Am I getting old and intolerant?

Georgina

I don't go to restaurants very often now but tonight I took my kids out for a meal. It was a rare treat.

Now I live in Brittany and not many people do actually get dressed up around here, sometimes turning up in work clothes.

Well i can put up with that..... a bit.

Tonight however the woman opposite me at the next table was frantically chewing at her nails, to the extent that it made me feel rather sick. and well we weren't in MacDonalds.

I was very close to saying something to her. I would have done had I been in England, rather disgusting to do that I think.

What tolerance level do you have in restaurants.  And what have you witnessed?

I also hate people who blow their nose rather loudly.

PS this is a topic for discussion not for someone to say I shouldn't go out (:  I am interested in whether I am seeing just bad manners or am I being intolerant.

I think it will be a while before I go out again. (blah)

(

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She probably could not do anything about it, I have been a nail and finger chewer all my life until the last 2 years, my niece is worse than I was.

As I get older whilst I am definitely getting more tolerant I am also more intolerant in equal measure, the problem is its often people doing the things that I used to in ignorance or selfishly.

In the relatively unlikely and infrequent event that I have to blow my nose in public, which I assume most people would prefer to me wiping it on my sleeve or allowing it to run, it makes a VERY loud noise. I partly attribute this to some medical problems I had as an adolescent.

I apologise that this may be found unpleasant by others but I can assure anyone who hears me blowing my nose that the volume is entirely outwith my control. The noise is rather akin to a transatlantic cruise liner in fog, or a sealion giving birth.

I derive no pleasure from this unfortunate problem, but it would be nice to think that I could blow my nose in public without testing others' tolerance to its limits, even if those limits seem awfully short. It has, of course, made me a great deal more tolerant of any similar problem in others.

Betty, a thousand thanks for your straight-talking post!  It's made me feel TONS better about my cough!

Friends, other than virtual ones on this Forum, will mostly know that I have had a problem with the blasted lungs for weeks on end now and that I have prolonged bouts of coughing.  There are some places where I would of course not go, such as to a concert, but I have inevitably had to go to restaurants, especially as we have had a family member to stay and I haven't been able to do much cooking.

I also try to avoid supermarkets but, hey, sometimes, us annoying people also need to buy in food.....

If it's any consolation, I don't much like my ear-shattering coughing sounds either (not to mention the associated sheer tiredness and insomia) but, alas, what can't be cured must be endured (I hope by others also!) 

In answer to the OP's question the answer is yes you are getting older a day at a time but don't worry it beats the alternative  at least when you have reasonable quality of life and I am afraid it does seem you are not the most tolerant person around. Since I didn't know you earlier in life I can't say if you are getting less tolerant than you were but you do seem nowadays to be allowing things to get under your skin and driving you mad.

Like Chancer I am a nailbiter but have largely grown out of the habit and only do it when I am very stressed.. If a stranger in a restaurant told me not to do it I would tell them where to go in know uncertain terms[:)]

My mum, bless her, became increasingly intolerant of some of the most odd things as she got older. I think even she realised that her lack of tolerance was HER problem, and not the hapless source, when one of my kids got an attack of hiccups and she suddenly turned to him and said "Oh, for goodness sake, be quiet!"

In the main, I think intolerance increases exponentially with age. Doesn't make it right, though, eh?[:D]

Sweets and Sid, maybe we could form an orchestra?

Another thing occurs, since the OP asked. I must be fortunate, either in my choice of restaurants or my dining companions, but, having given the matter some thought, I seldom have cause to pay attention to other diners when I'm eating out. Usually, the company I'm with is interesting enough to prevent me needing to observe what's happening on other tables. On the odd occasion where I've dined in such close proximity to total strangers, it's often led to pleasant exchanges and, in extreme circumstances, lasting friendships.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Another thing occurs, since the OP asked. I must be fortunate, either in my choice of restaurants or my dining companions, but, having given the matter some thought, I seldom have cause to pay attention to other diners when I'm eating out. Usually, the company I'm with is interesting enough to prevent me needing to observe what's happening on other tables. On the odd occasion where I've dined in such close proximity to total strangers, it's often led to pleasant exchanges and, in extreme circumstances, lasting friendships.
[/quote]

How right you are once again, Betty!

Last week, I had a delightful conversation with a French couple at the next table, who live not far from us and I practised my French whilst the man practised his English (he was very proud that he'd worked in Manchester for a short time back in the 1960s - LOL, can't imagine how that place must have improved since!!)

Then, on another day, I was invited to talk (I didn't initiate any conversation) with an English couple who have a holiday home also not far from us and also expressing hopes  (much like the French couple the day before) that we would meet again.

As you say, Betty, you never know what interesting strangers you might meet, regardless of their personal habits of which you may or may not approve...[:)] 

[quote user="Chancer"]On the positive side if I want to go use the toilet in a restaurant and I see someone coming out biting their nails I can be reasonably sure that there will be some toilet paper and probably a working sink![/quote]

I bet though it is not always

Out to lunch the other day we were put on the end of a table occupied by, it appeared to be, a French family. Opposite me and next to my OH was a teenage boy with, I imagine, his grandma. In between courses grandma very kindly turned her grandson's cheek to the light and pressed her two thumbs to what I imagine was a zit. [+o(]

[quote user="Ivor Nidea"]Out to lunch the other day we were put on the end of a table occupied by, it appeared to be, a French family. Opposite me and next to my OH was a teenage boy with, I imagine, his grandma. In between courses grandma very kindly turned her grandson's cheek to the light and pressed her two thumbs to what I imagine was a zit. [+o(][/quote]

LOL well that beats me ...... gross

[quote user="confused of chalus"][quote user="Georgina"]Oh ok, next time I shall take a gorgeous man and maybe I will not notice the behaviour of those opposite (: still think it was disgusting sorry

[/quote]

Let me know where you find him will you please. I'd like one of those.[/quote]

Well i won't be sharing LOL

Maybe Georgina you have some hardening of the arteries, I'm not sure if I'm becoming more tolerant or CBA about others bad habits, I do tend to focus on the positives of an evening, saving the moans unitl after I've left, these days it's more likely to be 'not sure I'd pay to go there again';
There is one incident, if only I could loose from my mental vision, which was a young gay waiter skipping towards us, taking our order in 12yr old girlie way and then skipping away to kitchen, what is the world coming to, I just wish the memory would go away. The barmaid rolled her eyes sarcastically which was the redeeming feature and perhaps I might steel myself to go back one day [blink]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Just had aa great resto with my daughter in Brussels with none on the niggles mentioned. Even the little doggie under the table next door was impeccably behaved.[/quote]

Now dogs in restaurants I can't stand (well I don't like dogs much anyway). It would be enough to make me turn round and walk out.

I was just thinking recently that I'm becoming a grumpy old git, the specific reason is smokers and fag-ends.  Why can't they dispose of them properly?  Even worse, flicking them from cars - heaven forfend that they should mess up their car, well guess what, no one else wants it either.  The last straw was when I was in the street with a colleague who was smoking and he flicked the butt away and we were standing next to a bin !  Couldn't help it, I let rip with 'You will die before that fag end decays' Made no impression though