Heatwave

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34.6 on the terrace, dogs are flagging a bit so it's down to the river for a swim for them. Fortunatly the house is well insulated so the temp inside is between 22 and 24. Supposed to be a bit warmer tomorrow with thunder storms the day after, I wonder if we will get to the 40's like a few years back?

[quote user="Quillan"]34.6 on the terrace, dogs are flagging a bit so it's down to the river for a swim for them. Fortunatly the house is well insulated so the temp inside is between 22 and 24. Supposed to be a bit warmer tomorrow with thunder storms the day after, I wonder if we will get to the 40's like a few years back?[/quote]

If it does get to the 40's again.... Lets hope this time people dont go an holiday leaving granny alone to become a victim like  they did last time .

We have the heatwave here too - we just adjust the routine to the top temperatures in the pms.

What is helping is that for the first time since we came to this part of the Gers the neighbouring farmer has planted maize. He started up his water cannons today and has kindly watered our veg. patch and refreshed the chicken run [:D]

Well I put the radiator on last night after considering lighting the stove. Today its warmer but it won't last if the forecast is correct and tourists are very thin on the ground for the time of year up here when the beach camp site is normally starting to fill up with people arriving for a couple of months stay if they have no kids.

Heatwave - what heatwave ?????   we put the fire on last night and I sat in my fleece - it rained during the night  and was very overcast this morning . 

However today its been the warmest it has been for weeks - I actually went for a walk in the sea - very warm - a couple of days ago -too cold -walked on promanade with fleece on .    So fingers crossed the heatwave is on its way to us .

Had to water the plants just now for the first time for ages .

Reporting in  ... yes hot here too, but  no idea what the actual temperature is - but it's still warm outside ....and the house is certainly not cooling down ... I shall have trouble sleeping again no doubt ...  what is most noticeable is that the sky is a perfect blue, we've not seen that for some time, having had heavy and sticky alternating with wet and cool.  This time last week, for example, it rained - heavily.  This week, I was rather too hot on my walk to my weekly Rotary meeting ...  meteo says 33 (ish) but no idea if it was really that.  Yesterday was perfect, clear sky but with a warmish breeze, strong enough to keep the air feeling ok, even if hot, but which dried 3 loads of washing à la merveille in a morning! 

We have had a delightfully warm afternoon - hurrah - here in southern Brittany; the temp rose to 22 deg and it was lovely after so many days of cloud and showers. This morning was a tad overcast but brightened gradually until the sun shone at midday.

Heatwave ? No not quite, but beginning to look as though we might experience the beginning of summer after all.

Sue

Definitely hot down here; 33 yesterday and today and beautiful clear blue skies! Having installed aircon a few weeks ago, we wondered what we'd done, as night-time temperatures dropped from the next night onwards - it had previously been 24+ in our bedroom overnight. But it got hot again, and everything is now done at the slowest of speeds. Our aircon is wonderful! Group walks are now at 08.00 instead of 14.00 as normal in summer, although the first couple at 08.00 had us all asking why, as it was chilly!

I spent yesterday down on the Cote Bleu, near Marseille. We set off by 07.00 and the group split up into various subgroups, with ours walking along the coast from Carry le Rouet to Sausset les Pins, then on by train to La Couronne for lunch by the beach. It's a beautiful coastline, with lovely sandy beaches and pretty little coves. It was extremely hot and also very windy, with hats being blown off all the way round. It was a pleasant day, but I felt roasted, despite lavish use of sun cream, a hat and drinking lots of water (and just a little wine!)

It's apparently set to continue at over 30, apart from Sunday and Monday, when we're expecting 28 and storms - but that could well change.

Bon courage for all those feeling the heat.

PS my avatar seems perfect for now!

As I type it seems to have peaked at 37.8 on my terrace (in the shade). Inside temp is steady at 25.7 which may sound hot but if you go outside for 15 minutes and come back it feels quite cool. If the inside gets hotter tomorrow I may consider using the a/c.

Just so that Norman doesn't feel too lonely in Hot Hérault - I confirm the heatwave in the hills too! 34 in the shade under a tree in the garden. I even bought another fan for my bedroom, a "colonne" one - always hoping to find the most silent fan ever created! Still, it's OK to have it switched on to lowest setting with earplugs, and this one provides a very gentle breeze, it prevents those feelings of suffocation at night. I do find it hard to sleep in a room where the temperature is higher than 25.

I really don't know how I would manage without the clim in the living room downstairs. just the one room with it.

And on a day like today,  I suffer from pool envy. [:'(] The Med is about 40 very hot-busy-road minutes away. Luckily, I will go to our public swimming pool later today, see if I can enrol for their aquagym classes!! The pool is only open during school holidays - but in June, also 2 afternoons during the week (Wed and Sat).

It's very hot here today on the Vendee coast, after very mixed Spring weather (although after talking to people in the UK, it hasn't actually been that bad here!)

I would have gone to the beach, but the house is up for sale and I don't want to miss any buyers.

Pommier

We are quite lucky because the river Aude runs down two sides of the garden and ts temp is 8 deg all year. As the sun gets lower the temperature drops a lot, down to 16/17 deg at night. We open all the windows so the house has a nice breeze and is cooled down for the next day. In the morning, as soon as the outside and inside temperature is balanced, we close everything and trap the cool air inside. For most of the time it works quite well

You have the advantage of a bit more altitude. What can be so wearing on the plain is the heat at night.

Tonight it will only be around 24° according to méteo France, but when I first posted  it was nearly up to 28° which means you never really cool off. I have known it to be 32° at midnight [+o(]

I think that we have been having the Sirocco passing just to the south and coming inland for brief periods.

On the 21 June for example we had that typical brief thundery shower with red Sahara sand in it which threatened the Fête de la Musique, but all cleared in time just leaving the cars streaked with sand..

As I have no climatisation I use the same technique as you, and have to try to insist against instinct that visitors close the doors and keep the windows closed when it is so hot.