Heatwave

Yes your right. The first spring we could not eat outside so much at night because the temperature dropped, like flicking a switch, and it was just too cold. Now we have learnt to use it to our advantage and the river is the biggest asset in this weather. Between my previous and this post we (the dogs and I) have been down for a swim (for them) and a paddle (for me) so they are now nice a cool which is s important for them this time of year.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe that less than 24 hours ago I wrote that we had temps of 22 deg as today everything changed hugely. It has been very hot and humid all day, nudging 30 deg this afternoon, and no respite to be found anywhere. Apparently it is going to be hot again tomorrow but with the humidity reducing perhaps it won't feel so oppressive and heavy.

Definitely a 2 shower day today.

Sue

I got into the car today at 4pm (to go shopping - necessity - no bread!) - and the gear lever was too hot to handle.  Car in sun all morning etc  ...  I think it was probably 36-38 even when I got back at 6pm.  Gone sticky and more humid today, but a wind has sprung up which is fine outside, but doesn't help inside.  I have threatened to buy some mobile air cons (though I have always resisted them until now) but I can't cope with the sweat running into my eyes all the time!

Our thermometer (outside in the shade) recorded our hottest temp so far this year - 35.7 degrees.

Still very warm indeed now - approx 28 degrees.

I've got the bedroom window wide open in the hope it will cool down some more.

I wa stuck in an un-air-conditioned office all day :-(

Lou

I just had a look ate the Meteo and they expect lots of rain and thunder storms the weekend down here. Mind you they say it's raining now as I type but apart from a few clouds not a drop so I am off to water my veg.

Despite a swim in the river and a show after one of our dogs had a bad night (which in turn means we did also). He was panting, quite hot and a bit stressed. Finally got back to sleep at about 03:00 after putting the a/c on for a couple of  hours. My French friends think us English are funny, it's either too hot, too cold, too much rain or not enough.

We took in a wood delivery the day before yesterday and there is a huge pile of 1m-long oak logs at the top of the garden.

Yesterday morning, I started stacking them but I only managed two hours in the morning and had to give up when it got to 35°C in the shade...

I was looking forward to the thunderstorms Météo France was showing on the map, but nothing yet...

We also shut everything down each morning when temperatures balance - this was at 26.4 today. The thermometer is now showing 29.3 outside in the shade, inside 27. It means becoming troglodytes for the rest of the day unless we venture out to town and seek shady arcades etc. We are in full sun all day until about 18.00, which is great in winter, which is what we bought here for. We never envisaged loving being here so much that it would turn into 6 months altogether! I'm starting to wonder if I'll make it to 14th July for the Tour de France, as we're planning; maybe I'll end up retreating north.

We went out to supper with friends last night, and it was lovely walking into a cool house and out into a cool, shady garden. When we got home at about 23.00 the temperature in our bedroom was 28 - not pleasant!

A little cooler today by about three deg.

Silly I know but one of my pet hates when it is like this is butter. Either too hard being in the fridge or runny liquid if you leave it out. Not too clever for making sandwiches which ever way. Still there is Inspector Morse on at the moment, the one about Freemasons, quite good as well, that should keep one or two ex members occupied for a while. What with the heat and them going red in the face they might go bang, you never know your luck. [:D]

Garden Girl, I can strongly recommend air conditioning your bedroom and salon, as not only useful for cooling but an economic way to heat in winterl, if using a modern reverse cycle air con unit.

In the south Var sleeping with the windows open in summer is not an option unless you want to be eaten alive by mozzies and with the increase in serious disease carrying Tiger mozzies in the south of France, air con or a mosquito net is now a necessity in my opinion!

Just got back from a quick visit to Normandy where Mrs Rabbie was vetting a horse.  Tuesday am we had steady drizzle and temps about 17-18 as we drove down  from Caen to near Evreux. The weather improved steadily in the afternoon and we had some sun about 5:30 in Deauville. Temp up to about 21. Wednesday morning was cloudy with temp only about 17-18. The sun almost broke through at lunchtime but was behind cloud when we left on the boat at 3:30.

Today in Wiltshire its 28 now in the sun after a cloudy humid morning.

[quote user="Sprogster"]

Garden Girl, I can strongly recommend air conditioning your bedroom and salon, as not only useful for cooling but an economic way to heat in winterl, if using a modern reverse cycle air con unit.

In the south Var sleeping with the windows open in summer is not an option unless you want to be eaten alive by mozzies and with the increase in serious disease carrying Tiger mozzies in the south of France, air con or a mosquito net is now a necessity in my opinion!

[/quote]

Thanks Sprogster, nice to hear that reversible A/C will be economical for heating in winter. We installed 1 unit in the bedroom recently, so I seem to spend even  more time in there. Research told us it would be economical in winter, rather than the quite expensive electric fires that came with the apartment, so it's good to have this confirmed. Being able to use a timer will also be very useful.

We've just got in from lunch and switched the A/C on, leaving doors open so it will spread through, although I do feel guilty putting it on during the day. It's the nights that are the killers though. We didn't like opening the window overnight as the nearby road can be noisy, particularly in the early mornings, and put an ultrasonic mozzie plug-in in the bedroom as well, as they love me!

It does seem cooler today; 30.5 on the balcony and 27.4 inside, and should come down a bit now we've switched the A/C on.

This thread seems to have dropped way down, despite a posting yesterday.

Just popped on to say how pleasant it was yesterday, when the temperature didn't get above 30.5 plus there was occasionally a light breeze. It's just after 08.00 and it's 22.3 outside (25.5 inside with all doors and windows open) so I'm hoping it won't shoot up too high in the 30s today.

This map from Méteo France explains things a bit.

It shows areas in pink or red where the average temperature in June has been above normal and in light or darker blue where it has been colder

There is a clear division of France into two:

http://france.meteofrance.com/content/2012/5/26904-43.png

Commentary here:

http://france.meteofrance.com/france/actu/archives/2012/2012?page_id=15250&document_id=26900&portlet_id=83190

Here in Burgundy we've enjoyed temperatures of around 30 for the last few days. I say enjoyed because it has been a rotten summer so far with warm sunny days few and far between, therefore no complaints from me.

Some spectacular thunderstorms a couple of nights ago. The sky lit up about every second with all kinds of lightning, we were only on the fringes of that but 5 miles down the road they had hailstones that caused roof damage.

Rain forecast for tomorrow and a drop in temp to around 21 degrees.

Interesting info on map, Norman.

Meteo France forecasting around 32 today, but with some cloud later. Then a forecast for rain/storms tomorrow and rain on Monday, with temps down to 25/26, then continuing sunny all next week but with temps around 27/28 - sounds blissful! [:D]

We have RAIN! Not the storms predicted, but steady rain, which will be great for the garden. We sat out on our covered balcony for lunch and felt very comfortable for the first time in about 3 weeks, with the temperature at 23 degrees. We're still in t-shirts and shorts, but it's no trouble to move about a bit more quickly today. It will be back up again in a day or so, but I'm really making the most of today's blip in the heatwave!  [:D]