[quote user="You can call me Betty"]As I mentioned previously, pensioners are now considered to be one of the richest groups in the country, yet they're soon up in arms at the thought of losing a couple of hundred quid.

[/quote]

I really do think that you misread the mood of most people on here.

I'm generalising of course, but I suspect that the view would be that this is an illogical and slightly spiteful withdrawal of a daft benefit which never helped (enough) the people who really needed it.

As to whether anybody would seriously have considered leaving France now or in the past on the basis of not getting a couple of hundred quid annually ........................ !!!!!

The issue for any civilised society is how to direct financial help to the genuinely needy, especially when those very people are often the ones least likely to fill in lengthy forms or turn up in person at some government office. Trying to deal it through taxation isn't the answer, nor the across-the-board, headline-grabbing solution that WFA was.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If, indeed, I have misread the mood of people on here, then I unreservedly apologise. I'm not sure I have, though. Sure, there are a number of people who are clearly seeing this as a missed opportunity to redress the balance and favour those in real need. I'm not sure they're a majority, though.

I'm not sure that, regardless of politics or whoever is in power, there is anyone who could make decisions in the present climate which would meet with general approval. There just seems to be a nasty undercurrent following every new announcement, when people launch into vociferous criticism of everything that might hit them in the pocket, and, as I've said before, I don't think I've ever met so many "special cases".

I know that this current situation is hardly likely to fuel a spirit of altruism, but it would be refreshing to read just ONE comment saying "I don't really need this money and I'd happily forgo it".

If, indeed, I have misread the mood of people on here, then I unreservedly apologise. I'm not sure I have, though. Sure, there are a number of people who are clearly seeing this as a missed opportunity to redress the balance and favour those in real need. I'm not sure they're a majority, though.

I'm not sure that, regardless of politics or whoever is in power, there is anyone who could make decisions in the present climate which would meet with general approval. There just seems to be a nasty undercurrent following every new announcement, when people launch into vociferous criticism of everything that might hit them in the pocket, and, as I've said before, I don't think I've ever met so many "special cases".

I know that this current situation is hardly likely to fuel a spirit of altruism, but it would be refreshing to read just ONE comment saying "I don't really need this money and I'd happily forgo it".

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]If, indeed, I have misread the mood of people on here, then I unreservedly apologise.

I know that this current situation is hardly likely to fuel a spirit of altruism, but it would be refreshing to read just ONE comment saying "I don't really need this money and I'd happily forgo it". [/quote]

'We do happily forgo it' ... apparently my OH and I are entitled to it but I chose not to apply for it so we do not receive it. My OH is not in complete agreement with this, well he's not totally convinced yet, as we are not 'rich' pensioners, but are comfortable in a modest way. But IMO there are people out there who need it more than us and as I am the one who fills out all forms whether French or English I haven't applied for this payment.

My view is our retired life is one long holiday here in France so we can live modestly and quietly without the £200 from the UK gov.

Perhaps my view is wrong and we should take all we can.

Perhaps my view might change, I don't know.

Sue

This topic has come up before, a few times if I'm not mistaken, and I've written that I would give it up. So I haven't followed this thread and might have missed something.

It seems to me that the present fuss is a political move by the current "economists" to regain voters .

I would quite happily not take it but unfortunatly, in the majority of cases, once you get to 65 or were born on or before 5th Jan 1952 it is an automatic payment according to the www.gov.org website. Its one of those things where you are automatically eligible unless you meet certain criteria when it should be the other way round.

https://www.gov.uk/winter-fuel-payment

Thats why I think it first should be changed to a system where you request it so those that don't want it can opt out and then perhaps a means testing system introduced as Betty said and to which I agree. (no Betty I am not bottom licking just agreeing, its logical and fair to do it that way).

[quote user="Quillan"]

I would also like to see the 'bus pass' means tested. My father-in-law had a car, why did he need a bus pass, even he said that. I doubt the likes of Alan Sugar etc needs one either. I am led to believe that the transport companies get a 'fixed fee' for every one issued (around £1bn per year). By only giving them to poor people who have no car quite a bit of money could be saved.

[/quote]

As far as I am aware bus passes have to be applied for - in fact I saw a discussion involving Sugar and he was asked if it was right that he had a bus pass. He explained in his usual manner that he did not have one. So as Sugar has not had one issued the company will not be paid.

I also wonder how many rural services are kept viable because of the payments - i.e. if they did not get this money the number of paying to use passengers would mean that the service is uneconomical.

I don't get it. A government of millionaires decides to withdraw £100 a year from elderly people, some of whom have £450 per month to live on and other people think that that's ok and brag that they never claimed it ion the first place.

Get real, excepting a few headline grabbing occasions, those millionaires claim for just about everything they're entitled to. Needing it doesn't enter into it.

Me, I claim too. I also make payments to effective charities. Government money better spent I think.

Steve

Most benefits should be means tested rather than withdraw some based on poorly researched data - Sicily is warmer than Northern France for example.

However the WFA is quite small so if those pensioners really need the extra £200 or so to survive then I think something is very wrong and maybe they shouldn't have left the UK.

[quote user="SC"]

I don't get it. A government of millionaires .......decides to withdraw £100 a year from elderly people, some of whom have £450 per month to live on and other people think that that's ok and brag that they never claimed it ion the first place.

Get real, excepting a few headline grabbing occasions, those millionaires claim for just about everything they're entitled to. Needing it doesn't enter into it.

Me, I claim too. I also make payments to effective charities. Government money better spent I think.

Steve

[/quote]

Who employ accountants who claim for anything and everything to enable them to avoid paying tax

Many people even as individuals need to have an account because it is a legal requirement i.e. small business, contractors etc. Accountants prepare your return so it can be correctly assessed for tax. Yes a very small minority use accountants to 'hide' money from the taxman(woman), we don't all have access to 'mega' accountancy practices. Try picking on the politicians who have no problem falsely claiming expenses which is money directly owned by the taxpayer which is to all intents and purposes stollen. I would lock the lot up personally.

[quote user="Russethouse"]The money charities get is hard won, of course they need to make sure they use every penny effectively[/quote]

Having had both Amnisty International and the Red Cross as clients in the past the last place they are careful about about where they spend their money is themselves. Having seen the waste and excess of money spent on useless things I stopped giving money to both years ago. I suspect that a few other charities are the same but I have no experience of others.

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Russethouse"]The money charities get is hard won, of course they need to make sure they use every penny effectively[/quote]

Having had both Amnisty International and the Red Cross as clients in the past the last place they are careful about about where they spend their money is themselves. Having seen the waste and excess of money spent on useless things I stopped giving money to both years ago. I suspect that a few other charities are the same but I have no experience of others.

[/quote]

We've given up on a number of charities in the last couple of years because of that and campaigns we don't agree with. We tend to give more to smaller charities nowadays and to find out more about charities in general, rather than give to huge monoliths, whose staff earn far more than I ever thought possible. Our list is much smaller now, but we can give more to those still on the list. That reminds me that we should review our wills to take that into acount!