More freezing weather for UK?

Chancer

I could do with going back for a short while soon, my pied à terre is currently winterised and I am hoping that there are no burts pipes etc awaiting me, in any case its a real work up to put it back into service only to have to winterise it again a few days later.

What is the likelyhood that there could be another sustained cold spell in the next month or so like the one we recantly had here in France?

Have their been big freezes after March in past years? I recall snow but dont know about prolonged freezing weather.

thank you

Yes I do Bigmac, its just once I am confident that spring is here to stay I dont want to have to drain everything down aonce again for no reason, it involves removing part of the shower cabinet to access the drain cocks.

The water is always switched off but 2 years ago I had 2 days of plumbing repairs involving ripping out partitions etc as I do love to hide all pipes etc [:(]

Even now I dont know if the draining down is sufficient, I know I cannot drain all the pipes, luckily the exposed ones running under the floor (its a timber garden building) are plastic and did not let go when all the copper ones inside in insulated cloisons did.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/extremes/

Some grim stuff from NI two years ago, for sure.

I bet the rest of what you want is around there somewhere - fascinating site.

All the data from local weather stations is here, which will give you more than 30 years of data in most cases:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/stationdata/

Sorry to have re-edited so often.  I keep finding more stuff.

[quote user="Mr Ice-ni"]

"Other topics" is advertised as the "Non-France related" section - the other place of which you are thinking is perchance a little dark?

John

[/quote]

My apologies!

I did scroll through the myriad of sections and did not see that one.

Chancer

No apology necessary. I always try to stick to an old consultant's adage - if you want the right answer, you must ask the right question of the right person, at the right time and in the right place.

An old consultant

BTW where's this freezing weather. Here in Suffolk it is positively balmy (barmy?) - at least when compared to N Lot 

See:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/9099987/Britain-basks-at-18C-as-first-taste-of-Spring-melts-away-the-wintry-weather.html

I caught an item on TV yesterday in which UK temperatures in mid to high 20s were predicted for March. And, as we know, long term forecasts are always right.

[quote user="Mr Ice-ni"]

Chancer

No apology necessary. I always try to stick to an old consultant's adage - if you want the right answer, you must ask the right question of the right person, at the right time and in the right place.

An old consultant

BTW where's this freezing weather. Here in Suffolk it is positively balmy (barmy?) - at least when compared to N Lot 

[/quote]

It has been in the low 20s (22-24) in Montpellier since Wednesday...

[quote user="NormanH"]It has been in the low 20s (22-24) in Montpellier since Wednesday...[/quote]

If you feel any sharp stabbing pains today, don't worry, it's just us, who are stuck in rain and low cloud in the UK with no prospect of coming out for a few more weeks, sticking pins into an effigy of you (in a caring and philanthropic manner, of course).

(Enjoy the good weather!)

We have rain and sleet in NE England and about time. Truthfully, all rain is welcome, we have had so little.

And there was an article on french news last week about the drought in SW France, they too need rain, good old fashioned steady rain. An orge grower had planted and  a lot of it hadn't taken, the grains were just there in the soil.

No rain, we don't eat or eat less as prices get too high.

I like good rain.

Blue skies and sunny here in Finistère but gale force winds. Popped down on the beach earlier and weird foam was blowing onto the sand.Surfers were out in their droves too but its got pretty cold again. My daughter is visiting our family in Bucks/Oxon and said an hour ago that it was sleeting there.

Here in SE UK it's been bitterly cold today, with light snow, very heavy rain and heavy hailstones. We drove out for a pub lunch today and went through large areas wher the floods reached right across country roads. We really need plenty of rain, so it was good to see it.

I very much prefer that to the mostly dull grey skies we've been seeing over the last few days - although with some lovely sunshine brightening the place up one afternoon.

Bitterly cold in the south east? - Pah!!!

I came over today and its warmer than Northern France was I can tell you!!

Rained all the way though.

The good news is there were no burts pipes and the outside temp, around 7 degrees I guess, is high enough that te heating here has warmed the place up already, in the past it has taken a good few days but I do now have underfloor heating in addition to the panneau rayonnants.

So I am warm and toasty which is just as well as I kicked the day off with a scuba dive in a quarry near Arras, water temp 5 degrees, dive time 19 minutes which was 18 and a half too many [:-))] When we stripped off our wet suits, which you cannot do alone when you have no feeling in trembling hands, our bodies were black and blue.

Everything is coming nicely together, I am watching UK telly, the true story of the WW1 war horse and I have wi-fi Yippee[:-))] The Develo homeplugs do indeed work across an electricity meter, Pachapapa take note.