Tour de France, not a word

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, alright WB.  You're right, but don't assume that some of us haven't been watching it or are disinterested.

I've watched virtually every bloody minute since the Tour started and its been as engrossing as ever. Really pleased to see Froome as good as 'across the line' as it'll get.

Elder son and I went out last Sunday to watch the Tour pass by not too far from us. A good day - it was the Ventoux ascent, but we settled on a spot 30kms from there!  If we hadn't we (a) wouldn't have got close and (b) even if we had, would still have been coming home.

Really good as ever. Now ................. how's about the icing on the cake & Westwood winning tomorrow?

My problem is switching between the Test, Le Tour & the Open. No time for a swim nor a snooze.[:'(] 

Watching Le Tour to me is a bit like the fun that people in the 1800s had going to watch the lunatics in the asylum - there must be something wrong with the participants, there is hard work and damn hard work - ever noticed that cyclists never have a smile on their faces just grimaces.

OK, I will admit I did watch the highlights of the stage in the Pyrenees near us.

Probably quite long odds Alan ................ unless Quintana can significantly improve his time-trialling.

The 5 minutes that he's adrift of Froome is almost certainly completely down to the 2 individual time trials - they finished together on the flat stages and Froome won on Ventoux and Quintana yesterday, so not much between them on the mountain stages. 

I haven't watched other than the bits on the news. My Dad has cycled along with them on his excersize bike as best he could most days. And I have had a full commentary on it every day from him. Including that he thinks that Froomes back up SKY team are absolute rubbish. In the first days, in his opinion doing nothing at all to help.

And I have to admit, I have been well impressed by Chris Froome's french when he has been interviewed on french tv.

Let's hope that the 'baby' isn't born this afternoon, as the victory celebration will fade into a black journalistic hole, because we all know, blinkered journalists get their sights set on one thing, the rest of the news no longer exists.

[quote user="woolybanana"]OK, guys, this is a joke right. I have wàited for a decent discussion or comments on the Tour and what do I get? Not a word, not a peep, not a c.lit... Well, I salute Froome and his team as being courageous and dedicated guys and so bloody British. BRILLIANT.[/quote]

Never one to let facts get in the way of your prejudices[:)]

I explained in the earlier thread why I don't bother to post much now.

[quote user="NormanH"] Never one to let facts get in the way of your prejudices[:)]

I explained in the earlier thread why I don't bother to post much now.
[/quote]

Of course you don't, you're too busy watching the wonderful England cricket team giving the Aussies a good going over. [:D] [:D]

nana,

Froome cheated, and will win. A bit like some others have done. We will probably get to see Cavendish win the last stage today, crossing the line with the usual grin on his face like he has won the Tour, even though he is 3 1/2 hours behind Froome. And he won't even win the green jersey. As it finishes later than usual, maybe we won't see his stupid grin in the darkness. Good enough for you?

I've watched most of it on ITV4 and could have seen the stage near Saumur if we hadn't had to cancel our holiday due to my wife getting booked for a hip replacement operation. We did, however, see two stages in previous years. Whooooooosh, there it was, gone. I think Armstrong went past, but couldn't swear to it.

That Gary Imlach called me from Atlanta years ago when he was doing American football.

David

Something called Oddschecker is showing the following for the 2014 Tour:

Chris Froome 8/15

Nairo Quintana 5

Vincenzo Nibali 11/2

Alberto Contador 15

Bradley Wiggins 15

I would want much longer odds to bet this far ahead, especially Froome at that price, but if pushed, my money would still be on Quintana to make good the time trialling deficit. His performance must have worried some big names, particularly in view of his age.

PaulT,

On a stage a couple back the rules were that you cannot get anything to eat from the team car within 10k of the finish. (Some stages it is 10k, some 20k.) Froom's teammate went back and got some gel for Froom because his sugar level was getting low. He ate it within the 10k limit. I know this sounds petty, but rules is rules and he broke it. He was penalised 20 seconds, which was a slap on the wrist as he was five minutes ahead of everybody. His team was also fined. Supposing he had followed the rules and not eaten the gel, would he have lost a lot of time or possibly crashed and abandoned the Tour? We will never know, because he cheated. 

David