French Crime Statistics

idun

A very good friend of ours was in Paris for the rugby last weekend. He left the others in his group and whilst walking back to his hotel was knocked to the ground, injured and robbed. The police took him to hospital, but took no details, just dumped him there.

Our friend has no reference number for this. They don't even know whether the hospital will bill him. I called the hospital yesterday, and even on the phone I got the equivilent of gallic shrugs, so came off the phone not really any the wiser and had to tell our friend that they may or may not be getting a bill in a couple of weeks or longer and the hospital doesn't know.

He is OK, a little bruised and a few cuts that didn't need stitches. Some clothes ruined and a couple of hundred euros missing. Nothing life threatening though.

Surely this was a proper crime and the police should have  taken details. How can they do stats if they don't?

[quote user="idun"]

Surely this was a proper crime and the police should have  taken details. How can they do stats if they don't?

[/quote]

Their records will show no crime so their stats will look very good.

Contrast somewhat to when I was robbed in Havana Cuba - the police first took me to hospital to ensure that I was n ot injured and then to the police station - five hours in total during which time they had dragged someone in and asked if it was the person. I only ever saw the back of them so could not identify the person.

Paul

[quote user="idun"]

A very good friend of ours was in Paris for the rugby last weekend.[/quote]

A French friend or an English friend ? I ask only as I believe a French person would complain long and loud about being abandoned in the Hospital; perhaps an English visitor might not.

Sue

Dazed english man. Had no money on him after the robbery, when they had finished with him at the hospital and said he could go it was the middle of the night, so he stayed in the waiting room until it was light before he dare try and find his hotel. Said he'd never seen a scene like it, and he had been in the merchant navy and been all over the world.

I have to say I go to Paris for this match every (other) year and have been doing so for the last 10 years with my local French friends. I have never seen any violence, we all get on very well and the crowd on the day is excellent as is the ambience so I wouldn't want this very rare and possibly one off incident to put people coming over in the future. If it was the other game, the one with the round ball, played people who put bankers bonuses to shame and supported by hooligans I could understand but rugby, never. [;-)]

This was on a Friday evening. Our friend goes to many of the matches abroad and in the UK has done for as long as I can remember. Never ever a problem at the matches, loves the atmosphere. This was in the 9eme arrondissement near Place Pigalle, as I said, on his way back to his hotel.

[quote user="idun"]This was on a Friday evening. Our friend goes to many of the matches abroad and in the UK has done for as long as I can remember. Never ever a problem at the matches, loves the atmosphere. This was in the 9eme arrondissement near Place Pigalle, as I said, on his way back to his hotel.[/quote]

Can be a bit rough in the late evening.

http://ec.europa.eu/civiljustice/comp_crime_victim/comp_crime_victim_ec_en.htm

What an interesting link. Well he has no crime number, zilch and fading wounds now. How convienent that is. I'll not mention all that otherwise, I am going to end up getting onto the french police for them and I know that they just want their insurance to work.

The officer don't report crime. The victime would still have to go to a police/GD station to report the infraction, give a statement, fill out the injury form, property list, etc. (Hope you aren't Maghrebi, or black, otherwise the process probably involves a fews days of garde a vue[;-)])

Hence, why some recent TV documenties state that 80% of crime is NOT reported.

I recently posted a link to a programme in which it was clearly shown how many crimes are deliberately ignored so as to massage the statistics..

Election year for someone who claims to be tough on security?

Barbès has long been fairly hair-raising...

If this crime took place in Paris, then you can use the site

https://www.pre-plainte-en-ligne.gouv.fr/france/

At present it only works for depts 17, 31, 67, 75, 78, 92 but is supposed to be being rolled-out across the whole country during the 1st quarter 2012. I think you're supposed to follow-up with a visit to a police station, but I suspect that the process will give you a reference no all the same which may be acceptable to your friend's insurers. Alternatively, either write to the procureur de la République for the region or possibly visit the French embassy in London. Or go back to Paris and report the crime at a police station!