Recycling books

EmilyA

In our precious tip, run by a very enthusiastic young blade, even books were refused.

He said he couldn't possibly allow books!

Here, however, I do just shy the odd book into the yellow sack and just let them deal with it.

Now I have about 3 large bags of books bequeathed to me by friends going to live elsewhere in the EU.  They are not the sort of books I'd normally read; think Wilbur Smith, etc and I am not quite sure which charity I could persuade to relieve me of them!

I know my friends are in the throes of moving countries so I just took them to help out.  Now I'm the one lumbered with them![:'(] 

[quote user="sweet 17"]

In our precious tip, run by a very enthusiastic young blade, even books were refused.

He said he couldn't possibly allow books!

Here, however, I do just shy the odd book into the yellow sack and just let them deal with it.

Now I have about 3 large bags of books bequeathed to me by friends going to live elsewhere in the EU.  They are not the sort of books I'd normally read; think Wilbur Smith, etc and I am not quite sure which charity I could persuade to relieve me of them!

I know my friends are in the throes of moving countries so I just took them to help out.  Now I'm the one lumbered with them![:'(] 

[/quote]

Fuel for the winter...

Yes, sadly, paperbacks are (more and more) making their way to the recycling bin. At first, I felt utterly sacrilegious, until I found out that many other avid readers and book collectors end up doing just the same, as books are so plentiful and increasingly being refused by libraries, and other charities than Emmaus. I think they still take them, but am not even sure. [:(]

They are great for getting the fire going.

As above, I ended up lumbered with a large number of books when friends moved away. They asked if I wanted anything of the stuff they were not packing and I had a nosey through the books. They told me if I wanted some I had to take them all, so I took them all - literally an entire car load. 92.7% of them turned out to be unreadable Jilly Cooper style drivel or adventures aimed at young teenagers and I have been stuck with them since, unable to give them away. In the end, I started burning them.

quote sweet "Don't even have a real fire to burn anything nowadays; totally all-electric, hooray!-------

How did you manage back in 1999, and a couple of years back, in total we had no power for 7 weeks let alone other power cuts.

" totally all-electric" me thinks a bit risky

Emily,

We have quite a lot of active books exchanges here - mainly english run, but not entirely.  You might find one in your area.

As a professional librarian (retd!) I just could not burn books if they were still useful, smacks of burning bibles etc and the reformation.

Another possibility - find a vide grenier and offer them in bundles for a ridiculous low price or even free ...

Or leave them on a table outside your house and ask people to take them ...

I agree that the one you mentioned may not be of much use, so if you can tear off the binding, I'm sure it could go in the recycling, and you could burn the cover!

They are all like that Judith. We have 8,000 of the useful ones!

Have got rid of a lot to our book club and vide greniers; these are what is left.

Thanks to all for replies, but not sure I have an answer yet.

Will take some to the dechetterie and see what happens.