Strange thing just happened

mogs

I'm a bit shook up as I've just had a man here (in a white van so maybe a chasseur) telling me that my dog had killed his dog this afternoon and he'd had to see a vet.

This is categorically not true but there is only my word.   I've been in all day with both my dogs but he was very firm in telling me about this.

He is obviously mistaken and TBH there are always dogs wandering around our village by themselves but neither of our dogs go out without us.

I'm just wondering if he is going to slap a bill for the vet onto us.

I don't know who this man is or where he lives so I suppose it is a waiting game to see if anything happens next but my concern is can he try to get our dogs put down?

[quote user="mogs"]I'm a bit shook up as I've just had a man here (in a white van so maybe a chasseur) telling me that my dog had killed his dog this afternoon and he'd had to see a vet.

This is categorically not true but there is only my word.   I've been in all day with both my dogs but he was very firm in telling me about this.

He is obviously mistaken and TBH there are always dogs wandering around our village by themselves but neither of our dogs go out without us.

I'm just wondering if he is going to slap a bill for the vet onto us.

I don't know who this man is or where he lives so I suppose it is a waiting game to see if anything happens next but my concern is can he try to get our dogs put down?

[/quote]

It may only be your word, but it is only HIS word as well. Smells of "arnaque". If he returns, call the gendarmes.

Yes, Pickles, it sounds like a try on to me.

If he comes back, ask for the vet's name and phone up the surgery to find out if it is true. Then ask for proof - and if they are dodgy looking characters, tell them to get lost. Also take the registration number of the van. Was it a local number plate?

Additionally, you might contact the mayor and the gendarme as well as neighbours to see whether this has been happening round about for some time.

Shortly after his visit to me his turned turned up who was less aggressive than him and also spoke a little bit of English so I invited her in to look at the dogs.  She agreed it was not one of them, but said the killer dog looked like my other dog.   I explained that there was no possibility it could be my dog as he is old and rarely goes out, never by himself.   She could see he wasn't aggressive so begun to doubt the description of the dog.

Just a minute ago she came back to apologise and say that they were mistaken as they found the dog that had done it and from the description it is NOTHING like my old boy, who wouldn't even eat a fly!

At least she said sorry, but I still feel churned up about being wrongly accused.

Thanks for replies.

Mogs wrote :Just a minute ago she came back to apologise and say that they were mistaken

I think from that they are probably genuine ....If they were up to no good I don't think they would keep popping back .

Somebody has mentioned you having dogs and they are doing the rounds to find the one responsible  for the attack on their one I expect your dog owning neighbours have also had them visit  

If push came to shove regarding proof, a DNA sample of your dog would either match or not the marks on the body. Horrible thing to happen to you though, just shows we never know what is going to happen next and what happens when other people let their dogs roam.

Well, say you had a breeding dog or woman dog(!) worth a grand or more, you might be less than amused if someone accused it of killing their dog and wanted it put down. With a potential for damages, loss of earnings etc taken into account, there might be quite a lot of dosh involved. So DNA testing might not be so silly really.

I understand how upsetting it was for the man, especially as the dog also bit him. However to accuse someone of this (when they were obviously mistaken) is what upset me. He hasn't been to say sorry himself. Anyway innocence prevail s!

I understand that Val but in this scenario would you need to do anything, werent the owners of the supposed victim dog just pi55ing in the wind?

Would it not be them that had to prove your dog did it and not you to prove he didnt?

Also I dont understand what is the relevance of how much your dog cost/is worth in terms of proving his innocence?

I agree, I was just making a point that after spending that much on a dog,I would want to protect my investment whatever.

I paid that much for my dog because it was a breed that I particularly wanted and suited our home and I worked hard to pay it out of my wages.Thats him as my avatar and yes, I know there are plenty of dogs needing homes in rescue charities but not that particular time and people spend that sort of money going on holidays in one go wheras I have a very loving and loyal companion for what I hope will be many more years to come.