Will UK Telephones work in France?

Richard

Hi All,

Silly question, but will our UK telephones work on the French telephone system?   The reason I'm asking is whether to try and get our existing telephones to last until we move (they are on their final days, but "might" last if need be).  However, if they do work, then we can get the new set now....

Thanks In Advance,

Richard

A POTS two pole connected phone will work in france; an older phone with separate actuation of ring will not.

If you press buttons to dial it will probably work; if you place your finger in a hole in a dial and rotate it in a clockwise direction it will probably not; unless it is one of those hideous retro monstrosities.

It's stating the obvious (I hope) but you will of course also need to buy new leads for the British phones (or equip yourself with adaptors) as a French telephone plug is very different to the BT type.

Easily obtainable,  but annoying to find out if you're in a hurry to use the phones and hadn't made provision.

[quote user="Martin963"]It's stating the obvious (I hope) but you will of course also need to buy new leads for the British phones (or equip yourself with adaptors) as a French telephone plug is very different to the BT type.

Easily obtainable,  but annoying to find out if you're in a hurry to use the phones and hadn't made provision.
[/quote]

Not if it is a new build with NF C 15-100 compliant RJ 45s.[6]

I never thought I'd write this, but if I understand pacrapapa correctly... I have to agree. Lots and lots of the wires/connections for the "T" system and quite a few for RJ11 in Castorama but very little for RJ45. It confused the heck out of me.... RJ45 is the standard but it's nigh on impossible to buy the stuff you need.

Yes but the cabling system is just a medium to send the signal round so you need various types of adapter for the use you want to put it too. The types of adapters you may need for the newer house wiring system in France would be RJ45 to RJ11 for phones, RJ45 to 'Video Converter' (there are different ones depending on type of video), RJ45 to USB converter, RJ45 to Speaker and the list goes on. You just need to know what your looking for (I didn't mean that to sound sarcastic but you know what I mean), they are all out there.

[quote user="JohnM"]I never thought I'd write this, but if I understand pacrapapa correctly... I have to agree. Lots and lots of the wires/connections for the "T" system and quite a few for RJ11 in Castorama but very little for RJ45. It confused the heck out of me.... RJ45 is the standard but it's nigh on impossible to buy the stuff you need.[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D]Go on stick it in hard and deep...you know I want it.

[IMG]http://stielec.ac-aix-marseille.fr/cours/abati/domo/images/telephonie11.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Quillan"]Yes but the cabling system is just a medium to send the signal round so you need various types of adapter for the use you want to put it too. The types of adapters you may need for the newer house wiring system in France would be RJ45 to RJ11 for phones, RJ45 to 'Video Converter' (there are different ones depending on type of video), RJ45 to USB converter, RJ45 to Speaker and the list goes on. You just need to know what your looking for (I didn't mean that to sound sarcastic but you know what I mean), they are all out there.[/quote]

Agreed, and I do know what you mean so no sarcasm read into it, but the point is, you (I) want to walk into the shop and pick up "just the lead/socket/ready-made-wire you want"..... with the RJ45 it isn't quite like that, for a system that seems to have been the "norm" for many years that is annoying.

I think if you have the new type RJ11 FT socket installed (like you just bought a house and it had no phone before) then it will work so would any extensions run from it, just like with the new BT sockets in the UK. The French have gone a different way and introduced (badly) a structured "multi-media" (their choice of word) wiring system. The principle is very good and the UK could learn form it but it would have to be changed a bit. The biggest issue is that your told how it will be, the finding of the right bits and pieces for the consumer to buy to 'bolt it' all together is not their problem! Anyway, what you need to buy is a converter, RJ45 plug on a short bit of cable (6" or less) with a RJ11 socket on the end, they cost under £2 in the UK, God only knows how much they are in France.

[quote user="JohnM"]Sorry Mr (Mrs, Miss or Ms) P, I don't mean to be rude (on this occasion :-) ), but I often find your comments rather obtuse. I think I understood you on the RJ45 comment that I responded to, but you've lost me on this one.[/quote]

Forgive my subtle entreaties from a very pretty, virgin, frustrated RJ 45 telephone female socket.

If you could refain from referring to me as pacrapapa, then I am sure I would be able to apply a modicum of restraint in replying to your posts.

Don't understand all this "jack jargon +++". All I do know is we bought a set of 3 Phillips phones in Tesco (less than half the price they are here) and 3 small adaptors (50p each in tesco also), brought them back here and plugged them in no problems - they work fine. Oh the only other thing is the phone socket adaptor (I had one of these that disconnected from the old french phone, the wire unplugs from the socket bit and the English one plugs in here) Not a very good technical description, but I know it works ......

Quotes do not appear to be working on this machine. This is a response to Mr P.

Ahh. Now I understand the tone of the message and therefore I will apologise for the unfortunate typo.

However, may I use this opportunity to highlight the problem. You could have said something like "I assume that was an unfortunate typo in my name, however if it was deliberate you should be ashamed because resorting to insults is not a way to win a debate". That would have been simple, easy to understand and quite meaningful. Instead you went off at a tangent assuming that I would know what you were thinking.

I now have to make an assumption, that is, that you've used the word "refrain" to mean "stop" rather than the other usage where it means a chorus in a song. So although it has made me smile, I do apologise for the offence caused by using such an unfortunate misspelling of your username.

• 1 year later...