Finally sold

but what an anti climax. Selling a house in France from 3500 miles away has probably been one of the hardest things I've ever done. To make matters worse, my ex, who was still a joint owner, lives in Australia, so the time taken to get things done was extended.

But last Thursday, the house finally completed, but I had to call the notaires to find out if it had actually gone through. I received no email, had no idea where the money was going, and it wasn't until over 24 hours later I actually had any written confirmation. After all my efforts and stress, I didn't even have the satisfaction of proper closure.

But, it's finally over, all that remains is to bring the money I got from the sale (half what I paid for and put into the house), over to the States, so I can pay for my wedding next month (and my college too). Life goes on, and sometimes great sacrifices and losses have to be paid to carry on. I'm just trying to come to terms with that now, as I do feel bitter (and I don't want to feel this way). Oh yes, the house settled the same day that the euro was at its weakest against the USD in over two years. Shit timing.

My current signature by Gertrude Stein certainly means a lot to me right now, and I just have to get my head around the losses and move forward.

If you hadn't bought the house in France, you more than likely wouldn't be where you are now - and anyhow, there's no point feeling bitter because some of the experience must have been fun (and even if it wasn't, any time in the future when things are going badly you can think "Ah yes, but it's not as bad as France!")

I don't think in my life time I have seen a great leader. The french ones always appear to be like politicians every where else to me.... self serving and full of hot air. Their self serving a la francaise, bien sur!

The thing about France is that the state Napolean started is a bit stuck. Some things he brought in,  and I suppose like communism, should have worked superbly well, but they haven't as human beings with their own agendas have to interpret the rules and laws.

So how does Australia compare to France and the USA then?

@ idun I think France is by far the best place to retire to. If you don't need to work, and have money, I can think of no better place.

Australia and the US both seem more positive places to live in. There's more opportunity to make something of yourself in either of these countries, and they encourage entrepreneurship, whereas France seems to oppose it.

Australia seems to have many good things about both countries mixed in from my perspective eg a decent healthcare system, and taxation is fairer I think.

Of course all three nations believe they are the best in the world, when of course in truth, that concept doesn't exist in reality.

Well, that's just my take on it. But of course, all three have politicians that cannot be trusted, but that's normal.

@ renaud thank you, am looking forward to it.

[quote user="Mr Ceour de Lion II"]  entrepreneurship,  [/quote]

We've been here before[:D]

"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." -George W. Bush, discussing the decline of the French economy with British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Lol Richard Lionheart...... and I retired to England and am very happy with that choice. I never wanted to stay in France for retirement, that never changed for me. I could ofcourse go back tomorrow and just fit right in, because I know France so well, but I doubt I'll be doing that.

We too bought a house over the internet. It is very interesting when you get the keys and walk in when you've never really seen it before...... in our case a pleasant surprise........ but I had to admit that I was bracing myself for disappointment before I went in.

We knew ours would need work, it was one reason we went for it, but it was the views out back that really sold it to us. It was a great feeling seeing what we'd bought. It was never an expensive purchase even back then.

It's a great little house, and I would have held onto it for longer had finances not dictated, and renting so unfair on landlords there. But it was becoming a major headache to look after from so far away.

congratulations on your sale and good luck in NJ, which has some of the highest taxes in the US according to my pen-friend who lives in a little town near Patterson!

but, as for

Australia seems to have many good things about both countries mixed in

from my perspective eg a decent healthcare system, and taxation is

fairer I think.

We lived 5.5 years there, and 5.5 years here in France....... we know where we would rather be!!!!!

No further comments, except to say, we detested the Antipodes [just our personal experience]