Bureaucracy

[quote user="idun"]Nomoss, I know that, just a bit of silliness about it. I have to get in touch with three different CPAM places in France, one is our old office and another over in the west somewhere and the other in Normandy, all written down in the file. I don't know why these different offices deal with us now, but I have tried and not had access to the account.

I might just try again, it would be good if we could.
[/quote]

I was a bit hesitant about bothering to activate my account, but it is a very easy way of keeping one's details up to date, they send emails with new info' from time to time, remboursements details are there, and, as I mentioned, attestations can be printed, and applications made for CEAM (when we used to get them in France)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I tried to apply on line, but ofcourse they want a post code, five numbers they want and ours is two letters, two numbers, a number and two letters. It just will not have it.

I am going to have to call about this attestation, so I will ask them if they can set us up bypassing the post code, but I won't hold my breath.[:D]

I tried asking 'the cow' and got some sensible answers until she directed me to the page which requires a code postale, so I was really chasing my tail. (I don't really have a tail, that is also more silliness)[Www]

I'll ask next time I call.

I looked at the facility for changing my address on my ameli account, and for "country" it offers a drop-down list, which incudes Royaume-Uni.

It could be that the system will now accept your UK address.

If not, if you were to register initially using your last French address, or your English address with a French looking postcode, you could subsequently change it to the correct address.

They might check that the address you register with corresponds with the one they have on file for you before they send you code, but I can't see any harm in trying[;-)]

I still don't understand how you can be registered with more than one CPAM. That sounds like an error in their system, maybe a source of your problems in getting a response.

I won't do that, as we haven't had that address for four years and as far as I am concerned it would look 'iffy'. Also, as so many of these things are linked in France, I don't want other offices getting the impression that we are still in France. IF this seems un necessarily complicated, then if they even got a whiff that we were still in France or had a french connection, my life could be turned to sheer hell.

They know where we are and I'll just ask. I can cope with the current status quo.

I don't understand how we are registered with more than one CPAM either, although there is only one proper SS number. And I haven't got a clue as to where I would send any feuilles if ever I needed to send one in in France now. Last time I was there I didn't try and update my carte vitale, maybe I should have done, but I forgot.

edit: I don't think that there is an error in their system, just that they treat the likes of us a little differently, that is all. And one day, we won't be in the french system at all and we'll have a boat load of other stuff to sort out then, but not yet[:D]

Well, just to update on this topic, I have now been given a third two month extension for the exchange of my UK licence, which means they have so far taken a full four months and it is not yet processed. Because there is "too much work"!! So, I drive around with a bit of paper which says that the Departmental offices have my licence.

As to the need to travel abroad, they do not care a swine's toot if they inconvenience your life. Fortunately I have other licences.

What a load of onkers.

(It is the first time I have had these problems in 17 years, and I put it down to the excessive inefficiency of the local administration - another bit of French administration which Mr Hollande will not reform!)

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Well, just to update on this topic, I have now been given a third two month extension for the exchange of my UK licence, which means they have so far taken a full four months and it is not yet processed. Because there is "too much work"!! So, I drive around with a bit of paper which says that the Departmental offices have my licence.

As to the need to travel abroad, they do not care a swine's toot if they inconvenience your life. Fortunately I have other licences.

What a load of onkers.

(It is the first time I have had these problems in 17 years, and I put it down to the excessive inefficiency of the local administration - another bit of French administration which Mr Hollande will not reform!)

[/quote]

We changed our UK licences for French ones in Carcassonne Prefecture in March 2007. We were directed straight to an office upstairs which apparently dealt only with driving licences, manned by two people.

We waited a short while for two or three people ahead of us, and were then dealt with quickly and politely, with no charge.

Our French licences arrived by mail a couple of days later.

Nowadays, there is a busy desk just inside the entrance, manned by at least three people, plus a couple of security guards, where everyone is vetted for having the correct paperwork before being allowed to take a ticket from a queue control machine, and to sit down on one of several, usually almost full, long benches.

A wait of up to an hour can then be expected for carte grise operations, which is why we are usually there. There is then a further inquisition before one or more of three people before one is sent away rejoicing to queue for the cash desk, or in misery.

Local government seems much busier than it was only a few years ago. They have more people dealing with the public, but it takes longer to get results both in the local offices and from wherever licences atc. are issued.

It is not surprising that many people, especially those who have to or want to drive outside France, hang on to their UK licences at all cost.

First time back here for a few months. Thought I would add a humorous way of dealing with bureaucracy, but maybe you have seen it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtbQUaC9mE

Having spent the last 12 years in France it was with a certain amount of reluctance that two months ago I decided to move back to the UK. So far I am enjoying picking up from where I left off, now living in a place where I grew up and spent my teenage years.

Most of you will not be aware that 8 years ago my life was turned upside down when I lost my dear wife, which was when I joined the forum in an attempt at grasping at straws to keep going. In doing so I was able to take part in some lively exchanges, during which I count myself lucky at having made friends with some of you, albeit a few of which have never (sadly) been face to face meetings.

Having now made my life back again in the UK I doubt very much whether I will continue to look at the forum as I have now got out of the habit, but I would like to thank you all for making the forum an interesting place to visit, often for me late at night.

If at times I got under anybody's skin for being so blooming annoying with some of my postings it was all done in a friendly manner.

Kind regards to all,

Ivor (who was weedon until I forgot my password) but really Peter. 

Good to hear from you again - I was wondering where Weedon had gone, I love your wit [:D]

Hoping you feel at home again, I wouldn't mind going back to my old hometown (as in the Cheers theme tune, ".....where everyone knows your name".)

[quote user="Patf"]Good to hear from you again - I was wondering where Weedon had gone, I love your wit [:D]
Hoping you feel at home again, I wouldn't mind going back to my old hometown (as in the Cheers theme tune, ".....where everyone knows your name".)
[/quote]

Maybe that's why some don't go back, though.[6]

My move was very similar. We could have gone anywhere, but with an ageing Pa and illness in the family and me avoiding any sort of meaningful aid when others had been ill the past, thought we'd 'be there'. In fact I have no friends living 'close' although some are not that far away, which suits me so no one really knows me 'here'. But as ever have made new friends.

I like it. I don't regret the move at all.

I have a trip back to the UK next week and need the CEAM.

Went to the RAM office in Limoges today and presented my Carte Vitale, It's too late to be issued with a card so they printed certificates there and then for my wife and myself. There was no queue, you speak to a pleasant lady at a desk, not through a glass screen and the whole procedure took 5 minutes.

French bureaucracy eh?

Many years ago I arrived in Calais in the early hours of the morning with many thousands of pounds worth of film camera equipment on my way to Toulouse, I was working on a Film about Concord which at this time was still test flying. In those days you carried a carne for any equipment and the customs people decided that because of the value of my cargo it needed a captain or a person of higher rank to sign the paper work and they wouldn't be at work till 8 am. I explained that I desperately needed to be in Toulouse the next day as early as possible, so with very French practicality they gave me a piece of paper to allow me to proceed to Toulouse and go to the customs there. When I arrived I spoke to the producer and he spoke to the Mayor of Toulouse and without even seeing the vehicle or it's contents he found the person to sign the paperwork and all was well. I must say to my dismay today's French bureaucracy is not as practical. [:D]

an update:

Mrs HSD went back today as the boss is back from his holiday.

He couldn't possibly override the system and make an exception (said with a big smile). No 1st report, no CG. So the expert has agreed to print off the 1st report ...empty (as there are no details to fill in) and sign it. Apparently that will do.

You really do get the impression sometimes that the people who rise to be top functionary's are really just nasty bullies who get an enormous about of pleasure making people jump. Still, we are still hoping for a CG - it's only taken 14 months...so far... to get the car back on the road.

[quote user="Holedigger"]I have a trip back to the UK next week and need the CEAM.

Went to the RAM office in Limoges today and presented my Carte Vitale, It's too late to be issued with a card so they printed certificates there and then for my wife and myself. There was no queue, you speak to a pleasant lady at a desk, not through a glass screen and the whole procedure took 5 minutes.

French bureaucracy eh?[/quote]

And when I lived in France and we did so for getting on for thirty years............ IF we left renewing until the last minute, which could happen, what with it only having a year's use, then I'd simply call and they'd send out an attestation immediately. No problem.

BUT you do not live in the UK on the french CPAM's books  and with them dealing with your health cover etc in several offices, so what happens to us, is not what happens to you and they are very very poor at dealing with us. You are not even comparing our situations, just saying what you did, but mon grand, I had been doing exactly the same for years and years and years! et sans problemes!

[quote user="Holedigger"]....French bureaucracy eh?[/quote]

Buy a Renault chassis-cab truck. Try changing the carte gris from fridge body to tipper body and be told by the prefecture "computer says NO". Realise that the people who fitted the fridge body never declared a shortened chassis as part of the job when it fails inspection at the DREAL as they were not required to, but for reasons unknown you now need to. Suffer a 2 month runnaround between DREAL, Prefecture and Renault, only to be told that once you finally have all the right papers and have paid the needed inspection fees that it was all unnecessary as the person at the prefecture never asked for any of it this time round.

Import a UK vehicle the is not homologated for France. Have the same DREAL runnaround and have to pay for an inspection so the chap with the clipboard can verify it has 2 seats, not 4. Find out a few weeks later that it IS homologated after all as the bloody kitchen designer has one exactly the same that he bought here with no hassle.

Start a business.

Employ some people. Look how much tax you have to pay.

Try firing one of your employees.

Your 3 year contract is up, now close down your business. Finally get it closed down pretty much one year after you finish trading.

Have two different jobs. Try paying taxes on them.

Have the audacity - the sheer bold cheek- to earn more at your "second" job than your "primary" job in one financial year and watch the tax office staff have kittens.

Change insurers part way through your policy term as a change in circumstances makes your insurer massively overpriced.

.....then tell me French bureaucracy is easy.