples précautions peuvent vous éviter des dégâts matériels importants :

Si votre compteur est à l’extérieur, utilisez du polystyrène pour l’isoler. Evitez absolument la paille, le textile, le papier, la laine de verre qui absorbent l’humidité et favorisent le gel des installations. Si votre compteur est situé à l’intérieur dans un local non chauffé, entourez vos installations avec une gaine isolante. Vous avez des tuyauteries à l’extérieur ? Pensez à vidanger le circuit et à fermer le robinet d’alimentation concerné pour éviter le gel.

Le compteur est placé sous votre responsabilité. S’il est endommagé, l’intervention nécessaire pour le réparer ou le remplacer vous sera facturée.

We were living at the foot of The Wrekin in Shropshire during the winter of 1981/82. On 10th Jan 1982, the lowest official English temperature was recorded by the nearby college and by RAF Shawbury at -26.1C, which I believe remains the record for England. 

Our house was heated by a Parkray solid fuel fire and back-boiler and we ran out of anthracite. With a toddler and a young baby, action was required.  My Alfa refused to start so I dug our abandoned MOT-failure Renault 16 out from under the snow and amazingly it started. I drove to the coal yard in nearby Wellington (no tax or insurance, and very little floor left in the rust-infected car) and loaded the old bus up with anything they had. Got back just in time to keep the fire going. The only problem we had was with pipework in the unheated downstairs loo.

A neighbour had a fancy oil fired system in his rambling house which he left on continuously. He had mocked me for not converting to oil but he came off much worse than us. His radiator layout was so extensive that the water had cooled so much by the time it reached the last radiator that it froze and split.

The journey to the coal yard did finish off the old Renault, though, but only when I got back and crashed it through the frozen snow to get it back into the garden. The snow dislodged the starter lead and set the (brilliant) engine on fire. I could have charged the neighbours to warm themselves by it.

AZ, sounds like that episode has lived in your memory![:D]

OH was determined to get the car up our steepish drive and go to the nearest supermarket.  He'd already tried yesterday.  And today, wheels were spinning like mad.

Fortunately for him, he has a wife with brains AND brawn![:D]  Whilst he was watching the new sat lunch time, I got a spade out, broke up all the impacted snow and ice the length of the drive and told him it should be OK.

And, of course, it was![:D]

Can't claim all the credit, however.  The sun was actually quite warm and the stuff was softish so I could jab the spade into it and roughen it up a bit.

Mind you, couldn't take the risk of driving it back in down the slope as, by 5 pm., everything was freezing up again.  He's left it on the road outside but, at least, you could say that we've been out in the car!

An ex employee of ours lived not far from you Alan.  Two years ago we had -23 in the morning.

Are these temperatures the norm?  It has been way below freezing for getting on for three weeks here now, the last two weeks I don't think have been above -5 in the day time.  This is our first winter here and are trying to decide on the amount of wood we will need for next year.

I remember 1981/2 well - we were actually living in a married quarter on the base at RAF Shawbury. There was a single lads accomodation block opposite housing maybe 40 or 50 lads and their heating pipes froze so each man was given an electric convector fire - which not surprisingly was far too much for the electrical system to cope with.!   They were not happy bunnies.  We had thick ice on the inside of all our windows for over two weeks and our dog (a yellow Lab) just refused to go outside at all and had to be dragged into the garden.  One thing that I do remember is that when the temp goes below -20 the inside of your nose begins to freeze - really not very pleasant.

[quote user="crossy67"]An ex employee of ours lived not far from you Alan.  Two years ago we had -23 in the morning.

Are these temperatures the norm?  It has been way below freezing for getting on for three weeks here now, the last two weeks I don't think have been above -5 in the day time.  This is our first winter here and are trying to decide on the amount of wood we will need for next year.

[/quote]

This particular cold snap is unusual in the very low temperatures which arrived suddenly, but not unusual in that winters in France can be much colder than many people from the UK imagine at the start.

Altitude and distance from the Gulf Stream have an important factor to play, more than the fact that we are further South.