cost of heating oil

this may be totally unhelpful but there is a website http://www.boilerjuice.com/heatingOilPrices.php which keeps a running chart of heating oil prices around the UK.

There may be one in France doing something similar but this shows how the price can change even over quite short periods.  We now tend to buy when the price is acceptable rather than fill up when we are nearly empty.

[quote user="WJT"]

I just paid 71.5 TTC last week for 1500 litres for superior. I have asked this before but does anyone know if there is a way of knowing that it is superior versus normal fuel?

[/quote]

Le fioul domestique  supérieur : Chaque marque a le sien et ils se valent. Il apporte une légère amélioration dans la combustion du fioul / fuel domestique. Il minimise l'encrassement du conduits de cheminée et protège votre cuve contre l'encrassement. La différence de prix (15 à 25 € m3) est absorbée par un léger gain de consommation.

71,5 cents/lit seems a tad more than the 2,5 cents/lit differential with standard mentioned on the fioul moins cher web site.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Le fioul domestique  supérieur : Chaque marque a le sien et ils se valent. Il apporte une légère amélioration dans la combustion du fioul / fuel domestique. Il minimise l'encrassement du conduits de cheminée et protège votre cuve contre l'encrassement. La différence de prix (15 à 25 € m3) est absorbée par un léger gain de consommation.

[/quote]

This still doesn't explain the difference, perhaps a heating engineer could clarify. I suppose it must have additives which help stop jet blockage but wonder if it is worth premium price especially when new jets are only about 15€ and we have one fitted at every service.

Our heating engineer said the same, burns cleaner, more efficiently, and doesn't "wax" in very cold weather, which is just the time you need your heating to work. He doesn't have anything to gain, it's not as if we buy our heating fuel from him.

The point about the jet is that you don't want it blocked right in the middle of winter just because the oil has become too thick to spray properly. It's not a case of it getting dirty, the filter should help prevent that, but rather a temporary thing because of the weather. The price difference for the fuel roughly equates to the cost of a jet, which you may be replacing unnecessarily (mine is 4 years old) but you will also burn less of the premium fuel to acheive the same heat production. 

We're part of a group in the village, 22 members, and take advantage of the group discount. I only mention this for those who don't know that there are such benefits. You need to take a delivery on a specified day of course, when everyone is forewarned, and usually a minimum quantity, (500 litres min for our group). With most people taking 1000-1500 litres  it makes for an economical morning for the delivery company, and a not-to-be-sniffed-at saving!

Sid 

Wooly

I'm waiting now to find out what our latest price is. I'll report back on here when I know. Our organiser watches the prices like a hawk. I only take one delivery per year and I'm down to less than 400 litres now so I'll be taking 1200 hopefully.

I have to say it saves me a lot of trouble phoning round myself, the only slight problem is having to wait until everyone is ready, and making sure I'm at home on the day.

Sid

[quote user="WJT"]But is there a way of knowing that superior is delivered and not normal fuel?[/quote]

Without doing a forensic test, probably not. You can see the tanker, always "Total" here, and the label on the outlet, other than that I don't know! How do you know you get 98 octane rather than 95 at the service station. Somewhere along the line there has to be an element of trust. I gather that everyone on our group opts for the premuim.

Ppp - I phoned our group organiser this morning and he plans to do our delivery in the next fortnight, (why is it fifteen days in France??). I'll post the prices when I get them, just for interest, but they do fluctuate considerably as you all know. Last year I thought our discount was in the order of 10% plus. I'll take more notice of the actual discount this time, I was happy that the bottom line was less than the advertised price at Intermarche and considerably less than the previous year when all the prices were astronomical.

Sid

How odd! If I say I'll see you in a fortnight I mean two weeks today, ie Friday 17th September, not the Saturday! Have I missed something in my maths here, because that's how it worked in UK,. If I meant 15 days I'd say two weeks tomorrow! I'm sure I'm just reiterating what many of us have said, so I don't propose to pursue the matter at the European Court or anything. [8-)]

Sid

If you go on holiday on a Saturday and come back on the "Saturday after next" then you've had fourteen nights (Fo'rt night). However, the holiday impacts the Saturday that you go and the one you come back, so you've had holiday for 15 days.

[quote user="JohnM"]If you go on holiday on a Saturday and come back on the "Saturday after next" then you've had fourteen nights (Fo'rt night). However, the holiday impacts the Saturday that you go and the one you come back, so you've had holiday for 15 days.[/quote]

No you haven't, you've had fourteen nights holiday and two days travel. I'm with Sid fourteen days in a fortnight, [:D]

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the cost: my oil (Total premium) was delivered this morning and cost 0,665 € per litre. That's the group price here, and there 22 households in our group so it's a significant delivery quantity in total. The driver said we get about 10 cents per litre reduction, quoting 0,77€ for non-group, which seems a lot and doesn't tie up with the prices shown on PPP's website (see earlier). Maybe it's just to make me feel better! I notice that the price trend is now upwards so you can expect to pay more for deliveries after today anyway.

That's us stocked for another year. [:)] (warm glow)

Sid

• 4 months later...
And as I've just happened on this thread recently by accident I'll add to my previous by stating that in Britain kerosene (and indeed red diesel like you use in France for boilers) is around the 70 - 75 p per litre level.

I'd be interested to know what you've been paying in France recently,   so that we can see if it really is a British Rip Off or not.

Office for Fair Trading has launched an enquiry,    and thefts of oil are hugely increased.   It's apparently now the case that thieves follow the tankers from the depot to see where they deliver and then return at a convenient time with pumping equipment.....

We're burning coal at the moment,   and with heating oil at 70 p per litre it's FAR cheaper to heat by electric,  even at day rates.