Smacking Children

Remember flying back to the UK from Doha and just in front and in the middle row of seats were a family including two fairly young children and I thought 'they are going to play up'. Unfortunately, some one was taken ill and the plane had to divert to Frankfurt to offload the person, then wait for a take-off slot and eventually arrive back in to the UK. The children made no noise but had been provided with books etc. I did congratulate the parents on the behaviour of their children.

A couple of weeks ago picked up some relatives at Toulouse airport after a flight from Gatwick and one of them spoke of the child behind kicking the back of their seat constantly.

Obviously, two different ways of bringing up children - perhaps one set of parents had more time and or skill in bringing up children. However, if a child is not compliant and reasoning does not work then something else has to be done and perhaps slapping in the answer - after all you only touch a hot cooker once.

If the campaign makes people think twice before smacking very young children, that would be a huge improvement. As the doctor who is leading the campaign says "half of French people had slapped children under the age of two when it was ā€œnot possible for them to understand why they have been hitā€.

I haven't been able to read the link in the OP.

Just to say that most parents aren't perfect, and many when tired from lack of sleep lose their temper and slap when they shouldn't.

It isn't always a calculated and appropriate attempt to correct undesirable behaviour.

As someone who was more than smacked as a child I made sure that I never treated our children them in the same way whilst they were growing up. Hopefully the way they were brought up will ensure any children they have are not smacked, punched or kicked no matter what they have done.

Hitting someone is wrong, child or not. There are better ways to modify behavior and assault is not one of them.

I witnessed a father slapping a child's face in public a few years ago in Perigueux, such a shock to see that sort of thing still going on. If my French had been up to it I would have given the guy some serious feedback.