EDF energy price increases

[quote user="powerdesal"]Whilst I don't have accurate figures, I estimate an annual usage of approx 10 stere of logs and 240 litres of paraffin. That equates to approx euro 770 per year. That figure will rise of course when the CH is installed to (probably) around euro 900 + a small increase in electricity due to electric cooker use in summer. Time will tell.[/quote]

Don't take this the wrong way but that seems rather cheap for the quantity. Using best prices round here for wood (€64 per stere for oak) and paraffin (€22 per 20L on special) I make that more around €900 plus.

Reading your original post €500 worth over Christmas for what, two weeks, seems rather high. They must have been boiling in the bedrooms.

Where I am coming from is I like to work things out. For instance if I was gong to install, or rather pay to have installed, a pellet boiler with all the bits and bobs like hopper, hot water accumulator and central heating I would have thought be talking what, €20k all in? That's like 20 years worth of wood and paraffin, would you still be living there in 20 years time? Keeping in mind I have not even included the price of pellets and maintenance.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="powerdesal"]Whilst I don't have accurate figures, I estimate an annual usage of approx 10 stere of logs and 240 litres of paraffin. That equates to approx euro 770 per year. That figure will rise of course when the CH is installed to (probably) around euro 900 + a small increase in electricity due to electric cooker use in summer. Time will tell.[/quote]

Don't take this the wrong way but that seems rather cheap for the quantity. Using best prices round here for wood (€64 per stere for oak) and paraffin (€22 per 20L on special) I make that more around €900 plus.

Reading your original post €500 worth over Christmas for what, two weeks, seems rather high. They must have been boiling in the bedrooms.

Where I am coming from is I like to work things out. For instance if I was gong to install, or rather pay to have installed, a pellet boiler with all the bits and bobs like hopper, hot water accumulator and central heating I would have thought be talking what, €20k all in? That's like 20 years worth of wood and paraffin, would you still be living there in 20 years time? Keeping in mind I have not even included the price of pellets and maintenance.

[/quote] We pay E45 per stere, so that's E450 for the wood. 12 x 20L drum of paraffin = E312 ( 12 x E26 ) Total E762, rounded up to E770 We have decided against the pellet boiler for reasons that you quote. SWMBO has decided she wants a Rayburn 455SFW which will run rads in dining room, bathroom, shower room, master bedroom, sitting room and library. The sitting room and master bedroom rads will probably be on a low setting as the woodburner will remain in use in winter, but not necessarily at it's present output. There will be rads fitted in the other bedrooms but they will probably spend the winter on frost-stat setting as we don't tend to have winter visitors. The rayburn output will heat the kitchen and heat will no doubt leak into the sitting room through the always open doorway. There will be an offset due to the loss of need for propane for cooking, presently running at one cylinder per 6 weeks. There will be increased electricity in summer as the rayburn will not be running. The high winter use during the family Christmas was a surprise to me, the heating was by electric convectors of which there were at least 6 in use. At the time the insulation levels in the house were not very good. There was also a considerable increase in hot water use.

I used to buy wood by the tonne in France and it was always expensive in our region. That 45€ a stere sounds  cheap to me, it would have been cheap for us 30 years ago.......... but I know that some regions always were a lot cheaper than mine. Our problem was, that the transport costs of getting it from a cheaper region, left us with about the same price as we were paying locally.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="powerdesal"]We pay E45 per stere, so that's E450 for the wood. [/quote]

Gosh I wish we could get it that cheap, is that oak?

[/quote]

It's mixed, but quite a lot of oak in the mix.

The local log man does not advertise, custom is 'by word of mouth recommendation'' and cash in hand, don't ask for a receipt !!!!!!

Just had notice from EDF that they propose increasing my monthly payments from €63 to €93 a month! Seems a bit of a hike to me?

I have a wood burner that heats the whole house and is still warm enough in the mornings for me to shamble about in my scants and the only electric heating I use is in the kitchen when it's really icy cold....for the dog. So a 50% rise seems a bit excessive doesn't it?

Wood round here varies between €50 and €65 a stere, depending I reckon on how well I am able to order in French, and whether I fail to recognise that the delivery of oak was similar to the horse for beef switch.