Is your medication really useful?

woolybanana

Well, a report just out says that a majority of medicines are a waste of time and are a con trick played by the makers. And that they should no longer be reimbursed. Will this simply be shoved under the carpet?

http://www.lepoint.fr/sante/un-medicament-sur-deux-serait-inutile-13-09-2012-1505663_40.php

(Translation:  http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lepoint.fr%2Fsante%2Fun-medicament-sur-deux-serait-inutile-13-09-2012-1505663_40.php  )

I agree with some of the comments about the drug industry.

As somebody says in the comments there are drugs that some people are allergic to but say nothing when they are prescribed can be dangerous and that's not the fault of the drug industry. It will probably mention allergies on the data sheet included with the drug but I wonder how many people take notice. I have been given drugs that can cause drowsiness, not a good idea if you drive which the doctor knows I do, lucky I checked.

On the other hand I have a course of injections every year (this will be my forth year), just before winter, for arthritis in my knee. You can't get this drug in the UK because NICE say it only works on 80% of the people and it is very expensive. The price for the set of three injections is €120 plus the forty odd Euros I pay the guy at the hospital and reclaim. The difference it makes to my quality of life is amazing, no pain at all for a start. The traditional injections used in the UK has been proved to give pain relief initially but long term increases degeneration of the joint by 60% resulting in a replacement being required in a much shorter time. Without these injections I would not be able to walk and in the UK would no doubt result in me making a substantial benefits claim which would be much bigger than the cost of the drug.

The thing I have noticed, and at first hand, is that on average the French feel cheated if they visit the doctor and don't come away with a prescription, even for a cold. My doctor is not very popular amongst the locals as he refuses to give out antibiotics unless he really needs to. We all have read the reports about the more you take antibiotics the less effective they become so I make him right. I do ask for them but only, for instance, if I have a chest infection because I am asthmatic and there is a point you get to where you know yourself you actually need them, in my case every two or three years. Because my doctor knows this I get them only then to be asked by a friend who just has a cold how I managed to because they couldn't.

All the other drugs I take I know what they are for and I know I need them. Never did I think that at my age I would become a pharmaceutical junkie but unfortunately I have. Obviously big business though considering we have about four pharmacies in our two and only about 2000 inhabitants plus they are always busy.

"pharmaceutical junkie" [:D] I know what you mean, I'm getting that way too.  But I've learnt that when I go for a repeat prescription and the doc asks "any other problems?" I say no because if I say yes it means a string of tests, and hours spent in waiting rooms.

And most of the problems improve in time anyway.

Shouldn't complain really as they're very thorough.

[quote user="Quillan"]

I agree with some of the comments about the drug industry.

As somebody says in the comments there are drugs that some people are allergic to but say nothing when they are prescribed can be dangerous and that's not the fault of the drug industry. It will probably mention allergies on the data sheet included with the drug but I wonder how many people take notice. I have been given drugs that can cause drowsiness, not a good idea if you drive which the doctor knows I do, lucky I checked.

On the other hand I have a course of injections every year (this will be my forth year), just before winter, for arthritis in my knee. You can't get this drug in the UK because NICE say it only works on 80% of the people and it is very expensive. The price for the set of three injections is €120 plus the forty odd Euros I pay the guy at the hospital and reclaim. The difference it makes to my quality of life is amazing, no pain at all for a start. The traditional injections used in the UK has been proved to give pain relief initially but long term increases degeneration of the joint by 60% resulting in a replacement being required in a much shorter time. Without these injections I would not be able to walk and in the UK would no doubt result in me making a substantial benefits claim which would be much bigger than the cost of the drug.

The thing I have noticed, and at first hand, is that on average the French feel cheated if they visit the doctor and don't come away with a prescription, even for a cold. My doctor is not very popular amongst the locals as he refuses to give out antibiotics unless he really needs to. We all have read the reports about the more you take antibiotics the less effective they become so I make him right. I do ask for them but only, for instance, if I have a chest infection because I am asthmatic and there is a point you get to where you know yourself you actually need them, in my case every two or three years. Because my doctor knows this I get them only then to be asked by a friend who just has a cold how I managed to because they couldn't.

All the other drugs I take I know what they are for and I know I need them. Never did I think that at my age I would become a pharmaceutical junkie but unfortunately I have. Obviously big business though considering we have about four pharmacies in our two and only about 2000 inhabitants plus they are always busy.

[/quote]

I'm sure that's true, but everyone thinks that, don't they.

For the first time in my life I am taking quite a lot of drugs. I have a problem thyroid which actually, in most cases should be better by next spring, so that will reduce radically the amount of things I take. And these drugs are working very very well. I am on a far lower dose than is usual.

I will only end up taking 2 tablets if everything goes to plan, but, it will be for life. They work and I am happy with what I take as they do their job.

I was offered something about 4 years ago and one of the side effects, was 'death', just in the middle of the other side effects. I didn't take that and they gave me something else.

[quote user="nomoss"][quote user="Quillan"]

All the other drugs I take I know what they are for and I know I need them.

[/quote]

I'm sure that's true, but everyone thinks that, don't they.

[/quote]

I take medicine for my asthma which is much better (the medication) than I had in the UK yet it is cheaper. I take a tablet for my cholesterol as it is high and I have had three heart attacks back in the UK so I take a tablet for my heart. I get an annual checkup in the hospital for both my asthma and my heart which I never got in the UK. I am also diabetic (type 2) but I control that via diet which also has reduced the strength of my cholesterol tablet by half. I could probably change my diet even more and stop taking the cholesterol tablet but I don't wish to, the reason being that since being in France I have managed to loose 37 kilo's (has anyone found it cos I can't[;-)]) under my own steam and a little help from Wooly and enjoy what I now eat. Any further reductions in my diet would make me loose the will to live.

Quillan. I had no intention to infer that your drugs might not be necessary, and apologise if I gave that impression.

I was merely observing that everyone believes the drugs they are prescribed are necessary. Why shouldn't they?

If any attempt were made to remove existing drugs from the list there would be an uncontrollable outcry. Only a very brave or stupid politician would consider doing so.

Oh dear, what did I just say....

That makes sense doesn't it.

The closer one is to death's door the higher one's reimbursement.

Reduce health care to an automated bureaucratic process.

No hint of preventive medicine nor reducing the spread of communicable illnesses.

So if you want good value for your health cover, make sure you get something really nasty.

I went to a 50th birthday party in the UK a few years ago and was shocked to see what bad health the majority of my peers were in despite them all being far fitter than I when we were young. One of them asked the group what medications do you take every day and when I in turn replied none they were shocked and didnt believe me, the common ilnesses amongts them were smoking and drinking related and diabetes.

Since then sadly I have only seen the diminishing group at their funerals, one being a suicide.

When i was travelling I could always tell a French traveller or holidaymaker as their medicine kit was always bigger than their luggage, we have I believe 17 pharmacies open all hours to serve a town of 9000 habitants (plus some outlying villages) judging by the medecine cabinets in the homes of all the French I know I reckon they all take a cocktail of medicaments each day.

I would like to do a straw poll, are there any others on the forum that dont take medicines daily/weekly? 

I cannot vote yes at the moment as I had another eye operation on Tuesday and have 2 lots of eyedrops, one for 5 days the other until my next contrôle in 6 weeks, given what is at risk I have bought them and will use them, although in the past they would prescribe 10 plus medications until i took them to task, explained that I had to pay for them and were they really necessary, the majority weren't.

On a serious note it would be interesting to see what percentage could be considered to be a drain on the resources of the French or UK health service, thoughts of the blocking of entry to the CMU spring to mind.

I apologise for the awfull choice of words, à la charge doesnt sound any better either [:(]

Chancer, I'm 66 and now I've finished 5 years of anti-hormone treatment for breast cancer the only medicines I use are twice-daily inhaler doses to keep my asthma under control. My husband is 65 and he takes nothing (mind you, he virtually never darkens the doctor's door). My GP in Wales once threatened me with medication for borderline high blood pressure, but agreed that I could try to remove the need by losing weight. It worked!

Is there really no-one else ???????????

I would say that if I hadnt lost weight and got fit when I did (which was probably the very last chance) I would by now be on some kind of medication, probably for diabetes. My sister is type 2 and I was warned that I was borderline.

I have also at times been asthmatic and used to carry an inhaler in the car just in case.

I packed my rucksack recently and was shocked to find packets of doliprene etc in there, I used to keep them everywhere, car, houses, bags etc as a migraine could come at any time, I have not taken one for 18 months.

Like your husband I would keep away from doctors not least for the cost involved but I can think of several other things that I put up with then which I no longer suffer and which would otherwise probably be chronic now.

I recently bought a blood pressure monitor from Aldi in the UK (£11), its very good and I was amazed at the results, average of 15 readings 86/50 with resting heart rate of 54, I may even have to increase the salt in my diet to raise things to normal.

So I appeal again, are there any of you that dont take/need any medication?

And a question for those of you that do, if your treatments were no longer to be reimbursable in France neither by the SECU nor the mutuelles would you want to and/or be able to continue living here in France?

And theres the thing, - I didnt [:-))]

I would liken myself to a car owned by a vicar or elederly couple that was cossetted in a warm garage, never taken out in damp weather and never driven above 30mph.

The trouble is whenever I found a gem like that it would go bang in a big way after a few months of my abuse [:(]

I fear that the next woman who is capable of really putting me through my paces may have the same result [6]

[quote user="Chancer"]

And a question for those of you that do, if your treatments were no longer to be reimbursable in France neither by the SECU nor the mutuelles would you want to and/or be able to continue living here in France?

[/quote]

Personally I take what I have to take and so far it is covered 100%. In the unlikelihood of things changing would I leave France? Well actually that's a question I will have to deal with should it ever happen so I can't personally give a direct answer.

The other question about what you take and do you really have to I have answered above. There are two drugs on my prescription which I don't bother collecting and have not for a few years. Of course I might be foolish in not taking them, I am not a doctor.

[quote user="Chancer"]

I would say that if I hadnt lost weight and got fit when I did (which was probably the very last chance) I would by now be on some kind of medication, probably for diabetes. My sister is type 2 and I was warned that I was borderline.

I have also at times been asthmatic and used to carry an inhaler in the car just in case.

I packed my rucksack recently and was shocked to find packets of doliprene etc in there, I used to keep them everywhere, car, houses, bags etc as a migraine could come at any time, I have not taken one for 18 months.

Like your husband I would keep away from doctors not least for the cost involved but I can think of several other things that I put up with then which I no longer suffer and which would otherwise probably be chronic now.

I recently bought a blood pressure monitor from Aldi in the UK (£11), its very good and I was amazed at the results, average of 15 readings 86/50 with resting heart rate of 54, I may even have to increase the salt in my diet to raise things to normal.

[/quote]

I'm 61 and don't take any regular medication at all, the very odd headache pill, and something for sea sickness when I travel, if I have to do a transatlantic flight I try to get some diazepam or similar from the doctor.....

My mother is 92 and only takes a niazapan every night and as she has been taking them for 16 years my guess is that they have no effect and its just habit!

Despite my multiple illnesses the only thing I take every day now is an anti-coagulant, which is more or less essential since when it was stopped once before I had a third DVT pretty quickly after.  I lost some weight last year and was able to stop blood pressure tablets though, so I reckon I have got off lightly.

Every couple of months I take a vitamin supplement, (Bion3))  but that is my choice.

[quote user="Chancer"]

[/quote]

At the age of 68 I am in the fortunate position that the only prescription medication I have is a decongestant. Otherwise I take a little glucosamine each day as I find that helps my low grade arthritis.

I just hope by posting this I haven't tempted fate and will soon find myself needing lots of medication.[:)]

I have friends who don't take anything, all late fifties/early sixties. I always will now. I could, if I had to, probably lose a lot of weight although I have to say, I do wonder what would happen to all that 'skin' that covers my ample self if I did lose the weight though, sorry if I have put anyone off any meal they may have just consumed, but it is something I have considered!

And if I did lose all that weight, well, I'm now wondering how it would affect my general health. All my basic test things are normal, and my blood pressure is low. It would help my poor knees, but it wouldn't make them 'work' again.

I would say that as an older lass, I shall accept that I am not in the state I was when forty, or earlier and just get on with life and doing what I want.

Chancer you said:

The trouble is whenever I found a gem like that it would go bang in a big way after a few months of my abuse

I fear that the next woman who is capable of really putting me through my paces may have the same result 

So which of you would go bang in a big way............ her or you?????[:D]

I have always suffered pied valgus (flat feet) although they werent diagnosed until my 40's, I went to the orthopedist recently for new semelles and she told me I didnt need them any more, losing weight and probably strengthening the ankle muscles through running had cured me.

I no longer wear semelles and the other day I was carrying two 15kg buckets of crepi and I could feel my feet aching as they had reverted to their previous position, its only when you walk around with a load equal to the weight that you have lost that you begin to realise what a strain and handicap it has always been. Its just not the same if you are say 10kg overweight to carry 10kg an extra to experience it, the heavier we are the easier it seems to be to carry heavy weights, I do now struggle to manhandle certain things that I found easy before, not the weight as such but the equilibre.

Re loose skin it hasnt really been a problem and only shows up when half clothed with a belt cinched up, no belt or naked is fine, if you still have skin elasticity (try the pinch test on the back of the hand) and no stretch marks it probably wont be an issue, no different to child birth I guess.