C'mon Wiggy, or should I say - 'Le Gentleman'!

From an article I read in last Sunday's Times Bradley Wiggins is well known and liked by the French cycling public as he has ridden for three French teams. He speaks French and gives interviews to the French sports press whenever asked.

If you really want to know what the French cycling public has thought about Wiggins in particular, and Sky in general, just read l'Equipe of the last few weeks, and listen to Laurent Jalabert. Some of the French commentators, (including Jaja) until very recently openly disliked and distrusted him. It's 9nly since they discovered that he is a cool dude and collects guitars, AND behaves in a really gentlemanly fashion, that they are now taking a shine to him - the image he projects now  is  much more consistent with the idea the French have of what is typically anglais. (London chic is what they say about him - too funny [:D])

I reckon he should play to his audience and ride the Champs Elysées with a bowler hat on, when they get to Paris on Sunday. Perhaps with an umbrella tied to his bike too.[:P]

[quote user="5-element"]

and Sky

I reckon he should play to his audience and ride the Champs Elysées with a bowler hat on, when they get to Paris on Sunday. Perhaps with an umbrella tied to his bike too.[:P]

[/quote]

[:D] fortunately the news I've heard has been on the Beeb where curiously they have not mentioned *k*. just as well for me, is there anything they don't own?

nonetheless great stuff to see him up there, and displaying that rare british trait, 'Sportsmanship', fingers crossed . . .

This was a perfect year for Wiggins.

Schleck injured and Contador banned + a set of stages (3 x individual time trials) that suit him down to the ground.

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted but it's not over yet.  Nibali, who IMO is the only one with any hope of catching him, will attack big time over the next two days in the high-Pyrenees.

Loving it: glued to the box every afternoon. 

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]

But will it be something of a hollow victory?

I wonder if it will go down as the Tour that was really won by the man who came second.

[/quote]

And who was "allowed" to ride over the line in front yesterday? Nothing hollow at all if he wins, there are more than two men in the Sky team. Wonderful British attitude, always find fault and downgrade a winner. [:P] 

There was much praise for Wiggins when we were out watching the stage

that went past our place last Saturday - and plenty of it from those French

and Belgians neighbours who came to chat at our English corner. I even managed to get a 'photo' - but was so excited I pressed a button wrongly and only managed to get some very short video clips, so the photo needs OH's talents.

His

stock in France soared after the tacks incident. How marvellous there's something to cheer for after all the foul weather etc.

Thought of you on Saturday Gardian; hope your time in Avignon was good.

I'm very proud to say I watched a fellow Englishman "whizz" past today, along with all the other competitors.

It was a pleasant afternoon and a lot of fun to watch and left me with a lump in my throat - meaning a spectacular event, perhaps a once in a lifetime thing to see.

How many of us have actually watched them go by?

It is generally estimated that between 11 and 15 million spectators watch the TdF go by live every year.[;-)] - but perhaps you mean, watching the TdF with an Englishman in yellow?

So glad it was such a good experience for you Mogs this year - very special for Britain indeed, with 5 stage victories so far (hopefully another one today, and another for Cav tomorrow on the Champs. I am very happy that it puts British riders firmly on the map, and can't wait to see what they do in the Olympics

I didn't go to watch the Tour this year, but remember seeing David Millar win a stage before, and Chris Boardman  and there were others. Both David Millar and Chris Boardman have been in yellow too.

What a brilliant performance today!

I hope that tomorrow they'll celebrate his achievement properly in the British media and we get to read a bit about the man inside the lycra.

The amount of coverage Andy Murray got and always seems to get is out of all proportion to his success (lack of in grand slams)[:P]

And no, you can't hit me whatever you want to throw at me because....I have already ducked!!![:D]

[quote user="NormanH"]He gave a super interview on French TV yesterday, explaining that he used to live in a dangerous bit of London and spending his time drinking six-packs of beer. He came over  as a really nice guy.
[/quote]

He IS a really nice guy, AND his French is so good! Bradley Wiggins, just like Mark Cavendish, makes me go all British...[:D]

I like the way the English riders come over as modest and self-effacing, not taking themselves too seriously - as compared to the French ones, who seem (most of them but not all) often keen to blow their own trumpet.