Celebrating the Diamond Jubilee

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Rose"][quote user="just john "]Gosh! Kitty & Rose posting! Almost like old times ;-)[/quote]

ahhh - have you missed us [:D]

(p.s. thanks Britgirl)
[/quote]

Certainly have, stuck in the UK trying to finish an over-running project, all work and not much play, can't wait to get to a few musical soiree's en France  in or out of a street party!

[quote user="Kitty"]How are people celebrating the Diamond Jubilee in France?  Are there any street parties, for example?[/quote]

http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2012/05/29/1364293-la-fete-pour-elizabeth.html

(translation for those whose French isn't up to it... yet [Www])

Clarification: The 'umbrella' mentioned in the Google translation should be read as 'hat'... [8-)]

French people at AVF gatherings and on the walks have been talking about the Jubilee for a while, and in our French class last week, made up of mainly Dutch and Belgians (we are the only English people in the class) they discussed it at length for quite a time, and were very knowledgeable about both the Coronation and the Jubilee. This wasn't a set part of the class introduced by the teacher, but brought up out of interest by the group members.

We've just returned from a small 'do' we put on for those learning English in a class with AVF. We had bunting and balloons, and served egg and salmon sandwiches (not together!) and jelly and custard, plus jammy dodgers and chocolate teacakes, all washed down with a cup of loose leaf tea. It was all done in English, apart from one or two translations for things like 'make do and mend' and 'bread and scrape', when the 3 of us talked about the 50s and told what we did on Coronation day. We then served champagne, brought by the class, and toasted the Queen.

It was greatly enjoyed by the group, their American class teacher and the 3 of us who did it all. Everyone said they already knew what they would be watching on TV on Sunday afternoon, and at what time, and were looking forward to seeing the flotilla on the Thames.

I'm not aware of any British groups as such having a celebration in our area, although I know several people who have invited French neighbours in for lunch or tea at the weekend. A small group of us will be having a celebration lunch on Saturday, with people bringing part of the meal and drinks along. Almost everything will be British - apart from the champagne!  [:)]

[quote user="NormanH"]Looks as if there is an Englishman in his Castle ensuring that "some corner of a foreign field will be forever England"[:D]
[/quote]

Why is it that when an Irishman, Scotsman  a Welshman or any other race is proud of their heritage and celebrates great occasions, they get applauded for being patriotic. But god forbid an Englishman should attempt to be the same and low and behold the sarcastic comments come in especially from embittered  ex- pats.  Go to America or Australia and there are more Italian/Jewish/Black/Muslims/Russians etc. than you can wave a stick at, all are proud of their home country and are not afraid to show it. I spend  a huge amount of my time in France and it's very different from my life in the UK. But  I enjoy both countries for what they offer, so why should I not celebrate the Queens Jubilee just because at this period of time I'm in France? To those who don't want to celebrate I couldn't care less, it's your choice, but don't try and make me feel inferior or guilty.[:P]

However, here in the UK if not in France, you'll see people whose heritage lies squarely in that very colonial past who will be at the front of the crowd, cheering the Queen. If they've got over it, then I guess it's time we all did.[:D] A survey carried out by Demos, published and quite widely reported in the press at the back end of last year, found that while 79% of Britons agreed they were ‘proud to be a British citizen’, that rose to 83% for Muslims. In fairness, the same report argued that "patriotism" wasn't necessarily demonstrated by a love of the Queen etc., but that, in general, those who felt strongly patriotic were far more likely to contribute to their communities by volunteering, for example, and to have a greater pride in their community.

Didn't the Scots colonise bits of Canada? Didn't the Welsh colonise bits of Patagonia? More importantly, as RH has alluded to it, don't the French have a fairly colourful record with colonialism?

I would not have known about the jubilee if some French hadnt asked me if there wasnt something royal happening soon and were we going to have a national fête, I told them that I thought they must be mistaken [8-)]

When is it happening anyway?

If its a Saturday or Sunday i might close the street off anyway not that anyone would notice, the cassoces in the flats regularly do so if its warm when they have discreet (not!) apero's.

Here its not sufficient to just enjoy yourself without intruding on others, its obligatoire to make as much noise and spectacle as possible to show the maximum of people that you are having a far better time than they are.

Our street party (in the Uk) is Sunday and includes face painting, bouncy castle, Irish dancing and 'Our streets got talent' (heaven help us!) ......and something called 'Fred in the Shed' ???. We've all paid for insurance and if we want to participate its 'bring your own' (including table!)

That sounds very much like ours, Russethouse. The village street will be closed and people who normally park on it are asked to put their cars on the school playground.

The whole village, all 350 of us, have been asked to pray for dry weather.

Hoddy

Well good for them. At least they can celebrate  their liberation from tyranny.

As my French friends never tire of pointing out British people are 'subjects', whereas French people are 'citizens' since the revolution

I think that such a change  would be worth celebrating if ever it came to pass in the UK.

No doubt you have discussed the matter with body language and mutual grunts during your holidays?

The head mistress at my sons' junior school used to tell me regularly that the revolution en Angleterre had been a hundred years too soon and that we were fools to have had the king back.

However, what were those napoleonic emperors about then? Republican emperors, perhaps? Very odd indeed.

[quote user="NormanH"]Well good for them. At least they can celebrate  their liberation from tyranny.
As my French friends never tire of pointing out British people are 'subjects', whereas French people are 'citizens' since the revolution
I think that such a change  would be worth celebrating if ever it came to pass in the UK.

No doubt you have discussed the matter with body language and mutual grunts during your holidays?
[/quote]My British Passport (issued 2010) clearly defines my status as "British Citizen" so I think your french friends are a little out of date.[:D]

[quote user="NormanH"]Well good for them. At least they can celebrate  their liberation from tyranny.

[/quote]

Keep it up Norman as you usually do when your losing the plot, always fall back on insults and nonsense. Give it up mate your anti UK tirade is a lost cause.   [:D]

There was a very fair portrait of the Queen's reign on France 2 last night:

http://www.pluzz.fr/secrets-d-histoire-.html

There were a few juicy titbits about the Duke of Edinburgh's parents and sisters, but nothing too scabrous.

However I detected a hint of wicked irony in the juxtaposition of that portrait of the Queen, and the programme which followed

"But who killed Maggie" a fine account of how she was responsible for her own downfall:

http://www.pluzz.fr/mais-qui-a-tue-maggie---2012-05-29-22h40.html

As I said putting the two together gave a  'double edged' compliment [:D]