Celebrating the Diamond Jubilee

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an invite from an english couple I have met twice to attend a party for this event.When I asked who the other guests were to be she replied it was all english and from all over the area. Sorry, but  that made me not want to go and stand and listen to people I have nothing in common with,would not associate with ordinarily and listen to them all playing oneupmanship over each other by comparing their homes,cars and financial situations - been there and done that before. This is France, if people want to celebrate then do it privately and not rub the locals' noses into something they have no interest in either.

Rant over, but I am no Royalist and chose to live here without bringing the UK with me!

A local British-owned B&B is holding a street party day, our ladies group (Leggies - www.47leggies.com) will be holding a Jubilee tea, plus there's other stuff going on around here of which I am aware. Our French neighbours seem quite interested in it all.

[quote user="Val_2"]

I had an invite from an english couple I have met twice to attend a party for this event.When I asked who the other guests were to be she replied it was all english and from all over the area. Sorry, but  that made me not want to go and stand and listen to people I have nothing in common with,would not associate with ordinarily and listen to them all playing oneupmanship over each other by comparing their homes,cars and financial situations - been there and done that before. This is France, if people want to celebrate then do it privately and not rub the locals' noses into something they have no interest in either.

Rant over, but I am no Royalist and chose to live here without bringing the UK with me!

[/quote]

I absolutely could not agree more with you.

I heard it mentioned in the bar after rugby last Sunday by some English that they want to speak to Mayor to get permission for a street party, I was dumb struck, what a cheek.

If people want to have a garden party no problem but to try and organise a public event is something quite different. If you want to go to a street party then go back to the UK for the day.

PS. The only thing where I do differ is I am a bit of a royalist but I respect those that are not.

IF I had decided to have a bash in France, then I would have invited many french friends, who would have come and enjoyed it.  And my best friend loves the Queen, so she would have been happy to come.

But, I have never considered having a bash for anything like this and probably never would....... I didn't watch the royal wedding either.

[quote user="Val_2"]

[/quote]

Oh lighten up... how do you know you won't like anybody or meet new arrivals in the area you get on with ? As its a Jubilee party no doubt there will be talk about things that have happened in QE2's reign and you were in the UK  for quite a bit of that. Surely you can avoid the bores, or change the subject?

They are doing it privately aren't they ? No mention of a street party (which seems a bit naf in France) in this instance?

Whether you or anyone else likes it, the Queen is well thought of throughout much of the world, even my American friend in Texas is having a little Jubilee tea party......its a bit of fun......

My OH is a real anti Monachist so will be keeping himself to himself that day, but like thousands of other streets in the UK we're having a street party - after all there wont be another Jubilee for a very long time (unless Liz goes on another 10 years !)

I'm afraid that as you do not live here full time you have no real idea how some of the english act over here I can tell you. I have had them on my doorstep pouring out their marital problems, wanting me to help them with the language, get jobs,go and sort out their URSSAF,Trésor Public problems and anything else you can think of and ask for financial help and half the time  only because they found my name in the local phone book.That put me off mixing with people for a very long time as we were used for our good nature. These people who invited me, hardly know me and have only been here five minutes along with some of the others and to be honest, the good english friends I have and have had for many many years would never dream of holding any sort of celebration or going either when I asked them what I should do!

Each to their own and as Quillan points out, if you are not interested in any of it, what does it matter as keeping inwith the locals is far far more important any day.

Ok, you've had some bad experiences, but it seems a shame to cut yourself from getting to know new English  people because of peoples actions in the past. As you say the people who have asked you are new, why not give them a chance ? It's a few hours supposed fun.....you need never see them again, or you may find you really get on with them or others among their guests......

So often it seems you write in an English = bad, French = good way, that's such a generalisation......lets face it, the French are pretty patriotic, those I know wouldn't take it amiss if English people celebrated their own country on one day.....

At the moment there doesn't seem to be a great deal to celebrate throughout Europe, the Jubilee is just a light hearted way to forget all that for a few hours and have a bit of fun.....

Hang on RH why should you have to try and get on with new English people, just because they are English? I choose my friends regardless of their nationality (sex, colour or religion) but there are for many of us who have lived here a while people who seem to want to be your friend for no other reason that your a fellow Brit. To be honest, and having learnt the hard way, the true reason they don't mix with the French is because they can't speak the language.

When I see English groups like the one who's website is mentioned in this thread I notice it's for all nationalities (as it says on the home page) yet when you look at the members they appear to be predominantly Brits. How many times do you hear or read people in the UK saying that Muslims, Asians, Chinese etc all stick to their own, don't integrate, don't speak the language, don't mix etc, etc. In my mind there is no difference between them doing that in the UK to Brits having these clubs etc in France. Even more hypocritical in my own personal experience of listing in to some of the conversations of one such group is that they say they left the UK because of immigrants and the things about them that I have just mentioned, touch of the pot calling the kettle black as it were. By all means join such a club if you wish but leave me out of it and to my own devices and don't make me feel obliged to talk to 'you' (as a general term not personal) because 'you' and I come fro the same country and speak the same language

Not all Brits are bad either, I have a few English friends (mainly through my love of rugby) that are great fun, I also have many French friends who are great fun to be with. Likewise there are bad Brits and there are bad French, both of whom I don't mix with.

I don't think you should try to get on with new people because they are Brits, but neither do I believe you should close your mind to making new friends or acquaintances based on nationality, just because people are British doesn't mean they are ALL going to bore on about property etc.....

The friend I most often stay with in France is an American, she has a British friend locally who I have met on several occasions, neither of us has ever discussed  anything that Val mentions

( Last time I was there I arrived on May 8th, this ladies husband (ex forces) discovered that in WW2  two RAF planes had crashed in a nearby commune and the pilots were buried in the local cemetery. As well as tending the graves he also made models of the planes and presented them to the powers that be, last year. This year they presented him with a medal of some sort......we talked about that, its such a huge generalisation to say that Brits just want to talk about property, etc....they are people with many interests just like French people and it seems somewhat blinkered to  dismiss other Brits with these huge assumptions)

Norman, As for the French and their attitude to the monarchy, I don't think they really care one way or the other apart from their celebrity status...of course you probably mix with a more cerebral crowd [;-)]

[quote user="NormanH"]I think that it is significant that those who are rather against the idea are full-time residents, with a grasp of the language and how French people think about monarchy.[/quote]

Regarding how French people regard the Monarchy:- I remember back in 2004, on the 60th anniversary of D Day, we were camping in the local Villedieu site and during the TV broadcast by HM you couldn't get near the TV for .......French people !. They seem to have far more regard for the Queen of England than a lot of Brits do.

In respect of having Brit friends ( or not ), I personally treat all Nationalities as equals, there are a lot of Brits that I do not wish to be associated with, the same applies to all other Nationalities. On the other hand, I would not 'not be friendly' to people just because they are British, either holiday makers, holiday home owners or immigrants, after all, we are holiday home owners just like some of those are.

We had a party for 40 today, at the petanque club, we supplied Brit food, and drinks. Made lots, and substituted where appropriate. The missis wanted to have a party. 4 hours later, the revellers staggered home.

I was the only Brit, mostly Magrebis.

'cuse the typing.....................mildly inebriated.

I have the Queen for a neighbour. And whoever said it, you're right, she doesn't invite us round for her regular bashes. Au contraire, we're often under virtual house arrest, as was the case last weekend when the military tribute shut off much of the area to road traffic.

That said, coupled with the fact that I'm absolutely not a fan of the Royal Family, I'm heading for France next Sunday.

THAT said, I don't really see what being a full-time or part-time resident of France has to do with anything. The inverted snobbery so often demonstrated by those who seem to believe that permanent residence confers superior knowledge of EVERYTHING is so unnecessary. If you want to hide in a cave and ignore the whole thing, go right ahead, it's your absolute prerogative. Making out that people who feel differently are somehow inferior, stupid or intellectually lacking seems to me to say more about you than it does them.

Taking some degree of pride in the cultural heritage of one's country of birth is something that the British in general have been conditioned to believe is inherently wrong, in contrast to the majority of other countries. There's always the option drilled into me from an early age, which was "If you can't find something good to say, don't say anything at all" (part of the reason I'm shipping out), but I presume that any opportunity to demonstrate some form of superiority over the newly-arrived, the not-permanently-resident, or simply the people with a different view is too good to pass up.

My American friends and acquaintances here in the UK invariably celebrate Thanksgiving, Independence Day and a raft of other specifically American celebrations. The French of my acquaintance organise parties and get-togethers for July 14th.....but I suppose someone will have 1001 reasons to point out why that's different?

Quite by chance I shall be in UK for Diamond Jubilee,  but have been invited to a party in France comprised of British and French.  It will be in the countryside and will be a get together with emphasis on children's games and good old-fashioned fun.

I see no harm in this.  In fact I am always being quizzed by French people about William and Kate in the nicest way.  Their wedding was watched by many French people.

I agree that just because someone is British it does not mean you are going to be anything more than acquaintances but the same must surely apply to the French, some we like, some like us.

As someone said there is enough doom and gloom at the moment and a bit of harmless jollity might lift the spirits.

Hope good weather continues, enjoy.

WendyG

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]
My American friends and acquaintances here in the UK invariably celebrate Thanksgiving, Independence Day and a raft of other specifically American celebrations. The French of my acquaintance organise parties and get-togethers for July 14th.....but I suppose someone will have 1001 reasons to point out why that's different?
[/quote]

Do your American friends (and your French acquaintance) attempt to take over streets and have street parties for these American celebrations or do they simply have a party at their house and invite people/friends, I rather suspect it's the latter.

Those that have been resident in France for many years do have a greater knowledge than holiday home owners, they are bound to because they live here. Its the same for many who have lived here for many years and have gone back to the UK, they also will have a greater knowledge. Nothing snobbish in that it's just a fact. I doubt however that even collectively they know everything. We are actually very lucky to have a few in our forum because it's nice to know, as a resident, that there are people who have been here longer and have probably come across your problem and know the answer.

Well, Quillan, I am sure that when it comes to knowing where to get your fosse seen to, how to sort out your taxes and all the blablabla of living in France, then the full-timers will be winners in a P***ing contest, hands down.

Some of us who are second home owners, however, have a long history with France. Some even have a fairly comprehensive command of the language and culture. A few may have had and may still maintain friendships with French people that started long before it became the new black. The snobbery I refer to has nothing to do with the day-to-day, as I am sure you well understood. I do not think that years of permanent residence qualify anyone to set themselves up as a spokesperson for "The French". With a few notable exceptions, the one thing living there permanently does NOT make you, it's French. A "grasp of the language", as mentioned by Norman, and "permanent residency" are not mutually exclusive.

And the OP said "are there any street parties, for example" to which one poster has replied in the affirmative. It was not, as I read it, an exhortation to block of streets across France willy-nilly. My assumption would be that it's potentially more likely in some areas of France to find a street wholly populated by Brits than it is in any corner of the UK to find whole streets populated exclusively by any single nationality, so no, I don't believe there's been an attempt to take over whole streets by any other nationality in the UK. The Americans, for example, take over an entire church for Thanksgiving. It happens that the church in question is St Paul's Cathedral....

I have just read back through the thread and I can't see anyone even suggesting they are a spokesman (or woman) for the French and as anyone who has lived here a while will understand much better than even you possibly that we will never, ever, as long as our bottom points downwards be French. I certainly don't understand your comments about the snobbery you refer to. What I do see from what we are talking about in the context of the thread is that we English don't have the right to force our culture on people of a country in which we live. One only has to look at the last presidential election and the different manifesto's along with who voted for what to see how the French view immigrants. If you want to do it in your own home and ask your friends round then fair enough but street parties is a different matter.

My goodness what a lot of vitriol this subject seems to have generated.The poor OP has not returned and I am not surprised give some of the comments on this post. There seems to be a lot of focus on street parties -of which there are only 2 mention in 22 posts of anyone attempting to organise one (posts 5 &6).I love 'You can call me Betty's post'' I do not think that years of permanent residence qualify anyone to set themselves up as a spokesperson for "The French". With a few notable exceptions, the one thing living there permanently does NOT make you, it's French.''. I have a neighbour- who has lived and worked in France for 15 years-who has a phrase ''born again French'' when discussing some English people who live in France.To paraphrase George Orwell-French good-English bad-seems to be their motto.

In answer to Kitty, (good to see you posting 'Kitty') as far as I know the local community in France has nothing arranged, even the locally english run restaurant; come to that nothing going on in deepest dorset either, and it's a really friendly street, lots of neighbours on more than a nodding acquintance, the local talk focussing on whether to be an unpaid(!) volunteer steward for the local olympic venue or to escape while it's on (mine's the latter).

[quote user="Mac"]My goodness what a lot of vitriol this subject seems to have generated.The poor OP has not returned and I am not surprised give some of the comments on this post. There seems to be a lot of focus on street parties -of which there are only 2 mention in 22 posts of anyone attempting to organise one (posts 5 &6).I love 'You can call me Betty's post'' I do not think that years of permanent residence qualify anyone to set themselves up as a spokesperson for "The French". With a few notable exceptions, the one thing living there permanently does NOT make you, it's French.''. I have a neighbour- who has lived and worked in France for 15 years-who has a phrase ''born again French'' when discussing some English people who live in France.To paraphrase George Orwell-French good-English bad-seems to be their motto.[/quote]

I have to concur with Mac though, whatever else the full timers (or any english spending time in France) think they are, they remain one of the minority english groups and will never be 'French'. I do find it obnoxiously paradoxical that such people use an english forum set up to assist understanding of the requirements of living in France, to vent their bigotry.

I have to say that I don't quite understand the last bit of your post Just John. Well the bigotry bit.

Please explain.

I do not mind any of the other arguments I have heard. In fact some have left me smiling.